Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

Love this deal. Also being able to get a draft pick if we don't sign Shark is icing on the cake. Robertson will bite us in the ass. Might be good for 2 years, but that 3rd/4th year will be ugly. Long term deals for relievers just don't work. At the same time understand Hahn's logic. We have the money, huge hole now filled, and the Central division is there for the taking. Should be a fun year and it's only Day 2 of the Winter meetings. I know Hahn has some more up his sleeves.

I went to bed last night when this deal was "on the verge" with the Sox giving up Semien and Danish+. I like this deal better, provided the third player isn't Danish or Thompson. Now hearing that Shark could extend is even better.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 06:13 AM)
I went to bed last night when this deal was "on the verge" with the Sox giving up Semien and Danish+. I like this deal better, provided the third player isn't Danish or Thompson. Now hearing that Shark could extend is even better.

Thompson is a bust. Don't know why people would care if he got dealt.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
I was wondering the same thing. How is this deal worth it just for one year for us? Doesn't seem inline with our long term strategy, or company line anyways.

it can be, if you look at the big picture. sure everyone would love for JS to sign, but if he

doesn't, the sox give him a QO, that draft pick associated will be huge.

best case a 1 rounder, at worst a comp pick. this draft, while not deep, has a great

makeup on HS'ers with lots of talent. add another piece to the farm system.

but i think he will resign, a win win situation for both JS and the sox.

i like the deal. That said semien is an underrated piece around here and nationally. Guy had .420 obp in AA 2 years ago and a .380 obp with 15 HR in just 80 AAA games last year and just now turned 24.

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)
i like the deal. That said semien is an underrated piece around here and nationally. Guy had .420 obp in AA 2 years ago and a .380 obp with 15 HR in just 80 AAA games last year and just now turned 24.

Semien is still young and he does have power. he may never be an elite player, but

i think he will develop into a very good stable player.

Not a bad price, much better if he extends before free agency next year. I would've preferred to give them both Johnson and Sanchez to giving them Semien, but I'm guessing that's why they wanted Semien. Definitely an upgrade to the rotation and now the Sox have a rotation I could see as being competitive.

Sale

Quintana

Samardzija

Noesi

Danks (to be Rodon by midseason)

That could be one hell of a rotation. I would say one more bat is needed at this point to make everything come together.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
Love this deal. Also being able to get a draft pick if we don't sign Shark is icing on the cake. Robertson will bite us in the ass. Might be good for 2 years, but that 3rd/4th year will be ugly. Long term deals for relievers just don't work. At the same time understand Hahn's logic. We have the money, huge hole now filled, and the Central division is there for the taking. Should be a fun year and it's only Day 2 of the Winter meetings. I know Hahn has some more up his sleeves.

It's very possible that this will be true, but Robertson's not exactly old. He doesn't turn 30 until after opening day 2015. He's been consistently good since he reached the Majors in 2008. The velocity is still good and he actually threw harder this year vs. 2012/2013. He just posted the 2nd highest K/9, and best xFIP and SIERA of his career. Clearly he hasn't started his decline phase just yet. That will probably start to come at some point over the next four years, but as far as I can see there are no obvious red flags or reasons to expect his production fall off a cliff in two years.

All that said I still don't like the idea of throwing big $'s at a free agent closer, but I think Robertson at least has a reasonable possibility of living up to the deal.

Just want to point out that even if the White Sox dont get Samardzija extended and this ends up being a one year deal, the comp pick will be a higher pick than any of the players traded to the A's. Pretty huge coup. Regardless, hope they get something worked out so this rotation can be in place over the next 5 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 07:37 AM)
Eh, still don't like it and fully expect the team to disappoint, but I'm a lot less annoyed with actually trying to win than throwing in the towel like we did last offseason.

That post is so full of fail