SSS looks at Danks mechanics changes

southsider2k5

At this point, Danks has below average stuff for a ML starter. He needs to be pin-point with his control and he hasn't exactly had the best control in the past. The only way he can succeed consistently is if he cleans up his mechanics to get better control.

He's limited the runs in his last 3 starts, but his peripherals don't seem any better outside of the 0 HRs allowed. Still, I'll take anything out of Danks at this point. Hopefully he'll be more than paperweight next year.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
Yeah, he looks much cleaner now. Hopefully this carries over to next year.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2014/9/23/6832...h-seasons-again

does anyone remember a game that he went back out to the bullpen

to work on his delivery or something. the problem is I can't remember

if it was during his start or not. I remember hawk making a mention of

it. there he is working with a coach on his delivery.

that is what saw and that made me more of a fan of him. he is refusing

to give up..

Perhaps it's because I really don't know much about FIP and all that jazz, but I still think John can be a quality starter for us next year. I'd trade him if they get the oppertunity to do so without paying an arm and a leg, but I don't see the need to do a straight up salary dump where they pay 50%+ and get nothing in return.

His numbers look awful because of a few truly dreadful games, but for the most part he's been able to keep the team in it for most games. Whereas a guy like Edwin Jackson, who some here wanna swap (I know it comes with the caveat of working with Coop again), has consistently been trash.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
Perhaps it's because I really don't know much about FIP and all that jazz, but I still think John can be a quality starter for us next year. I'd trade him if they get the oppertunity to do so without paying an arm and a leg, but I don't see the need to do a straight up salary dump where they pay 50%+ and get nothing in return.

His numbers look awful because of a few truly dreadful games, but for the most part he's been able to keep the team in it for most games. Whereas a guy like Edwin Jackson, who some here wanna swap (I know it comes with the caveat of working with Coop again), has consistently been trash.

He's got a chance to do that. And yeah, he's had his fair share of awful starts, but it's not like those don't count.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
He's got a chance to do that. And yeah, he's had his fair share of awful starts, but it's not like those don't count.

They do, but I'll take a 4/5 starter who gets rocked in 5 or 6 of 30 starts and pitches close to a #3 for the other 24 or 25 starts all day....Only thing that sucks about Danks is his salary which is why I said I'd be open to trading him.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
Sox and Danks need to part ways hopefully a trade partner in found this winter. Danks salad days are behind him.

The only way Danks gets dealt this off season is if we either pay most of the remaining contract (not happening) or take on another bad contract instead. Are you ready for the BJ Upton era?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 06:07 PM)
I still see a potential matchup with Dodgers for one of their outfielders + cash coming to the Sox.

for my part that will be a bad trade. what are the sox going for Crawford or Ethier?

their contract is what in yrs and salary. there is no way that will be cost effective,

even if the dodger help with the salary.

the sox will be not to swift if that is all they want, they could be asking for a prospects

as well.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 11:20 AM)
for my part that will be a bad trade. what are the sox going for Crawford or Ethier?

their contract is what in yrs and salary. there is no way that will be cost effective,

even if the dodger help with the salary.

the sox will be not to swift if that is all they want, they could be asking for a prospects

as well.

The idea is it would be mostly a wash.

The reality is that we need a LF, so it would make sense for us if the money was close to even. But why would the Dodgers do it? Maybe if they think they can turn Danks into an effective reliever?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
The only way Danks gets dealt this off season is if we either pay most of the remaining contract (not happening) or take on another bad contract instead. Are you ready for the BJ Upton era?

I know it is not ideal, but having one of the worst ranked starting pitcher in baseball in rotation again is something I do not care to see again in 2015.

Edited by Soxfest

Just don't let him start against garbage teams and he'll be gravy...Still so weird that dude has been rocked by truly dreadful teams like Houston, Texas, and Minny, while having a 3.40 ERA in 153 innings against teams other than those 3.

Just like Dunn being able to destroy good pitching but being awful against awful pitching....

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
The idea is it would be mostly a wash.

The reality is that we need a LF, so it would make sense for us if the money was close to even. But why would the Dodgers do it? Maybe if they think they can turn Danks into an effective reliever?

At some point you need innings eaters and he could fit that bill, especially with some of the injuries. Haren is a FA as well so he could slide in. They have had injury issues in back end of rotation and they clearly need to clean up the clubhouse a bit. Right now there are too many issues internally and a lot of it would appear to be tied to the logjam of outfielders and players not comfortable/happy in their current roles. I honestly don't know what else Dodgers could do? Danks seems more attractive then others but when giving up expensive players with big contracts you can't expect much in return. At least in this case, we get a solid play. Hell, if it is Ethier, you get a guy with a good OPS + every year but this year. Is he done, could be, but it could also be largely driven by his attitude issues. That said, you got to manage the personality. I don't know, maybe they'd rather have Crawford who is more of an injury risk.

Either way, we need outfielders and left handed bats and both of these guys, while extremely overpaid, have a shot at still being productive players and filling needs.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
At some point you need innings eaters and he could fit that bill, especially with some of the injuries. Haren is a FA as well so he could slide in. They have had injury issues in back end of rotation and they clearly need to clean up the clubhouse a bit. Right now there are too many issues internally and a lot of it would appear to be tied to the logjam of outfielders and players not comfortable/happy in their current roles. I honestly don't know what else Dodgers could do? Danks seems more attractive then others but when giving up expensive players with big contracts you can't expect much in return. At least in this case, we get a solid play. Hell, if it is Ethier, you get a guy with a good OPS + every year but this year. Is he done, could be, but it could also be largely driven by his attitude issues. That said, you got to manage the personality. I don't know, maybe they'd rather have Crawford who is more of an injury risk.

Either way, we need outfielders and left handed bats and both of these guys, while extremely overpaid, have a shot at still being productive players and filling needs.

After the ups and downs with Rios, I think they're going to be likely to steer away from a big financial commitment to an aging/veteran player unless they feel 100% confident he's the best (and right) fit for that clubhouse.

Of those two, I'd be more likely to get behind Crawford and praying for good health than praying that Ethier's best years (even as a platoon hitter) are behind him.

The idea of Crawford/Eaton/Micah is exciting, and I think Carl would be more comfortable back in the AL, where he had his real success before signing that megadeal with Boston.

It's a crapshoot...guys like Hanley Ramirez and Sandoval and Shields and Martinez, wondering how long they'll last physically. Then there are those anomalies like Juan Uribe (at his size/weight) who are surprising everyone by being productive for so long.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 07:46 PM)

I agree in the most part, a couple of months ago I was trying to factor this trade with the dodgers.

first the sox trade for 1 of their outfielders with a big contract for danks. dodgers add salary.

the problems with this danks contracts has 2 yrs left, how many more yrs and salary will be

on the sox to eat? this is all I said before,

second, the dodgers need to add prospect or 2 to offset that additional salary for those yrs.

the dodgers are in a big need to shed salary, now that kemp has regain his hitting.

sorry about the late replying, I was at work before. now I am home.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)

FYI, I also think Ethier makes a lot of sense for the Sox too. I don't know how they get him - whether it's Danks or not - but it's a move that makes a lot of sense on the surface, especially if the Sox can find a productive way out of the Danks contract.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
I agree in the most part, a couple of months ago I was trying to factor this trade with the dodgers.

first the sox trade for 1 of their outfielders with a big contract for danks. dodgers add salary.

the problems with this danks contracts has 2 yrs left, how many more yrs and salary will be

on the sox to eat? this is all I said before,

second, the dodgers need to add prospect or 2 to offset that additional salary for those yrs.

the dodgers are in a big need to shed salary, now that kemp has regain his hitting.

sorry about the late replying, I was at work before. now I am home.

Not to shed salary, they're rolling in dough.

It's to ease the chemistry issues created trying to balance the respective egos of Kemp and Puig, getting enough at-bats for Ethier and Crawford to keep them sharp and productive as well as opening up a position for super prospect Joc Pederson.

Edited by caulfield12

I just question if John is really capable of being "an innings eater" at this point. He seems more likely to be a guy that rarely gets out of the 6th inning IMO. Even if he makes 25+ starts he's not giving the pen much of a rest because he's constantly knocked out of games early.

I guess he could be a decent 5th starter or maybe even a 4th if he can harness his command and control but I'd still prefer trying to move him. Don't think the Sox have room for him in the rotation if they want to contend in '15.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 09:56 PM)
FYI, I also think Ethier makes a lot of sense for the Sox too. I don't know how they get him - whether it's Danks or not - but it's a move that makes a lot of sense on the surface, especially if the Sox can find a productive way out of the Danks contract.

here is the thought I came up with, the dodgers was what, trying to trade 1 of their

3 outfielders at trade deadline. not too many teams would want to pick up that

salary hit, esp for a gamble. so let say the sox does, I was hoping in Ehtier, then

Kemp and unless the dodgers had more prospect, then Crawford.

the 1 thing I like, dodgers really want to add Pederson to the lineup and Seager will

be next. the of'ers contract is steep, but how bad do they want to make this happen.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
I just question if John is really capable of being "an innings eater" at this point. He seems more likely to be a guy that rarely gets out of the 6th inning IMO. Even if he makes 25+ starts he's not giving the pen much of a rest because he's constantly knocked out of games early.

I guess he could be a decent 5th starter or maybe even a 4th if he can harness his command and control but I'd still prefer trying to move him. Don't think the Sox have room for him in the rotation if they want to contend in '15.

Danks is #20 in the AL and #49 in MLB in IP.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 10:14 PM)

except for the yr or 2 around his injury, he was good for a 160+ innings a yr. look at what

was being said on the rumor site about Haren and his salary of 10 mil.