Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

I wouldn't make any assumptions about Beane's asking price(s) for his players.

On November 12, 2008, the Rockies traded Holliday to the Oakland Athletics for pitchers Huston Street and Greg Smith, and outfielder Carlos González.

On July 24, 2009, the A's traded Holliday to the St. Louis Cardinals for prospects Brett Wallace, Clayton Mortensen, and Shane Peterson. The A's also included $1.5 million.

He traded the half of the A's top prospects for Holliday - then less than a year later, traded him away for nothing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
And a lot of minor league SS wind up at different positions as they advance.

A prospect guy put it at 3% that Barreto sticks at SS. Thinks he is going to be 2B. Some would probably say the same for Anderson, but I think he's got a better shot.

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
Speaking of Gavin Floyd, this whole rumor factory around this samardjiza deal stinks of the Gavin Floyd to Toronto bs from a couple years back. Everyone has sources and is throwing all kinda of ish against the wall at this point to see what sticks.

Still haven't heard a peep from any notable baseball writer/reporter on the sox being involved. This is all spinning of Susan sussler's singular mention. Think everyone needs to temper their excitement.

This thread started over 3 weeks ago when Rosenthal mentioned the Sox and Samardijia.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
I'm beginning to think Shark was the person Hahn was referring to about trying to get at the deadline. I know I mentioned it towards end of last season, but Hawk sure made a lot of references to Shark being on the Sox in the future.

Grew up a Sox fan, I hated him on the Cubs, but I think this guy is a legit third starter.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
Just this last year, or in his career as a starter?

In his career as a starter(3 seasons),his first two seasons he faded, last season not so much.

Hard to tell here because of his career path, it is very unconventional considering his age

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)
I'm beginning to think Shark was the person Hahn was referring to about trying to get at the deadline. I know I mentioned it towards end of last season, but Hawk sure made a lot of references to Shark being on the Sox in the future.

Again, this makes no sense at all. Why would Oakland move Shark at the deadline after shipping off Russell a month earlier, and still being in the playoff race?

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
Grew up a Sox fan, I hated him on the Cubs, but I think this guy is a legit third starter.

he is.

For one whole year. Maybe that he was a Sox fan has given them some fools notion that he'll sign long-term.

Beane misjudged the market and overpaid for him by a lot.

But what the heck, load up the wagon for the Shark.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
he is.

For one whole year. Maybe that he was a Sox fan has given them some fools notion that he'll sign long-term.

Beane misjudged the market and overpaid for him by a lot.

But what the heck, load up the wagon for the Shark.

Considering the years of control with Abreu, Sale, Q, Eaton, Rodon, etc etc, I wouldn't be surprised if the holdup here is the Sox working out the framework of a contract extension and the players are already in place.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
That's true at any age. It's the nature of overhead athletes.

I agree. They talk about his background. He doesn't have the "miles" on him most do at his age, but there are guys who are younger with a lot less "miles" than he has currently that are done or in the process of being done. It can go at anytime, although with some of these guys, you have to like their chances of staying fairly healthy. Maybe he is one of them.

I do remember Alex Fernandez. He is one guy the White Sox were willing to go really long term on back in the days they were going 3 years max and they mentioned his mechanics. I think his agent was Boras, so it didn't work out. He blew out in Miami pretty quickly.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 01:03 PM)
Considering the years of control with Abreu, Sale, Q, Eaton, Rodon, etc etc, I wouldn't be surprised if the holdup here is the Sox working out the framework of a contract extension and the players are already in place.

I been thinkin the same thing..gettin antsy though