Is Corey Hart worth a shot?

TheFutureIsNear

Missed the entire 2013 season after knee surgery and stunk in the 250 AB's he got with the Mariners this past season....However, he's not yet 33 and hit 87 HR's while maintaining a .270+ avg and .330+ obp the past 3 years he was on the field and healthy. He is now an outright free agent after being released by the Mariners and doesn't have to wait until after the WS to sign.

So....is he worth buying low on and hoping he can get healthy next year and return to form? Personally, I'd take the shot and do it what it takes to get him committed to our team next spring and see if the knee is healthy and he can bounce back.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 11:37 PM)
I'd rather take a shot with someone who wasn't really bad this year.

Of course, the problem with really good players is that they are going to be expensive.

If it were a minor league contract, I'd be OK with it, but he'll likely get guaranteed money from someone. He likely wouldn't have a spot in the starting lineup, the Sox already have 2 guys who can presumably hit LHP in Sierra and Semien, and I don't think you'd get much in return for Corey Hart even if he was producing well. There's just not a lot of value in 33 year old players on 1 year deals.

Of course, the problem with really good players is that they are going to be expensive.

If it were a minor league contract, I'd be OK with it, but he'll likely get guaranteed money from someone. He likely wouldn't have a spot in the starting lineup, the Sox already have 2 guys who can presumably hit LHP in Sierra and Semien, and I don't think you'd get much in return for Corey Hart even if he was producing well. There's just not a lot of value in 33 year old players on 1 year deals.

Not a lot of value? Did you not read my promotion idea?

Aside from the sunglasses promo, there just isn't a lot of upside, IMO. Even if he does still possess some skill "if healthy", he's got two years of age between him and his 122 wRC+ from 2012, and he's really a 1B/DH. That's a little better than Adam Dunn, but it comes from the right side and we can't be sure it's really still in him anyway.

As a "last resort," sure, but it would mean that Hahn really missed on a lot of others. To me it's less about money and more about just finding a better solution than that overall.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
Yeah, again, listening to Rick and Kenny, if we bring in an OF, he is going to be lefthanded. Period.

I know he doesn't play outfield as much, but watching the SF-WSH series is making me want Hahn to push extra hard to get Brandon Belt, he'd be an ideal acquisition. Just don't know how much SF would want..

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
I've been championing the Belt acquisition for a while and I am perturbed by the fact that the Giants chose to start Ishikawa in LF over Belt. They either have little confidence in him as an outfielder or didn't want to jumble up the lineup too much. We can only hope it's the latter but it's more likely to be the former.

With Mike Morse becoming a free agent, you think the Sox could build a trade centered around Tank and Belt? Another angle is if SF let's Panda walk, the Sox could try using Gillaspie as part of a trade as well. Just throwing stuff out there is all.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
No one thinks much of Tank and he would be scary bad in the SF's spacious outfield with the worst shadows in baseball. I would guess the Giants don't think much of Gillaspie as they gave him up for Jeff Soptic.

I would trade Gillaspie and Viciedo, sign Chase Headley and Chris Young, and trade for Belt and Nava. Hopefully we can pry Nava, who is without a spot in Boston, for less than he's worth. Headley and Young would both be signed on the low. Defense, offense and balance are all improved while the only real assets (other than $$ for Headley and Young) going out would be whatever it takes to add Belt who would then join the young core.

L CF Eaton

2B whoever

R 1B/DH Abreu

L DH/1B/LF Belt

R RF Garcia

S 3B Headley

L LF/1B/DH Nava

R SS Ramirez

R C Flowers

I don't know raBBit, giving Robin this many options may confuse him. :P

I think since Tank is only 25 and can hit 20+ HR's, some teams would still value that and would be willing to sacrifice some fielding for power potential.

I like your ideas with the exception of Nava, just not high on him and IMO we could get the same production out of Sierra.

As for Belt. What do the Giants need that the Sox have available? That's why I thought they might be interested in Tank to replace Morse and Gillaspie to replace Panda. Both Tank and Gillaspie give the Giants players to fill voids as well as payroll flexibility since neither Tank or Gillaspie are that expensive. Not really sure what other holes the Giants will have that the Sox could help fill in a trade for Belt.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
If the FO was to probe into a trade for Belt it would have to be us moving prospects. I think Tank could be involved but it'd be more likely to be one of our 2B prospects and one of the SP pitchers who are succeeding. I see a trade for Belt being very similar to the trade for Swisher before '08. Obviously that doesn't help my argument but Belt is a guy who can be a premier left-handed hitter in today's climate. The more I look into him, the less I am willing to believe an outstanding GM like Sabean would be willing to part with him but if Sabean is inclined to do so, he could probably do better with a team other than our Sox.

I just wanted to bold this because it's easily the first time I've ever seen it written.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
As you for your first point, I wouldn't use the same words but yes Robin has been reluctant to use his bench players but I feel this year Hahn may force his hand.

Sierra is nothing like Nava in any respect. Sierra's value comes in his arm and power potential. Nava is one of the more consistent and underrated players. He's basically a better version of what Gillaspie was this year with position flexibility. He hammers RHP and gets on-base at a great clip.

If the FO was to probe into a trade for Belt it would have to be us moving prospects. I think Tank could be involved but it'd be more likely to be one of our 2B prospects and one of the SP pitchers who are succeeding. I see a trade for Belt being very similar to the trade for Swisher before '08. Obviously that doesn't help my argument but Belt is a guy who can be a premier left-handed hitter in today's climate. The more I look into him, the less I am willing to believe an outstanding GM like Sabean would be willing to part with him but if Sabean is inclined to do so, he could probably do better with a team other than our Sox.

Belt's made adjustments every year and was on his way to a career year until he got his thumb injury. I said in May when he went down that he was going to have his power zapped and weigh down his immediate value. We all know how thumb/hand injuries can run a player's season watching PK over the years. I hope that because of this turn of events the Susac/Posey combination is enough to push Belt out of San Fran. Susac has been great for the Giants in his short time and Posey has shown them once again that they that bat in the everyday lineup. I do fear they move Posey to 3B and keep Belt at 1B. If anyone recalls, Posey was a SS at FSU before he became the Golden Spikes winning catcher.

I will keep opining for him until the Giants' camp expresses what they're going to do with Susac, Posey and Sandoval. I would be hard-pressed to find a more ideal fit for us than Belt. Whether he can play LF is an issue, but I think his upside at the plate is enough to restrict the DH position to him and Abreu.

I'd ship off Montas/Danish, Sanchez + wouldn't think twice.

I won't lie, you make some good points. Thing is that Nava doesn't fit the mold of the type of player Hahn has described. But, since you got me thinking more about Nava, he could be a good alternative to signing a costly free agent like Victor Martinez whom the Sox are unlikely to sign anyway. Nava would help with the lack of power from the left side. I admit, I'm warming up to the idea more and more.

As for Belt. Couldn't the Giants put Belt in LF to replace Morse? I know that would kill the discussion but looking at it from the Giants POV, it would make sense.

In that case I would turn my attention to Heyward in Atlanta. Not to change the discussion but I wonder if the Braves would consider your trade proposal for Belt. I'm guessing it might take a bit more but IMO, worth the inquiry.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)
Before we got Abreu ,Corey Hart was all the rage around here while I was vehemently against it . Of course I was pushing for James Loney who doesn't hit for power but he had his average year pretty much.

Haha, I mentioned Loney's name last winter too and was pretty much laughed at so I know what you mean.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
No one thinks much of Tank and he would be scary bad in the SF's spacious outfield with the worst shadows in baseball. I would guess the Giants don't think much of Gillaspie as they gave him up for Jeff Soptic.

I would trade Gillaspie and Viciedo, sign Chase Headley and Chris Young, and trade for Belt and Nava.

Who exactly do we have to trade to get Belt and Nava.

Nava is one of those guys that "never happens" so we're told...someone who wasn't worth a hoot until they were almost 30.

Speaking of Beckham, did we ever find out what the Sox side of that deal amounts to?

Edited by GreenSox