Joe Maddon to manage Cubs

cabiness42

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)
That's exactly what he came from in Tampa. He wasn't the lead dog there, he wasn't ordering all those shifts and what not on his own. Epstein is more probably more of a dictator than Freidman was, but it's not that different than in Tampa.

Yep, I know that. Friedman hired Maddon, though; don't think that didn't establish and affect their relationship. Now, though, Maddon's a star, a celebrity -- and it wasn't Theo Epstein who gave him his start. Very different dynamic.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
Maddon's great. But I have a few observations, and potential pitfalls, regarding his hiring:

(1) Two weeks ago, Renteria was swell because of the progress made by Castro and Rizzo. Why mess with that?

(2) If we've learned one thing from the dominance of sabermetrics, it's that the front office guys run things, all the way down to the field. (Ask Art Howe and even Terry Francona about that.) Maddon is a lot of things, but one thing he is not is a shrinking violet. I'll be curious to see how it works out with Epstein and Hoyer.

(3) There seems to be some groundswell that Joe's presence will lure free agents. But if the reason for Maddon's reputation was his ability to handle YOUNG players, how do we know he can actually handle a team with those veterans? In fact, the best Rays veterans were lost because of budget (Shields, Crawford).

What lures free agents is money. Joe's a nice guy but I didn't see any of the big names take a pay cut to play for him in Tampa.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)
What lures free agents is money. Joe's a nice guy but I didn't see any of the big names take a pay cut to play for him in Tampa.

This is absolutely true. Players play for money. That's the most overrated part of this whole thing. Free Agents will not come to the Cubs because Joe Maddon is there. It might be another reason to go, but the money will tell the story.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
David Schuster

1 min · Chicago, IL ·

Renteria is gone. Maddon announcement shortly

I like the quote that Theo used: "It came down to be loyal to Rick or be loyal to the organization". "The organization is more important that one single person". Exactly.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
I like the quote that Theo used: "It came down to be loyal to Rick or be loyal to the organization". "The organization is more important that one single person". Exactly.

I wonder why Theo didn't go after Andrew Freidman to be the GM and replace Hoyer. Freidman is a better GM.

I understand what they did, but it is a BS line. There have been plenty of opportunities to bring in better than what they have and they have passed.

“Today we made the difficult decision to replace Rick Renteria as manager of the Chicago Cubs.

Yeah Theo, you made that decision today. His first sentence is a lie.

Edited by Dick Allen

I understand that this is a good move for the Cubs. Their fans should be excited. However, the slurping from the media gets old. If the Sox were making this move, it wouldn't even register in local media. Espn 1000 would have Doug Padilla on and ask him a few questions and that would be it. No Plesac, Law, etc. that have or will be on because it's the Cubbies.

I'm past the point where I root against the Cubs. I am rooting against Theo & Crew. I want them to fail because of the media worship they get.

This would also seem to put even more pressure on Theo and Company to sign Shields and/or Lester.

They can't whiff on free agency this time around.

It's not quite an "all in" year because they have to wait on Bryant, but it's one year off for both the White Sox and the Cubs, in the sense both teams will be expected to compete for a playoff spot in 2016 barring major injuries to key players (Sale/Abreu).

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)

No offense, but this is what any employer would say when they let go of an employee. I'm not sure why you're so impressed by the quote.

At the end of the day, Theo did not give Renteria a fair shot at the job. Don't get me wrong, hiring Maddon likely helps the organization right now, but let's not applaud a man for a lack of loyalty to one of his own people.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)
This would also seem to put even more pressure on Theo and Company to sign Shields and/or Lester.

They can't whiff on free agency this time around.

It's not quite an "all in" year because they have to wait on Bryant, but it's one year off for both the White Sox and the Cubs, in the sense both teams will be expected to compete for a playoff spot in 2016 barring major injuries to key players (Sale/Abreu).

Ya make a good point here. Signing a 33 year old pitcher to a long term deal would be just like the cubs. I don't think the cubs could land Lester ( or Scherzer for that matter) but Shields would not surprise me one bit.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 06:31 PM)
Ya make a good point here. Signing a 33 year old pitcher to a long term deal would be just like the cubs. I don't think the cubs could land Lester ( or Scherzer for that matter) but Shields would not surprise me one bit.

Why can't the Cubs land Lester? IMO, they have to be considered one of the favorites.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 06:10 PM)
No offense, but this is what any employer would say when they let go of an employee. I'm not sure why you're so impressed by the quote.

At the end of the day, Theo did not give Renteria a fair shot at the job. Don't get me wrong, hiring Maddon likely helps the organization right now, but let's not applaud a man for a lack of loyalty to one of his own people.

He doesn't owe Renteria anything. His job is to get the Cubs closer to a World Series. If he feels like hiring Maddon does that, then it is the right move.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 05:27 PM)
I understand that this is a good move for the Cubs. Their fans should be excited. However, the slurping from the media gets old. If the Sox were making this move, it wouldn't even register in local media. Espn 1000 would have Doug Padilla on and ask him a few questions and that would be it. No Plesac, Law, etc. that have or will be on because it's the Cubbies.

I'm past the point where I root against the Cubs. I am rooting against Theo & Crew. I want them to fail because of the media worship they get.

It's obviously everywhere because it's the Cubs but it'd get a lot of play if the White Sox did it. For sure it would. Many shows in town on radio would cover it. Mully is a huge Sox fan. Bernstein is a Sox fan. Carmen DeFalco is a Sox fan. Laurence Holmes and Jonathan Hood at night on both stations are both Sox fans. Also, Plesac is a Cubs guy. Law has been a fan of what the Sox have done recently and even praised Hahn in a recent chat (I posted it in the Minor League Catch-All). So yes it's a big deal because it's the Cubs but hiring one of the best managers in baseball would have been a big story anywhere.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 06:43 PM)
He doesn't owe Renteria anything. His job is to get the Cubs closer to a World Series. If he feels like hiring Maddon does that, then it is the right move.

A CEO's job is to improve the company's bottom line, so I guess he shouldn't give a f*** about his employees' well-being if it results in more profit right?

May I ask what you do for a living? Would you be ok being let go from your job a year into it despite being a very solid performer?

I know I'd be enraged if I was Renteria and I'd feel the exact same way if I was another member of their organization. Loyalty and trust are key elements of sustainability for all organizations. So you can say Theo doesn't owe Renteria anything, but why should Theo's employees trust him if they can be so easily discarded if something better suddenly comes along. Don't get me wrong, the move will likely help the Cubs in the short-run, but that doesn't mean there won't be long-term consequences. You can't treat your employees like s*** and expect loyalty in return.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 07:53 PM)
A CEO's job is to improve the company's bottom line, so I guess he shouldn't give a f*** about his employees' well-being if it results in more profit right?

May I ask what you do for a living? Would you be ok being let go from your job a year into it despite being a very solid performer?

I know I'd be enraged if I was Renteria and I'd feel the exact same way if I was another member of their organization. Loyalty and trust are key elements of sustainability for all organizations. So you can say Theo doesn't owe Renteria anything, but why should Theo's employees trust him if they can be so easily discarded if something better suddenly comes along. Don't get me wrong, the move will likely help the Cubs in the short-run, but that doesn't mean there won't be long-term consequences. You can't treat your employees like s*** and expect loyalty in return.

Wrong. It's professional sports. You always have something until something better comes along. If Joe Maddon gives the Cubs the best chance to win now and into the future they shouldn't pass that up because Rick did a decent job last year. I am a teacher. Don't compare you or I to professional sports. It's not the same. Renteria is getting paid his entire salary still and will latch on somewhere else. Theo would have done a disservice to the organization to not explore getting Joe Maddon. I can't believe anyone is even arguing this fact.