Vanished from radar - the Erik Johnson enigma

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
Whomever breaks the bank for Shields is one, dumb GM. He's not dominant and he's getting old. Like I said before, Royals fans didn't even want him as No. 1 starter entering the playoffs. The fans at one point wanted Butler benched for good this season. They also wanted Hosmer sent to the minors. I am NOT kidding. Talk shows for a week were all about sending down Hosmer.

Sox need a righthanded version of Buehrle. Can they find one?

No such animal. There isn't a LH version of him either. His particular set of skills is truly unique, and likely not repeatable. Avert your gaze and try something realistic.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 18, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
I am going to use this thread of vanishing from the radar.

there are 2 that comes to mind. of course Erik Johnson but I would

like to add Matt Davidson. I would really like to see how they come

along in spring training.

At this point, I think Johnson and Davidson are different. There's no doubt Davidson was bad but he did show power, some ability to walk and has history of being a better hitter than what he showed in 2014. Could quite simply be a down year.

Johnson just flat out s*** the bed, crawled into it and died. The only bright spot to Johnson's season was that it came to an end,lol. Dude was just horrible all the way around.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 18, 2014 -> 10:47 PM)
At this point, I think Johnson and Davidson are different. There's no doubt Davidson was bad but he did show power, some ability to walk and has history of being a better hitter than what he showed in 2014. Could quite simply be a down year.

Johnson just flat out s*** the bed, crawled into it and died. The only bright spot to Johnson's season was that it came to an end,lol. Dude was just horrible all the way around.

I just don't believe that as an example. there has to be an explanation

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)

This. There HAS to be some explanation. Something going on in his life, injury, amnesia, sudden fear of cowhide, the Monstars stole his talent?? People don't just suddenly become less talented at something they've been very good at their entire lives at the age of 25. If it wasn't an injury then I can only hope he bounces back this spring from whatever happened.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
This. There HAS to be some explanation. Something going on in his life, injury, amnesia, sudden fear of cowhide, the Monstars stole his talent?? People don't just suddenly become less talented at something they've been very good at their entire lives at the age of 25. If it wasn't an injury then I can only hope he bounces back this spring from whatever happened.

I was really trying real hard not to respond but ....... oh well

what is your point that is different than mine?????

are you answering my post with the same statement ?????

trying at an attempt at humor?????? which failed if it was pssst (use different color font)

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 08:34 AM)
I was really trying real hard not to respond but ....... oh well

what is your point that is different than mine?????

are you answering my post with the same statement ?????

trying at an attempt at humor?????? which failed if it was pssst (use different color font)

He was agreeing with you...

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 07:41 AM)

That's the million dollar question. Johnson lost his control and velocity so couple that with a straight fastball and erratic breaking pitches to begin with and you have the recipe for disaster.

I don't have an explanation outside of what been proposed already. IMO, I would try him out in the pen for a bit in ST and see what happens. Maybe his arm just doesn't have the endurance necessary to be a starter.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 10:44 PM)
That's the million dollar question. Johnson lost his control and velocity so couple that with a straight fastball and erratic breaking pitches to begin with and you have the recipe for disaster.

I don't have an explanation outside of what been proposed already. IMO, I would try him out in the pen for a bit in ST and see what happens. Maybe his arm just doesn't have the endurance necessary to be a starter.

very good point.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 05:44 PM)

Given we are talking about one season, I really don't think you should move him to the pen just yet. Later maybe, but I'd have him do as much strength and conditioning work as possible this offseason, stay away from pitching, then come to camp in February on the starter plan. As 2015 goes on, if he's healthy but still can get it worked out, THEN you move him to the pen.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 07:58 AM)
Given we are talking about one season, I really don't think you should move him to the pen just yet. Later maybe, but I'd have him do as much strength and conditioning work as possible this offseason, stay away from pitching, then come to camp in February on the starter plan. As 2015 goes on, if he's healthy but still can get it worked out, THEN you move him to the pen.

Let's see if he regains his velocity, control and his confidence. If he does, then sure, return him to the Charlotte rotation but if not not then his best chances are in the pen. No matter what, he's going to have to put some kind of movement on that fastball because a straight low 90's fastball is not going to blow away too many hitters. Johnson has ALOT of work to do.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 12:59 AM)
Let's see if he regains his velocity, control and his confidence. If he does, then sure, return him to the Charlotte rotation but if not not then his best chances are in the pen. No matter what, he's going to have to put some kind of movement on that fastball because a straight low 90's fastball is not going to blow away too many hitters. Johnson has ALOT of work to do.

I totally agree come spring, there are some question that will be answered.

Johnson, Davidson, DV, additional pitching, fa's signing.

its going to be a great offseason.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 07:05 PM)
I totally agree come spring, there are some question that will be answered.

Johnson, Davidson, DV, additional pitching, fa's signing.

its going to be a great offseason.

Absolutely. I'm looking forward to it, if only we could get the WS over with...

For some reason I think Hahn will come up with a few surprises that nobody has thought of.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 01:11 AM)
Absolutely. I'm looking forward to it, if only we could get the WS over with...

For some reason I think Hahn will come up with a few surprises that nobody has thought of.

for sure on that.