Carl Crawford / Other Trade Possibilities

ChiSox59

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 03:41 PM)
The money back would be nice, but IMO Danks has a much better chance of becoming a productive major leaguer again than Hamilton does.

I don't agree. If Danks velocity hasn't come back, it isn't coming back, and that caps his performance level.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
That is absolutely Ethier. Crawford would probably be able to fetch a bit of young talent on the trade market with the Dodgers eating some of his salary, but Ethier probably fetches nothing.

I wouldn't have a problem with Ethier but his lack of power is what gets me. For some reason I thought he had a little more than what he really does. Maybe I was thinking he would have a bit more hitting at the Cell.

That said, Alexei Ramirez/ John Danks for Andre Ethier/ Corey Seager it is. :)

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 10:49 PM)
I almost forgot...

f*** Josh Hamilton! I would rather beg Dunn to come out of retirement. Better yet, I would MUCH rather trade for CarGo.

I saw something like this yesterday, I am with you.

:drink

Danks for Ether almost makes too much sense. I wouldn't mind if they targeted to fill LF and DH, 2 of

Ethier

Crawford

Travis Snider

Andrew Lambo

Michael Saunders

I feel we could get these guys with expendable guys like Danks and Viciedo as the centerpiece. Pirates look so starved for starting pitching, overloaded in the OF, and unable to spend, I bet we could get Snider just sending Danks and eating salary.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
The Angels signed owe Hamilton 89 mill/3 years. They'd have to take back at least 60 of that. They'd be better off keeping him and hope for a rebound.

He always looked like a lazy ballplayer to me, even when he was good.

If the took back Danks and ate all that money, which has been proposed, they save nothing. It doesn't make any sense from any side.

OK, here's a crazy idea. Prince Fielder. He has 6yrs/$144M left on his contract, $30M of which is already covered by the Tigers in the Kinsler trade, so 6yrs/$114M. Texas still needs to send money back, obviously, but sending another $24M makes him a $15M/year player. Or you can send Danks back their way to unload his contract. Send his brother, too. Hell, send Viciedo, too. Texas seems to be in the market for an OF anyway.

The risk is obviously that Fielder had fusion surgery to repair a herniated disk in his neck last year, but had no injury concerns prior to that, and in fact played 162 games the three previous years. He is on the wrong side of 30 (31 next year) and has always had the weight issue, so who knows how he'll bounce back from the surgery. But that is why I think there might be a chance Texas considers trading him. They were atrocious last year, and getting Prince Fielder back is not going to fix their problems. Getting him off the books allows them to find other solutions.

And if Fielder returns to even close to what he was, that's a big LH DH/1B to insert in the lineup behind Jose. I worry about the tail end of that contract, but if it means the Sox are in serious contention 2015-2017, I think it's worth it.

Just spitballing.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
OK, here's a crazy idea. Prince Fielder. He has 6yrs/$144M left on his contract, $30M of which is already covered by the Tigers in the Kinsler trade, so 6yrs/$114M. Texas still needs to send money back, obviously, but sending another $24M makes him a $15M/year player. Or you can send Danks back their way to unload his contract. Send his brother, too. Hell, send Viciedo, too. Texas seems to be in the market for an OF anyway.

The risk is obviously that Fielder had fusion surgery to repair a herniated disk in his neck last year, but had no injury concerns prior to that, and in fact played 162 games the three previous years. He is on the wrong side of 30 (31 next year) and has always had the weight issue, so who knows how he'll bounce back from the surgery. But that is why I think there might be a chance Texas considers trading him. They were atrocious last year, and getting Prince Fielder back is not going to fix their problems. Getting him off the books allows them to find other solutions.

And if Fielder returns to even close to what he was, that's a big LH DH/1B to insert in the lineup behind Jose. I worry about the tail end of that contract, but if it means the Sox are in serious contention 2015-2017, I think it's worth it.

Just spitballing.

We don't want that contract. It was a time bomb the minute it was signed, and it has already started to explode. I continue to get angry every time I think about how Texas let Detroit off the hook with it.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
We don't want that contract. It was a time bomb the minute it was signed, and it has already started to explode. I continue to get angry every time I think about how Texas let Detroit off the hook with it.

I agree with you esp about letting Det off the hook.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
I'd rather just sign Sandoval at his astronomical asking price than taking Fielder.

what amazes me is that nothing as been mention of him as a clubhouse

problem ...... maybe he was a good guy last yr. maybe I am wrong. maybe

he wouldn't mind have a diet clause submitted in his contract.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
Any other realistic or off-the-wall ideas as we all patiently wait for the first real SOX domino to fall?

Thought of starting a new thread but decided I'd try this specualation here.

With the price of Cubans becoming prohibitive maybe Hahn has an under the radar International free agent signing up his sleeve such as Jeong-ho Kang .

He is a RH 27 year old Korea SS who had a 1.189 OPS in the KBO. He can also play 3rd and OF and is supposed to be posted soon. Doubtful the posting fee will be $20M but you never know. The Korean Jeague is not even the equal of the Japanese league so speculation is rampant with how his numbers would translate.

The best article I could find is this. http://beisbols.org/2014/09/08/biggest-x-factor-free-agency/

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 06:32 AM)
I think his Korean team will get the 20 million fee. It's kind of an unprecedented move but I am sure the Sox have seen him play. A power hitting, switch-hitter could definitely fit somewhere on the roster if the scouts like him more than his market.

He's RH not a switch hitter. http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...id=kang--000jeo

Peter Gammons also mentioned him but the baseball ref. and the numbers Gammons used for 2014 are slightly different.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)
Thought of starting a new thread but decided I'd try this specualation here.

With the price of Cubans becoming prohibitive maybe Hahn has an under the radar International free agent signing up his sleeve such as Jeong-ho Kang .

He is a RH 27 year old Korea SS who had a 1.189 OPS in the KBO. He can also play 3rd and OF and is supposed to be posted soon. Doubtful the posting fee will be $20M but you never know. The Korean Jeague is not even the equal of the Japanese league so speculation is rampant with how his numbers would translate.

The best article I could find is this. http://beisbols.org/2014/09/08/biggest-x-factor-free-agency/

FWIW, I read last week that the $20 million fee only applies to Japan. There are still no caps out of Korea.