Worst Managing of the Year

KipWellsFan

1)Absolutely every stat pointed towards bringing in Marte to face Ortiz in the 7th inning, but instead Manuel leaves the right hander Sullivan in the game. Hey Jerry, you can't manage on hunches and feelings. :huh:

2)Pinch running Aaron Rowand for Frank Thomas in the 9th. This resulted in Willie Harris or Armando Rios being forced to bat, and of course ended in Willie Harris going down fairly easily. It is quite obvious that we should have pinch run Miles or Rios in that situation to make sure we would have Rowand to bat in the centerfield spot. :huh:

3)Bruce Kimm waving Rowand. THis can be argued but nonetheless ended up being a brudal call.

I know I'm being negative about this but as a manager you cannot win and lose game but you can only give your team the best chance to win on any given night. Tonight they did not!

Kimm's call was Kimm

but wasn't JM out of the game for the rest of those things?  what inning was he tossed?  I do not remember so I may be wrong, if so, please correct

He was out of the game at the point of the pinch running call.

JM is making that call from the clubhouse. No manager gets ejected from a game and goes incommunicado.

1)Absolutely every stat pointed towards bringing in Marte to face Ortiz in the 7th inning, but instead Manuel leaves the right hander Sullivan in the game.  Hey Jerry, you can't manage on hunches and feelings. :huh:

2)Pinch running Aaron Rowand for Frank Thomas in the 9th.  This resulted in Willie Harris or Armando Rios being forced to bat, and of course ended in Willie Harris going down fairly easily.  It is quite obvious that we should have pinch run Miles or Rios in that situation to make sure we would have Rowand to bat in the centerfield spot. :huh:

3)Bruce Kimm waving Rowand.  THis can be argued but nonetheless ended up being a brudal call.

I know I'm being negative about this but as a manager you cannot win and lose game but you can only give your team the best chance to win on any given night.  Tonight they did not!

Sending Daubach was totally brutal. They hold him at 3rd then they have 2 RISP with 1 out. Fly ball, ground ball or base hit win the game. BUT NOOOOOO. They wave the runner, the play isin't even close & good ol willie cant ge the base knock.

A. What's with this organization's love affair with Willie Harris? Rowand should have gone in the game as a defensive replacement for Everett, considering the only person you were going to pinch hit for was the #9 hitter, and you had Daubach on the left and Graffinino from the right side.This would allowed Harris to pinch run for Thomas, the one thing he can do on a baseball field. He would have scored. I have no problem with Kimm tonight. Rowand is just as good defensively as Harris, and more dangerous with the bat in case, and of course it did , it came up again.

B. Why doesn't Marte face Ortiz in the 10th. You are going to go to him anyway, this guy has always killed the Sox, Marte was ready in the pen. Can someone tell me if Gordon got squeezed on that at bat, its hard to tell from the Club Level.

C. Why wasn't Harris pinch hit for in the 9th? Rowand could have played CF. You would have the pitcher in the lineup, but the Sox have extra bats on the bench, and by the time you got back to that spot you should have scored some runs.

D. The Sox had their chances once again, and blew them. Bases loaded DP, AGAIN. How many more times.

Marte couldn't have faced Ortiz in the 10th because he had already been in the game, but he damn well should have faced him in the 7th.

A. What's with this organization's love affair with Willie Harris? Rowand should have gone in the game as a defensive replacement for Everett, considering the only person you were going to pinch hit for was the #9 hitter, and you had Daubach on the left and Graffinino from the right side.This would allowed Harris to pinch run for Thomas, the one thing he can do on a baseball field. He would have scored. I have no problem with Kimm tonight. Rowand is just as good defensively as Harris, and more dangerous with the bat in case, and of course it did , it came up again.

B. Why doesn't Marte face Ortiz in the 10th. You are going to go to him anyway, this guy has always killed the Sox, Marte was ready in the pen. Can someone tell me if Gordon got squeezed on that at bat, its hard to tell from the Club Level.

C. Why wasn't Harris pinch hit for in the 9th? Rowand could have played CF. You would have the pitcher in the lineup, but the Sox have extra bats on the bench, and by the time you got back to that spot you should have scored some runs.

D. The Sox had their chances once again, and blew them. Bases loaded DP, AGAIN. How many more times.

Marte couldn't have faced Ortiz in the 10th because he had already been in the game, but he damn well should have faced him in the 7th.

And Wunsch should have been brought in to face him in the 10th. I can see getting burned by the guy once. I'll even buy Manuel's excuse that Sullivan has been getting out everybody lately, but after they were burned once, it was foolish to let it happen again.

Manuel was so bad last night. I think he has this misguided sense of loyalty to the guys who have been here most of the year - here it was Willie Harris - and he wants them to have the chance to win the game. Dumbs***, every game is vital, so start managing like that. No way Harris should have been allowed to hit. Rios was the way to go, but even Aaron Miles would have been a better choice than Harris.