Free Agents

LDF

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 07:27 PM)
Everyone can be terrible next year. No reason to ever spend money in an effort to improve. As Stacey says, if you are scared, buy a dog.

Morales with Boras being his agent, probably would opt for a one year deal instead of going really cheap for 2 or 3.

ref Kendrys Morales forgetting who is agent is for this discussion, has some nice numbers.

forget last yr stats for the past 4-5 yrs, his hit total is way more than his K totals. his Walk

totals is 30+ a yr which is close to 1/2 of K totals. his homeruns is 20+ a yrs.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/moralke01.shtml

if I remember correctly Brandon McCarthy seem to have been hurt a lot / fragile. while

he may have some tools that I like. the sox need a healthy pitcher.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mccarbr01.shtml

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 10:58 PM)
With Peavy's performance tonight, I'd sign Jake to a two-year deal for six million a year. Can Sox get him on the cheap?

Nope, he's likely to receive $10-12 million per season for 2 years.

Also VERY likely to stay in the NL this time.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 05:03 AM)
Nope, he's likely to receive $10-12 million per season for 2 years.

Also VERY likely to stay in the NL this time.

Just a thought but if the Giants win, Peavy will have won 2 World Series titles in 2 years. But he has school age kids and the downside is he went from Chicago to Boston to SF in 2 straight seasons. I wonder if Peavy will want some family stability rather than money for the next contract???

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
Just a thought but if the Giants win, Peavy will have won 2 World Series titles in 2 years. But he has school age kids and the downside is he went from Chicago to Boston to SF in 2 straight seasons. I wonder if Peavy will want some family stability rather than money for the next contract???

yeah I agree with you, and like Greg said, if the price is right, sign him.

but as in Brandon the underlining concern at least for me, is can he stay healthy.

in addition, I think that his presence / leadership in the clubhouse will be a welcome

addition to the pitching staff.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)
With Peavy's performance tonight, I'd sign Jake to a two-year deal for six million a year. Can Sox get him on the cheap?

I don't mean this as an insult, but based on your offer for James Shields too, you honestly have no grasp of the current free agent market. A pitcher like Peavy would have signed for $6 mill a year like 10 years ago.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
I don't mean this as an insult, but based on your offer for James Shields too, you honestly have no grasp of the current free agent market. A pitcher like Peavy would have signed for $6 mill a year like 10 years ago.

One additional thought on Peavy. He is coming off a pretty rocky season and it appears he may be a 6 inning starter at this stage of his career. That will lower his value somewhat. But that also could be a problem coming back to the White Sox. If Rodon makes the roster at any point next year, it will surely be on a limited pitch count. Considering the bullpen, the Sox may need to find more of an inning eater for the RH starter they need to add.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
One additional thought on Peavy. He is coming off a pretty rocky season and it appears he may be a 6 inning starter at this stage of his career. That will lower his value somewhat. But that also could be a problem coming back to the White Sox. If Rodon makes the roster at any point next year, it will surely be on a limited pitch count. Considering the bullpen, the Sox may need to find more of an inning eater for the RH starter they need to add.

I wonder if Peavy might be good in the bullpen. Not sure anyone would be willing to try it with him at this point, but there are some flags there that tell me it may be a good fit in the latter stages of his career.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
I wonder if Peavy might be good in the bullpen. Not sure anyone would be willing to try it with him at this point, but there are some flags there that tell me it may be a good fit in the latter stages of his career.

I think the more important question is, would Peavy be willing to try working out of the bullpen? I'd bet the answer would be a resounding no.

Some NL team will be more than happy to sign Peavy as a starter. Who knows, maybe even SD would be interested if the price was right. Its where Jake got his start and where he reluctantly left in the first place, an extremely pitcher friendly ballpark and Jake probably still has ties to the FO in some way.

Interesting, though it would require trading Quintana and Danks and isn't likely...

"Jake Peavy told reporters, including Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times, that he will be interested to see where his close friend Jon Lester signs this offseason. Peavy had no qualms in stating that he’d like to once again be teammates with his friend: “I’ve certainly talked to Jon Lester because we’re buddies,” said Peavy. “So I have a feel for what he does. And I certainly know that Chicago would interest him and interest me.” Peavy clarified that he’s not suggesting a package deal for the Cubs, but rather, “There’s a package deal out there for any team.” Wittenmyer spoke to a few people close to Peavy who believe the Cubs would be high on his offseason wishlist, however, having spent several years there with the White Sox."

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
Saying Domonic Brown has the potential to hit better is really stretching the word potential to its limits. He stunk just as badly as Morales last year, except he doesn't have Morales' track record or the excuse of signing with a team in the middle of the year.

Morales is in his 30s and is on a stead 3 year decline. I'll pass on declining veterans.

Brown is in his 20s, and arguably was mishandled by the Phils the idea here is just a Vic for Brown swap. He may not work out - but then again, I don't believe in this "all in" stuff

And the idea of "all in" for this season is ridiculous. What does that mean anyway? Isn't the idea for the Sox to start fielding consistent playoff teams.

Contrivances don't work. Blue Jays did that recently and it failed miserably.

Look at Giants- consistent infusion of talent, including significant homegrown talent.

Edited by GreenSox

One of the big reasons Brown tanked this year is a dramatic, probably unsustainable collapse of his HR/FB rate. It is distinctly possible that it rebounds and he becomes a 30HR guy.

I think they would want more than Viciedo but I would be fine giving them slightly more than nothing instead of nothing.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 06:31 PM)
Interesting, though it would require trading Quintana and Danks and isn't likely...

"Jake Peavy told reporters, including Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times, that he will be interested to see where his close friend Jon Lester signs this offseason. Peavy had no qualms in stating that he’d like to once again be teammates with his friend: “I’ve certainly talked to Jon Lester because we’re buddies,” said Peavy. “So I have a feel for what he does. And I certainly know that Chicago would interest him and interest me.” Peavy clarified that he’s not suggesting a package deal for the Cubs, but rather, “There’s a package deal out there for any team.” Wittenmyer spoke to a few people close to Peavy who believe the Cubs would be high on his offseason wishlist, however, having spent several years there with the White Sox."

As usual, Jake Peavy, solidly focused on doing whatever he can to help his team win.

(Just shut up and f***ing pitch)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 07:23 PM)
As usual, Jake Peavy, solidly focused on doing whatever he can to help his team win.

(Just shut up and f***ing pitch)

:lol:

Well said!

Maybe he should have been thinking about the Royals instead of Lester and the cubs. The Royals sure as hell were thinking of him according to tonights game.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
But are you willing to stake your reputation on it?

Nope. Just repeating what was said to me. That was before his WS performance. SF's 2015 interest in Peavy prob depends on what they expect out of Cain and Lincecum. I'm sure Peavy likes pitchhing in that ballpark.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 09:00 AM)
Nope. Just repeating what was said to me. That was before his WS performance. SF's 2015 interest in Peavy prob depends on what they expect out of Cain and Lincecum. I'm sure Peavy likes pitchhing in that ballpark.

Either way, I will bet that you will hear Jake Peavy tell you about it.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 08:00 AM)

I was just making a Levine joke :P

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 06:41 PM)
Morales is in his 30s and is on a stead 3 year decline. I'll pass on declining veterans.

Brown is in his 20s, and arguably was mishandled by the Phils the idea here is just a Vic for Brown swap. He may not work out - but then again, I don't believe in this "all in" stuff

But Morales isn't a declining veteran who will require a hefty commitment. He's coming off an exceptionally terrible season with some unusual circumstances and he'll be cheap. I can see why you wouldn't want him but there are reasons to think he'll be a good buy low.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 07:11 PM)
One of the big reasons Brown tanked this year is a dramatic, probably unsustainable collapse of his HR/FB rate. It is distinctly possible that it rebounds and he becomes a 30HR guy.

The only thing unsustainable about that collapse is where it started from - his 19.3% in 2013 was well above his career norm, and it's not like he was some power monster in the minors. That was the only year of his pro career that he came anywhere near 30 homers, so just as the word potential was stretched earlier in the thread, I think you're doing the same with the phrase distinctly possible here.

If you put his HR/FB last year at his career average, give him another extra homer to be nice, and assume those seven new home runs had been outs before (again, being nice), his new season line becomes .249/.299/.408/.707. We already have a player who can provide offense like that with horrible defense.

Brown stinks. He's a classic bust who had one tease of a good season. He's 27. I would not give up anything more than Viciedo for him, but I wouldn't tender Viciedo in the first place.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
But Morales isn't a declining veteran who will require a hefty commitment. He's coming off an exceptionally terrible season with some unusual circumstances and he'll be cheap. I can see why you wouldn't want him but there are reasons to think he'll be a good buy low.

The only thing unsustainable about that collapse is where it started from - his 19.3% in 2013 was well above his career norm, and it's not like he was some power monster in the minors. That was the only year of his pro career that he came anywhere near 30 homers, so just as the word potential was stretched earlier in the thread, I think you're doing the same with the phrase distinctly possible here.

If you put his HR/FB last year at his career average, give him another extra homer to be nice, and assume those seven new home runs had been outs before (again, being nice), his new season line becomes .249/.299/.408/.707. We already have a player who can provide offense like that with horrible defense.

Brown stinks. He's a classic bust who had one tease of a good season. He's 27. I would not give up anything more than Viciedo for him, but I wouldn't tender Viciedo in the first place.

The more and more research I've done into Dominic Brown, the more I want the Sox to avoid him at all costs. Like I don't even want them to trade Viciedo for him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
The more and more research I've done into Dominic Brown, the more I want the Sox to avoid him at all costs. Like I don't even want them to trade Viciedo for him.

I almost said that but cut it out. Viciedo has youth, Brown has the one good season, so to me it's about a toss-up. If the Sox trade Viciedo, I'll probably just be too upset that they tendered him an offer at all and will hate whoever comes back. Move. On.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
I almost said that but cut it out. Viciedo has youth, Brown has the one good season, so to me it's about a toss-up. If the Sox trade Viciedo, I'll probably just be too upset that they tendered him an offer at all and will hate whoever comes back. Move. On.

It's just glimpses here and there of watching him and looking at his numbers, but there are a lot of red flags. He is a power hitter but hits a ton of ground balls. His overall peripherals are actually OK but he still hasn't ever put up a really good year. He's a terrible defender who is probably best served hidden at 1B. I think he'd be best served as a 1B/OF guy off the bench solely against RHP, and I think Danks is a guy who is already much better suited for that role.