Mets/LAD/NYy interested in Alexei, according to Levine

southsider2k5

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)
Why would a rebuilding team like the Mets trade for a 33 year old SS when they have a young budding 23 year old already there in Wilmer Flores? Murphy is at second so where does Flores fit in? Alexei makes zero sense for the Mets and just another reason why Levine is a complete and utter moron.

Mets are a close to competing. They only need a SS, and LFer they have a rotation and bullpen. If they think they can compete I could see it. Their payroll is low too.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 06:02 PM)
Why would a rebuilding team like the Mets trade for a 33 year old SS when they have a young budding 23 year old already there in Wilmer Flores? Murphy is at second so where does Flores fit in? Alexei makes zero sense for the Mets and just another reason why Levine is a complete and utter moron.

Isnt bruce levine a cubs guy reporter?

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 06:06 PM)
Mets are a close to competing. They only need a SS, and LFer they have a rotation and bullpen. If they think they can compete I could see it. Their payroll is low too.

Alexei and Viciedo for some of their young pitching depth.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 06:06 PM)

According to stuff I've read, they aren't expected to contend in 2015 but that is subjective.

In all honesty, after looking at Flores numbers for the half season he played in Alexei is not THAT big of an upgrade. Flores put up nice numbers for a 23 year and I see no reason why he won't improve. Again, Alexei to the Mets makes zero sense. Contender or not, I would not replace Flores with Alexei.

Let's say that Brucey boy is right, I would tell the Mets I want Flores in return as part of the deal. Then use one or two of Sanchez, Semien, Johnson as trade bait in another deal with another team.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 06:08 PM)
Isnt bruce levine a cubs guy reporter?

I think he reports for both, or should I say he creates gossip for both.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 06:24 PM)
According to stuff I've read, they aren't expected to contend in 2015 but that is subjective.

In all honesty, after looking at Flores numbers for the half season he played in Alexei is not THAT big of an upgrade. Flores put up nice numbers for a 23 year and I see no reason why he won't improve. Again, Alexei to the Mets makes zero sense. Contender or not, I would not replace Flores with Alexei.

Let's say that Brucey boy is right, I would tell the Mets I want Flores in return as part of the deal. Then use one or two of Sanchez, Semien, Johnson as trade bait in another deal with another team.

I think he reports for both, or should I say he creates gossip for both.

Ya this story seems like its coming from his butt

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 06:26 PM)
Ya this story seems like its coming from his butt

Agreed, sounds like he was desperate for something to write about. The Yanks and Dodgers is easy to see and I'm sure we all knew those two would be in the market for short stops so that's just easy pickings for Levine and his following. The Mets speculation is what gets me.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 06:39 PM)
Agreed, sounds like he was desperate for something to write about. The Yanks and Dodgers is easy to see and I'm sure we all knew those two would be in the market for short stops so that's just easy pickings for Levine and his following. The Mets speculation is what gets me.

I dont see buster olney reporting this or any mlb reporters its bs u ask me

I'll take a Levine story with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't mind if they traded Alexei. It's better to trade a guy a year too early than a year too late. They don't have to move him now, but they shouldn't be afraid to do it if the value coming back is worth it. The Yankees seem to be an obvious team that should be all over it, but what do they have that the Sox would want to be worth it?

It's funny because last July a few of us were hoping for an Alexei for Piscotty swap. Now I think most would consider that an bad return (although I still love Piscotty, I'd hope for more than just him).

So I'll play along and do a little kid-in-the-candy-shop routine here with NYM/LAD/NYY.....

Mets:

C Kevin Plawecki and OF Brandon Nimmo

Yankees:

OF Aaron Judge and RHP Luis Severino

Dodgers:

OF Scott Schebler, RHP Zach Lee, LHP Chris Reed

I would throw in a prospect on our side to make any of these work too. I especially like the Mets package, but I'm also a big fan of Schebler and Severino.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 12:19 AM)
It's funny because last July a few of us were hoping for an Alexei for Piscotty swap. Now I think most would consider that an bad return (although I still love Piscotty, I'd hope for more than just him).

So I'll play along and do a little kid-in-the-candy-shop routine here with NYM/LAD/NYY.....

Mets:

Yankees:

Dodgers:

I would throw in a prospect on our side to make any of these work too. I especially like the Mets package, but I'm also a big fan of Schebler and Severino.

I want gary sanchez from the yankees

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 12:17 AM)
Our defense is already bad enough. It would have to be a pretty big haul before I'd trade him.

This is what I was thinking. If Sox trade him, they are in major rebuilding mode no matter what they are telling us fans.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 01:09 AM)
This is what I was thinking. If Sox trade him, they are in major rebuilding mode no matter what they are telling us fans.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. The Sox could trade Alexei and couple prospects for a major league ready outfielder like Joc Pederson and then use the money saved from Alexei's deal and sign a middle infielder like Jed Lowrie.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 12:09 AM)

You sure have turned into a debbie downer. And no trading Alexei would not mean that . He's a 33 year old SS and our best trade asset being the oldest member of the core and quite desirable. Depending on Hahn's success level this offseason the rebuild is nearly finished since some of us expect contention as early as 2015 and others 2016. But I will admit that Alexei would be very hard to replace and a stopgap SS for a year isn't very desirable.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 06:19 AM)

Mets:

Yankees:

Dodgers:

I haven't even bother to look into the realm of what will be justified for a rtn

to make this trade.

with out any other info coming in at this and only from Levine. I will say some of our

poster who post here can create a better article of interest.

tradable assets, that is 1 word with many different meaning. the sox have many

players that are tradable assets. but the question, will the rtn be good enuf to entice

the teams to make that trade.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 01:51 AM)
From the Mets I would prefer Rafael Montero + Kevin Plawecki.

This is about the only thing I'd trade alexei for and be happy with, rather keep Ramirez but getting a building block C in Plawecki and a very talented RHS is crucial, Anderson, Semien, Sanchez, Johnson all in our Farm

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
Refresh my memory on Semiens D at SS...passable?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
Wasn't pretty at 3B.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
He made some wild throws due to poor footwork. His hands and range looked good, if not really good.

He'd be an acceptable SS, but I don't think you want him there. He's not Michael Young, but I doubt he'd be anything more than average.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
Passable, probably. But it seems like we'd rather use Sanchez there and leave Semien at second.

QUOTE (beautox @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 06:46 PM)
I agree, Semien could be average at SS. I think to get the most value out of both Sanchez at SS and Semien at 2B would be ideal. That and bringing a rh bat that can platoon with Conor. Ideally Saladino comes back healthy because he should've gotten a look last year and fits the needs of this team. Solid defensively, right handed, crushes left handers and serviceable across multiple spots on the diamond.

I think it said a lot that when Semien was sent down to AAA, they almost never used him at SS until after Saladino got hurt.

I do not want the Sox to trade Alexei. He is the perfect player to anchor our young infield, until his successor can take over. That may be Anderson, or it might be Rondon. However, neither of them are ready. There are no other guys in the organization who are ready to provide the kind of defense that Ramirez does. All of our other infielders are better suited at 2ND. He also is a solid bat, with a little pop, and a pretty run producer. It makes no sense to trade him, if the Sox are really going to try to contend this season.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
I do not want the Sox to trade Alexei. He is the perfect player to anchor our young infield, until his successor can take over. That may be Anderson, or it might be Rondon. However, neither of them are ready. There are no other guys in the organization who are ready to provide the kind of defense that Ramirez does. All of our other infielders are better suited at 2ND. He also is a solid bat, with a little pop, and a pretty run producer. It makes no sense to trade him, if the Sox are really going to try to contend this season.

I agree with you 100%. Alexei's contract lines up well with the state of the organization and there is no urgent need to trade him, so unless Hahn is blown away by the return, you hang onto him.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 07:02 PM)

Have you seen Wilmer Flores play SS? It's actually kind of sad. He looks kind of like Hunter Pence, like he's out of some early N64 baseball game with blocky, polygon graphics. The mildest way to put it is probably that he makes routine plays look very difficult, and difficult plays look like miracles.

He came up this year for a bit and surprisingly kind of held his own. And everyone was impressed, but in the way you're impressed with something that you assumed was total garbage when it turns out to be anything more than that. I think most of Mets fans, at least, are kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop on his SS defense. Like, it's cool that he's been able to defy the odds, but you can't expect to keep making these plays when your feet and arms move the way his feet and arms do.

EDIT: Here's a PERFECT example: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/wilmer-flor...-shortstop-yet/

Notice his footwork in the third GIF down. I dare you to watch that and not laugh.

Edited by Eminor3rd