Retired Numbers

DonkeyKongerko

Seeing Daubach wearing 23 reminds me of a question. There was a little blurb on SC a long time ago about teams and their retired numbers. Some teams retire alot and some, like the Cubs, have retired one or none. Now I know Ventura is not retired or anything but after ten years of service I would think a little more respect would be shown and the Sox would not give Daubach number 23.

Seeing Daubach wearing 23 reminds me of a question.  There was a little blurb on SC a long time ago about teams and their retired numbers.  Some teams retire alot and some, like the Cubs, have retired one or none.  Now I know Ventura is not retired or anything but after ten years of service I would think a little more respect would be shown and the Sox would not give Daubach number 23.

I really loved Robin and to me 23 is also Ventura - not some basketball plater of some scrubs player

but #23 is not retired nor should it be and the Sox have waited a while to assign it so I am cool with it, although it took me a while to get accustomed to it

I really loved Robin and to me 23 is also Ventura - not some basketball plater of some scrubs player

but #23 is not retired nor should it be and the Sox have waited a while to assign it so I am cool with it, although it took me a while to get accustomed to it

Don't expect anyone else to wear 35...

NEVER

35 will be retired, deservedly

only other number on this team that looks like it has a future of being retired is 30, possibly if, etc., and a real dark horse candidate for retirement depending on what the future holds is 56

but 35 will for sure be retired

Seeing Daubach wearing 23 reminds me of a question.  There was a little blurb on SC a long time ago about teams and their retired numbers.  Some teams retire alot and some, like the Cubs, have retired one or none.  Now I know Ventura is not retired or anything but after ten years of service I would think a little more respect would be shown and the Sox would not give Daubach number 23.

How long is long enough? The guy's gone. Should the Sox piss off a current player that wants a certain number out of respect for a former player that is still playing, but no longer for this team? That sounds like a good idea. I can see it now:

Player: "I want number 23"

JR: "We can't give you that number. That was Robin's number, and we love him."

Player: "But, he's gone, and the number's not retired."

Jr: "Yeah, but we still love him."

Player: "He's playing for another team."

JR: "Yeah, what a great guy he is. I love him."

Player: "Look, I hit 40 points lower when I don't wear number 23."

JR: "Yeah, I know, but we just can't do it out of respect for that guy that used to

wear number 23 that's no longer playing for us and could probably care less if

anyone on this team wears his old number. He's so great."

Player: "You are nuts!"

JR: "I want to have Robin's children. I love him."

How long is long enough? The guy's gone. Should the Sox piss off a current player that wants a certain number out of respect for a former player that is still playing, but no longer for this team? That sounds like a good idea. I can see it now:

JR: "Yeah, I know, but we just can't do it out of respect for that guy that used to

That type of scenario sounds more like the Cubs.

:)

Guest hotsoxchick1
There's always Koch.

lol he bought his number..........

QUOTE (mreye @ Sep 4 2003, 07:14 AM)

yas if you been round jr long enough.. that sounds exactly like something he would say.........lol.........