Frank Montas Scouting Report- Baseball America

Ozzie Ball

I'm excited about Montas.

That said, I wouldn't mind trading him at the crest of his hype. I'm not saying SHOP him, but if we want to get in on some star-level guy on the trade market, I'd love to dangle Montas as a centerpiece.

Reasons:

1. Velocity doesn't go anywhere but down. Guys with great velo and poor command tend to quickly turn into guys with ok velo and poor command. Scouting report sounds eerily similar to Ubaldo.

2. Selling high on him would cap a great return for Peavy. This guy was a distant #2 piece that has turned into what is currently a very valuable asset.

3. Pitchers get hurt, especialyl when they throw 80-grade gas. Risky to keep this asset, less risky to give it to someone else in exchange for the bird in the hand.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)

That said, I wouldn't mind trading him at the crest of his hype. I'm not saying SHOP him, but if we want to get in on some star-level guy on the trade market, I'd love to dangle Montas as a centerpiece.

Reasons:

1. Velocity doesn't go anywhere but down. Guys with great velo and poor command tend to quickly turn into guys with ok velo and poor command. Scouting report sounds eerily similar to Ubaldo.

2. Selling high on him would cap a great return for Peavy. This guy was a distant #2 piece that has turned into what is currently a very valuable asset.

3. Pitchers get hurt, especialyl when they throw 80-grade gas. Risky to keep this asset, less risky to give it to someone else in exchange for the bird in the hand.

Only if we are getting a star LH power hitter back.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)

Reasons:

right now Montas is potential unproven. I think he should have a couple of seasons under his

belt to max the rtn.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)

Reasons:

This is an interesting idea with logical points made to support it. I agree that a guy like Montas does not need to be shopped as teams will naturally inquire about his availability. I'm very curious as to what kind of return Montas would bring or with him as part of a package.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
Frankly, I wouldn't write-off moving Montas or Danish for that matter. I could imagine many scenarios where it makes sense. Especially if we're the '15/'16 playoff hopes become imminent.

Both guys had very impressive years but definitely have their warts. Like others have said, it wouldn't hurt to strike while the iron is hottest. While I do believe, we will be on the verge of competing very soon, one of the more interesting aspects of the team is going to be how Hahn handles our farm system in these "playoff" years. Ever since Hahn took over the team hasn't been a playoff team but once we are I am sure we will see some moves reminiscent of the KW era. I am not saying that's a good or bad thing but it seems people have locked Hahn in as the guy to save the minor leagues and keep the young guys around while Kenny is the devil who traded away all of our valuable prospects. It's far too early to make that judgement. Hahn was very much a part of the acquisitions taking place during the KW era and we'll surely see him stray from his, to this point, conservative nature. The interesting part will be the extent to which strays.

I am interested too, but I think we saw some of that in 2012. The Sox went out and got Youkilis, Liriano, and Myers for what looked like virtually nothing at the time. Knowing how the Twins work their magic, Escobar naturally turned into a good looking player. Guys who had lower value than normal and looked like potential boom players. I think with an upgraded farm system, you may see better players brought in, but I don't think he's going to be a guy who will be too willing to overpay. In some situations though, you do have to.

Liriano was a guy I did want the Sox to keep after 2012 as I though he could be good with the Sox like he was with the Pirates, but I don't think his style really meshed well with Cooper's.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 09:36 PM)
Frankly, I wouldn't write-off moving Montas or Danish for that matter. I could imagine many scenarios

where it makes sense. Especially if we're the '15/'16 playoff hopes become imminent.

Both guys had very impressive years but definitely have their warts. Like others have said, it wouldn't

hurt to strike while the iron is hottest. While I do believe, we will be on the verge of competing very soon,

one of the more interesting aspects of the team is going to be how Hahn handles our farm system in

these "playoff" years. Ever since Hahn took over the team hasn't been a playoff team but once we are

I am sure we will see some moves reminiscent of the KW era. I am not saying that's a good or bad thing

but it seems people have locked Hahn in as the guy to save the minor leagues and keep the young guys

around while Kenny is the devil who traded away all of our valuable prospects. It's far too early to make

that judgement. Hahn was very much a part of the acquisitions taking place during the KW era and we'll

surely see him stray from his, to this point, conservative nature. The interesting part will be the extent to which strays.

the product of cost of diminishing return or the cost of doing business. remember 1 important thing. KW

got and maneuvered and help get that championship ring.

the state of the minor league needs to be rebuilt.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 09:56 PM)
I am interested too, but I think we saw some of that in 2012. The Sox went out and got Youkilis, Liriano,

and Myers for what looked like virtually nothing at the time. Knowing how the Twins work their magic,

Escobar naturally turned into a good looking player. Guys who had lower value than normal and looked

like potential boom players. #2 ~ I think with an upgraded farm system, you may see better players

brought in, but I don't think he's going to be a guy who will be too willing to overpay. In some situations

though, you do have to.

Liriano was a guy I did want the Sox to keep after 2012 as I though he could be good with the Sox like

he was with the Pirates, but #1. I don't think his style really meshed well with Cooper's.

1. interesting thought.

2. and with a better larger minor league, the sox may even use that surplus as trade material

for missing pieces.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
I am interested too, but I think we saw some of that in 2012. The Sox went out and got Youkilis, Liriano, and Myers for what looked like virtually nothing at the time. Knowing how the Twins work their magic, Escobar naturally turned into a good looking player. Guys who had lower value than normal and looked like potential boom players. I think with an upgraded farm system, you may see better players brought in, but I don't think he's going to be a guy who will be too willing to overpay. In some situations though, you do have to.

Liriano was a guy I did want the Sox to keep after 2012 as I though he could be good with the Sox like he was with the Pirates, but I don't think his style really meshed well with Cooper's.

It would have made sense to do what the Pirates did and convert him to a two-seam sinking fastball pitcher and away from overreliance on the 4 seam and slider.

We actually had the infield defense to go along with that strategy in 2013, except at 3B.

And, as soon as you mention Liriano, Volquez is another name that pops up...given up for dead and then he ends up being the ace of the staff down the stretch over Cole/Liriano and gets the wildcard start (which obviously didn't go very well).

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
This is an interesting idea with logical points made to support it. I agree that a guy like Montas does not need to be shopped as teams will naturally inquire about his availability. I'm very curious as to what kind of return Montas would bring or with him as part of a package.

I think this is the type of guy that would have to start a conversation about, say, Belt.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
I think this is the type of guy that would have to start a conversation about, say, Belt.

As I said in another thread, with Morse heading to FA and leaving LF vacant it makes too much sense for the Giants to put Belt in LF.

But for conversations sake, Lets say he can be had for the right price. I agree that Montas would raise an eye but what else do the Sox have to send with Montas that the Sox aren't trying to hold onto? I wonder if there's any chance they would have interest in Gillaspie since it looks like Panda is going to FA. I don't think Gillaspie/ Montas makes a trade but could be intriguing enough for trade discussions to continue/ get started.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 07:23 PM)
As I said in another thread, with Morse heading to FA and leaving LF vacant it makes too much sense for the Giants to put Belt in LF.

But for conversations sake, Lets say he can be had for the right price. I agree that Montas would raise an eye but what else do the Sox have to send with Montas that the Sox aren't trying to hold onto? I wonder if there's any chance they would have interest in Gillaspie since it looks like Panda is going to FA. I don't think Gillaspie/ Montas makes a trade but could be intriguing enough for trade discussions to continue/ get started.

Didn't Gillaspie have a public falling out with SFG before they dumped him? I doubt they'd want him back.

Also, I think it would take more. Like Montas/Semien/random flyer or two. Maybe even a stronger #2 piece than Semien, actually.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
Didn't Gillaspie have a public falling out with SFG before they dumped him? I doubt they'd want him back.

Also, I think it would take more. Like Montas/Semien/random flyer or two. Maybe even a stronger #2 piece than Semien, actually.

I seem to recall some rumblings of some attitude issues with Conor in SF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
I seem to recall some rumblings of some attitude issues with Conor in SF.

Always do wonder how much "Knowing you're blocked and having no shot at playing for the big league team unless someone gets hurt" plays into such things.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
Trading the little bit of young pitching we have is not advisable.

That's how we got into this mess.

Sox couldnt' even cobble together a decent starting 5 last year, not to mention a bullpen.

Sure as heck don't need another Swisher trade.

We're not talking about trading our guys for like Matt Kemp or anything, we're talking about cost-controlled, mid-to-late twenties guys that fill long-term holes, like Brandon Belt.

Building around pitching prospects is incredibly risky business -- or at least riskier than building around positional guys. To me, we have enough holes to fill on the roster that I'll gladly trade some risky upside for a bird in the hand, so long as said bird is controllable with upside.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
Trading the little bit of young pitching we have is not advisable.

That's how we got into this mess.

Sox couldnt' even cobble together a decent starting 5 last year, not to mention a bullpen.

Sure as heck don't need another Swisher trade.

Sox are actually pretty deep with young SP. Just isn't really close to the majors.

Carlos Rodon

Francellis Montas

Tyler Danish

Spencer Adams

Luis Martinez

Chris Beck

Chris Bassitt

Erik Johnson

That doesn't even mention the bullpen types. I'm not advocating trading them. I am just pointing out that the system is as flush with quality SP as it's been in awhile.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)

I did not know that about Gillaspie, there goes that...

Let's put it this way. Since Belt is likely to fill the LF void left by Morse, the Sox will likely have to over pay to get Belt and that's not likely to happen either. I would love to have Belt but the idea is just not very reasonable.

Montas could be used as part of a package for Travis Snyder tho.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
I did not know that about Gillaspie, there goes that...

Let's put it this way. Since Belt is likely to fill the LF void left by Morse, the Sox will likely have to over pay to get Belt and that's not likely to happen either. I would love to have Belt but the idea is just not very reasonable.

Montas could be used as part of a package for Travis Snyder tho.

Belt: You're right, prob not available. Just saying that's the TYPE of guy to target with a guy like Montas.

Snider: Holy god Hahn would be instantly fired if he traded Montas for Snider.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)
Totally agree.

This time next year it will be nice to pencil in Sale/Quintana/Rodon as our 1-3 who would be controlled cheaply for the next five years. I think this year there should be an emphasis of getting one #4/#5 out of Beck/Bassit/Johnson and I don't think that's a lot to ask.

the sox need to get over the little hurdle, the beginning of next season with

good players. the system is starting to look really good.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
Belt: You're right, prob not available. Just saying that's the TYPE of guy to target with a guy like Montas.

Snider: Holy god Hahn would be instantly fired if he traded Montas for Snider.

Yes he would. I really do and always have liked Travis Snider though, so it was weird when his name was brought up. He's kind of established himself as a perfect complementary player in Pittsburgh though and I think you are going to have to pay way too much to acquire him.