White Sox claim Shuck, activate Nate Jones

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
Just noticed that catch he made it the outfield.. then looked like he kicked the dude on purpose coming back in the field. Looks like a douche, but who am I to judge..

Ever think of it this way:

He's in a game and makes a fantastic catch falling into the stands. His adrenaline pumping, the guy also knows there's a runner potentially out to dry or tagging up. He is 100% focused on getting up and putting the ball back into the infield. He accidentally pushes his feet off a fan in the process of getting caught up in a moment.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 10:00 PM)
Ever think of it this way:

He's in a game and makes a fantastic catch falling into the stands. His adrenaline pumping, the guy also knows there's a runner potentially out to dry or tagging up. He is 100% focused on getting up and putting the ball back into the infield. He accidentally pushes his feet off a fan in the process of getting caught up in a moment.

Yeah, I don't think he kicked that guy at all. He was squirming over the wall and his cleat caught the guy's shirt, you can see him even look back to find out what he caught his foot on, and the fan didn't get mad like he had just been yelled at or kicked on purpose. I don't think there was anything wrong with what happened there at all.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 09:22 PM)
IMO, that was not at all on purpose. Shuck was trying to hurry up and get back over the wall to get the ball back into the infield because there was a runner on 1st base. Heck of a catch.

I like his on base potential and seems to play a pretty good LF.

i finally looked at the video. here is my thoughts. as he was climbing

over the wall on his right side. his left foot appears to hit him. this was

not the case. from the angle it made it look as such. it was the right

foot, the trailing foot that got caught in the man shirt just above the

stomach. when he tried to pull that foot, the right foot over, it was

caught in the shirt. moving the shirt and making it appear as he kick

him with his left.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
i finally looked at the video. here is my thoughts. as he was climbing

over the wall on his right side. his left foot appears to hit him. this was

not the case. from the angle it made it look as such. it was the right

foot, the trailing foot that got caught in the man shirt just above the

stomach. when he tried to pull that foot, the right foot over, it was

caught in the shirt. moving the shirt and making it appear as he kick

him with his left.

Thus temporarily exposing the kind mans beer belly. Lol. The fan was certainly not bothered by it one bit.

This is a prime example of a "Coop will fix him" guy on the other side of the spectrum. Now supposedly ballplayers don't listen to hitting coaches much, but this is another "change of scenery" guy who might save his career or might not. He was a sixth rounder instead of a Beckham first rounder, but this is another guy Sox are taking a flier on. It's interesting he was a big league starter two years ago.

Like Beckham now, this is Shuck's last chance so maybe he'll work hard and excel. Sox appear to have their fourth outfielder. He'll make the team.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
If so no need to pursue Aoki.

Not sure how much I like it, but I'm beginning to think that they acquired Shuck to be the regular left fielder.

Maybe they intend to platoon him with Danks. Oddly enough, Shuck seems to hit lefties better, even though he's a left handed hitter

Danks has been pretty decent vs. RHP, and is still considered the best defensive outfielder in the organization.

If that's the plan, I wish they would move Avi to LF, when Danks starts, as he is unquestionably a better defender.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 05:35 PM)
Not sure how much I like it, but I'm beginning to think that they acquired Shuck to be the regular left fielder.

Maybe they intend to platoon him with Danks. Oddly enough, Shuck seems to hit lefties better, even though he's a left handed hitter

Danks has been pretty decent vs. RHP, and is still considered the best defensive outfielder in the organization.

If that's the plan, I wish they would move Avi to LF, when Danks starts, as he is unquestionably a better defender.

Pretty early in the offseason to make that assumption. They picked up a guy for free. I'd guess he competes for 4th or 5th outfielder. I'd put money on them signing someone better as a starter.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)

I would say that the odds of the front office thinking JB Shuck is their plan to be the every day left fielder for the Chicago White Sox in 2015 at this point in time are probably the same odds of them thinking that I'm their plan to be the opening day closer. It's a ridiculous notion.

Why do you think that? The off season literally just began a couple of days ago. We have a lot money to spend, and plenty of time to do it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
I would say that the odds of the front office thinking JB Shuck is their plan to be the every day left fielder for the Chicago White Sox in 2015 at this point in time are probably the same odds of them thinking that I'm their plan to be the opening day closer. It's a ridiculous notion.

99.9999%?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
I sure hope that you guys are right. I know it' early, and it's just a gut feeling.

As I posted a couple of days ago, Shuck doesn't look like a very good player.

The moment the Sox acquire someone better to play the outfield, I'll be relieved.

I honestly think it will be something the Sox do pretty early in the winter.

I know how much I'd like it - I'd hate it.

This is a scapheap pickup - try to find a 4th outfielder, without Sierra and given that Danks is terrible.

He may not even work out as a 4th.

But you can't take a scapheap claim and seriously suggest that he's the starter.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
I sure hope that you guys are right. I know it' early, and it's just a gut feeling.

As I posted a couple of days ago, Shuck doesn't look like a very good player.

The moment the Sox acquire someone better to play the outfield, I'll be relieved.

They don't have to acquire someone better than JB Shuck. They already have like 4 or 5 of them, including Dayan Viciedo. The reason they brought in Shuck is that he is perfectly capable of being a 5th outfielder - that is, he can play all 3 positions and he can play in AAA. He has decent contact skills, but if he's anything more than that, the Sox are in deep trouble.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
They don't have to acquire someone better than JB Shuck. They already have like 4 or 5 of them, including Dayan Viciedo. The reason they brought in Shuck is that he is perfectly capable of being a 5th outfielder - that is, he can play all 3 positions and he can play in AAA. He has decent contact skills, but if he's anything more than that, the Sox are in deep trouble.

He still has options? Even better.