Your 2015 Offseason Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 09:55 PM)
I like your point but I disagree with the analogy. The checkbook is the single most important thing to American business :)

would the "rtn in the investment" be the same as checkbook?

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 12:16 AM)
Tim Anderson? For a year of Jeff Samardzija?

I wouldn't be a fan of it, but considering they gave up a top 5 prospect to get him last year, it would make sense for them to try and replenish the SS depth in their system. If the Sox did a trade like this, I think they would extend Samardzija right away.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
For some reason, I keep thinking Samardzija might be their main target this offseason. I'm not a fan, but could a deal look like Anderson, Beck and Viciedo for him?

I'm a Samardzija fan, one because my cousin is best friends with him. But, I would not trade Anderson for Samardzija even if he did sign an extension.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
For some reason, I keep thinking Samardzija might be their main target this offseason. I'm not a fan, but could a deal look like Anderson, Beck and Viciedo for him?

Haha HAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
I'm a Samardzija fan, one because my cousin is best friends with him. But, I would not trade Anderson for Samardzija even if he did sign an extension.

Agreed. I like the idea of getting a guy like Jeff but at what cost? Surely Anderson and Montas would be the first names coming out of Beane's mouth. You gotta give to get but I don't think I'd be willing to give that much for Jeff, not that he isn't worth a packed centered around Anderson or Montas.

I think its more likely the Sox end up signing a guy like Hammel than trading for Samardzija. Beane will ask for the world and likely get it and the Sox system just isn't deep enough to justify a trade for Samardzija.

Unless they're going to fix all the other holes in the team, trading for a one-and-done pitcher's illogical.

Are they all of a sudden free spenders who can give Samardzija a similar contract to what James Shields is going to receive, or even higher?

I don't think so.

I also don't think signing pitchers in their 30's to long-term deals fits the new operating model for 75% of MLB teams.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 06:21 PM)
I wouldn't be a fan of it, but considering they gave up a top 5 prospect to get him last year, it would make sense for them to try and replenish the SS depth in their system. If the Sox did a trade like this, I think they would extend Samardzija right away.

Lord no.

What is with the love of top prospect for rents, extend them or not.

The As made a stupid trade for Shark.

Jackson, Vasquez, Peavy (best of the bunch, but a high opportunity cost), Ritchie - yikes.

Don't repeat those mistakes

Assuming Rodon makes it as a very good starter, the Sox will have 3 of them... that's sufficient, if they have 2 capable pitchers at 4 and 5. They need help in the OF, DH, and 3B and probably should chase 1 bullpen pitcher (although I hate doing that). Trade young talent for young talent, like the Sox did last year. No declining veterans.

Edited by GreenSox

My plan is getting this bullpen on the right track. I'd like to see us add a couple good pen arms, LF, and a 1B/DH type guy. Maybe even a starter too if possible wether signing or trade. I'm excited for the offseason.

Edited by Bigsoxhurt35

I honestly think that pitching is the final piece of the puzzle in today's run environment. High end guys are expensive and risky, so it is crucial to make sure you strike when the iron is hot to maximize the chance that you'll get what you paid for. In the mean-time, effective short-term stopgaps are more prevalent than ever.

We shouldn't be rushing out to buy and extend 30 year old starters now. That's nothing against Samardzija, it's just making sure we don't put the cart before the horse. We can spend some money and put together a quality pitching staff on relatively short notice, but developing the cost-controlled core of everyday position players is trickier.

Wait another year...or at least half-season.

Jordan Zimmermann, David Price, Mat Latos and Jeff Samardzija are all a lot more realistic (because of the "competitive window" realistically beginning in 2016) targets for the Sox than Lester, Scherzer and Shields.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 01:20 AM)
Wait another year...or at least half-season.

Jordan Zimmermann, David Price, Mat Latos and Jeff Samardzija are all a lot more realistic (because of the "competitive window" realistically beginning in 2016) targets for the Sox than Lester, Scherzer and Shields.

Hopefully by then, Montas and/or Danish will be ready and the Sox will be able to skip paying heavily for a starter.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
Hopefully by then, Montas and/or Danish will be ready and the Sox will be able to skip paying heavily for a starter.

Which is part of the reason you want to wait. I'm not opposed to spending on pitching, I just think it's the last thing you do.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
Which is part of the reason you want to wait. I'm not opposed to spending on pitching, I just think it's the last thing you do.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
Agreed. I have a starter on my wish list but it's about 4th. Behind pen arms, LF and 1B/DH

I'm with you both. I like the idea of upgrading Noesi/Danks but it would be the final move with what money was left over after taking care of LF, DH, the bullpen and/or possibly upgrading 3B.

Call me crazy but I like what I saw from Noesi last season and believe he and Danks both will improve so I'm not overly concerned too much about them. Much bigger holes to fill than the position of starting pitcher.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
I'm fine with Noesi as a 5. Rodon hasn't pitched a major league inning also. Hope he pans out as he should. That leaves us with Danks. We're stuck with him.

I would add one caveat. You really have to identify 6 starters. Many ML teams started this season with at least 1 starter out with an injury. In the White Sox case, I assume that #5 is Carrol until Rodon arrives. Everyone has Rodon arriving next year, including me, but if he doesn't you better have one solid option among Danks Noesi and Carrol.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
No surprise on Paulino. I'd take him back under a minor league contract on the off chance he might have something to offer as a reliever, should he be able to stay healthy.

Mmmm, no I don't think so.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
Was just nosing around mlbtr and noticed LaRoche's option was declined by Washington. Get on the horn Rick...

I wouldn't mind picking him up on a 1 or 2 year deal and then flipping him at the deadline. His thorns are that he is about to turn 35, and he's an awful baserunner and fielder. He'd have to be our DH. I don't know what you'd want to pay for him.

2 yrs/$22M?