Free Agents

LDF

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
It's just glimpses here and there of watching him and looking at his numbers, but there are a lot of red flags. He is a power hitter but hits a ton of ground balls. His overall peripherals are actually OK but he still hasn't ever put up a really good year. He's a terrible defender who is probably best served hidden at 1B. I think he'd be best served as a 1B/OF guy off the bench solely against RHP, and I think Danks is a guy who is already much better suited for that role.

The question with any setup like this is what the team is hoping to accomplish this year. If they're going to stay with buy-low guys, like Masterson in the rotation and Morales at 1b/DH or some equivalents of that, maybe with some added bullpen help on top of that, then the question with a guy like Brown would be "tell me a better option that we'd have a shot at".

If they're looking to spend beyond that, then f*** it, no room for him whatsoever.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.southsidesox.com/2014-15-white-...signated-hitter

Documents the top 10-12 DH choices and puts them into tiers...

really hard to get excited about the Sox acquiring any of them for obvious reasons with each particular player...we know we don't want to give Victor Martinez $56 million over 4 years and Hahn hasn't distinguished himself with bargain basement free agent shopping

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
http://www.southsidesox.com/2014-15-white-...signated-hitter

Documents the top 10-12 DH choices and puts them into tiers...

really hard to get excited about the Sox acquiring any of them for obvious reasons with each particular player...we know we don't want to give Victor Martinez $56 million over 4 years and Hahn hasn't distinguished himself with bargain basement free agent shopping

Trade for Adam Lind.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 12:00 AM)
Trade who? He's affordable, the Jays aren't going to give him up for nothing. What's the difference between him and Adam Laroche, for example, the next 2 years?

Nothing except Lind is younger and will cost SOME amount or level of talent to acquire.

OTOH, this team needs some playoff-experienced veteran leadership, and LaRoche checks off that particular box.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 02:02 AM)
Nothing except Lind is younger and will cost SOME amount or level of talent to acquire.

OTOH, this team needs some playoff-experienced veteran leadership, and LaRoche checks off that particular box.

Yeah, I just think you'd have to trade away some reasonably valuable young player(s) to get two years of Lind.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 01:02 AM)

Playoff-experienced leadership? This team need talent/production, not some personality attribute you're overhyping cause the World Series just ended.

And LaRoche has played in 17 postseason games in his 11 year career. I wouldn't call that a ton of experience.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 05:48 AM)
Playoff-experienced leadership? This team need talent/production, not some personality attribute you're overhyping cause the World Series just ended.

And LaRoche has played in 17 postseason games in his 11 year career. I wouldn't call that a ton of experience.

Other than Ramirez and Danks, we don't have anyone who has experienced the playoffs as a member of the White Sox.

Seven years is now quite far removed from 2008...it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a playoff veteran, but that helps when you have it on your resume. Other than Adam Eaton, there aren't many leaders on this team. With Konerko finally gone, hopefully Sale and Abreu will start to take on more of that responsibility.

We also don't have a manager who has ever made it. That's one of the pluses that hiring guys like Francona and Maddon provides.

I don't know if Bill James would agree with the idea of "overhyping" something just because it's not measurable or easily quantifiable.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 07:12 AM)
I don't know if Bill James would agree with the idea of "overhyping" something just because it's not measurable or easily quantifiable.

No, but he would probably accuse you of a recency bias. And quite frankly, how much playoff experience did that Royals team actually have outside of "Big Game" Shields? Seems like their lack of postseason experience didn't stop them from reaching game 7 of the World Series.

All else being equal, playoff experience would be nice to have, but we need to get to the playoffs first for that to even matter and that requires a talent infusion.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 07:02 AM)

I totally agree and was waiting for Wash to decide on Adam. the thing I notice, as you

said, veteran |s| who can lead. Adam is that kind of player.

funny you are mentioning veterans leadership here when I posted something similar on

a another post.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
Other than Ramirez and Danks, we don't have anyone who has experienced the playoffs as a member of the White Sox.

Seven years is now quite far removed from 2008...it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a playoff veteran,

but that helps when you have it on your resume. Other than Adam Eaton, there aren't many leaders on this team. With Konerko finally gone, hopefully Sale and Abreu will start to take on more of that responsibility.

We also don't have a manager who has ever made it. That's one of the pluses that hiring guys like Francona and Maddon provides.

I kind of disagree, I think Jose A is that kind of leader, but when you team have a player like

Paulie, not need to look elsewhere.

remember there are different types of leaders. I think the sox have those leaders on the team,

I think the sox needs a player, a veteran who can be a calming factor.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
I kind of disagree, I think Jose A is that kind of leader, but when you team have a player like

Paulie, not need to look elsewhere.

remember there are different types of leaders. I think the sox have those leaders on the team,

I think the sox needs a player, a veteran who can be a calming factor.

Just to say again...the 2013 and 2014 white sox did not look at all to me like a team that anyone would ever call well led or motivated. The best you can say about them is "they didn't completely quit in September of 2014". Sloppy, barely improving over a 2 year stretch, completely uninterested on defense, can't even do basic things like run hard to 1b or hit a cutoff man.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)
Just to say again...the 2013 and 2014 white sox did not look at all to me like a team that anyone would ever call well led or motivated. The best you can say about them is "they didn't completely quit in September of 2014". Sloppy, barely improving over a 2 year stretch, completely uninterested on defense, can't even do basic things like run hard to 1b or hit a cutoff man.

The 2013 White Sox looked unmotivated. The 2014 White Sox looked perfectly motivated, but it simply wasn't a very good team.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 01:47 AM)
Yeah, I just think you'd have to trade away some reasonably valuable young player(s) to get two years of Lind.

I don't think it will take that much. Reading the stuff that has come out of Toronto, it sounds like they have to deal him because they want the $$ to sign Melky. I think you can get him for a decent price.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 06:12 AM)

Seven years is now quite far removed from 2008...it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a playoff veteran, but that helps when you have it on your resume. Other than Adam Eaton, there aren't many leaders on this team. With Konerko finally gone, hopefully Sale and Abreu will start to take on more of that responsibility.

The Royals didn't have hardly anyone with playoff experience either.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
The 2013 White Sox looked unmotivated. The 2014 White Sox looked perfectly motivated, but it simply wasn't a very good team.

I agree. I would like to add that in 14, the team had 2 very exciting

players who joined the team, Jose and Eaton. I think that feeling

of excitement carry over. they just couldn't make it last for any

extended period of time. so would a leader have helped > no.

smart additions and options is what this team needs.