Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

I have a feeling this is going to be a three team deal with the braves. Sox end up with Upton, Oakland ends up with Gattis, Braves end up with Samardzija. Not sure what the pieces going from the Sox would be but this is the only way it makes sense to me. I just dont see the Sox giving up much for one year of Samardzija unless they could extend him but I think if they're going to spend big time bucks on a starter it isn't going to be Samardzija.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 01:53 AM)
Would like to see Hahn make a deal for Jesse Chavez. Gillaspie and Micah Johnson for him?

You are aware that Chavez is 31 already?

I don't think I want Smardjza,

1. I can't even spell his name without looking it up

2 He will likely cost to much in prospects

3. He'd cost to much to keep

I like the player don't get me wrong, but not the price it will cost.

QUOTE (daggins @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 07:39 AM)
I want Samardjiza extended so the Sox can exploit a new market inefficiency - guys with unpronounceable last names.

Samardjiza, Michelczewski... who's next?

They made a pass at Saltalamacchia last year, too bad

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 07:23 AM)
If it happens, hoping for 3 way deal, otherwise we'd probably have to give up Micah Or Anderson, right?

I doubt Hahn would trade Anderson. Micah, maybe, but I think Semien is probably trade bait. They seem to prefer Micah over him. I just don't know what else they would have to give up. I would imagine if it is significant, they, like when they traded for Freddy, would be very confident in an extension.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 07:36 AM)
You are aware that Chavez is 31 already?

I don't think I want Smardjza,

1. I can't even spell his name without looking it up

2 He will likely cost to much in prospects

3. He'd cost to much to keep

I like the player don't get me wrong, but not the price it will cost.

This is how I feel too, but it really depends on the price and what a possible extension looks like. I'm 100% going the rental route unless it's for spare parts like Sanchez & Beck, which is not going to happen. Compensation picks are nice to have, but are multiple years away from being useful assets.

And even if he's willing to agree to an extension, it's got to be something that makes sense for us. I'm talking something like 5/$80M, which I don't seem him accepting. Going above that in terms of years or AAV doesn't make a lot of sense for us. At that point, we might as well go after starters in free agency, because we're starting to approach their price range and they wouldn't cost the talent Shark will to acquire.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 12:35 AM)
Keep an eye on this. Tried, but I can't confirm it.

Lots of moving parts with OAK, including Samardjiza contract, Reddick, relievers...etc. Could be impact deal.

I could definitely see a deal with Samardzija/Reddick for prospects or Samardzija/Cook for prospects heading to the Sox. I think that would make the most sense.

I think Noesi is locked in to the back of the rotation. He made his starts, and he has room to improve. Getting a full spring training with Cooper should be a good thing.

Sale, Samardzija, Quintana, Noesi, Bassitt would be fine if they're able to move Danks and improve the pen.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)
I could definitely see a deal with Samardzija/Reddick for prospects or Samardzija/Cook for prospects heading to the Sox. I think that would make the most sense.

Samardzija/Reddick for Viciedo/Semien/?/?...?

Reddick hasn't been able to hit lefties at all or the last 2 years. Sox have 2 situational lefty hitters already penciled in as starters.

Sox need Youth

No rents (unless it's for complete spare parts).

Shark is someone who might be a nice signing after next season. I wonder what he really turned down from the Cubs? He's not getting near Lester/Scherzer money, but he'll want (and get) 5 years. 5/90 - something like that?

Pointless to trade scarce prospects for him this year for the purpose of winning 84 games.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
How not?

I think he's probably right on that...guys who don't break in immediately and tear up the league tend to see their trade value decrease somewhat. Now he's got to prove he can do it in the big leagues, until then he's a guy you'd look at as a "buy low" candidate.

What is wrong with Alexei for Smardjiza, straight up? The Sox save money this year. They don't have to make a risky long term commitment,

on a pitcher. Next year, they may not need "Shark," and if they are still short a starter, perhaps there will be another pitcher available, who is

similarly in his final contract year.

A #2 or #3 starter, is arguably more valuable than an aging SS, even if he's a good one. Notice, I said good, not great. Just how good Alexei is, seems

to be very debatable. Frankly, I thought that he was better than many on this board assert, but the larger point is that a starting pitcher,

with Smardjiza's performance capabilities, is worth what Alexei normally produces.

The big question is 2016. The Sox would then have neither Smardjiza, nor Alexei, when they could have had their $10 Million, 34 year old SS.

(Actually, he will be turning 35 in September of 2016.

Is that necessarily bad? Would they really want that much money tied up in an aging SS? If he were a DH, first baseman, or even a corner

outfielder, pushing 35 might not be too old. However, at SS his range is likely not going to be more than average, at best. And, remember

that while he is a good hitter, he is nothing special for $10 million. If he were not providing considerably better than average defense, at that point,

there would probably be better options available, especially for the money. Between all of the options available within the organization, and players who might

be available then, I'd take my chances on finding a replacement for Alexei. Anderson will likely be ready by 2016, unless his defense is still rough.

In the meantime, we can all argue about who the SS would be this season. Providing they land another solid bat, to fill the other outfield hole, I'd personally

prefer the best fielding SS available, and not worry much about his offense. However, having that solid RH starter represents the answer to one of this team's

most glaring needs. He and Quintana could very well perform about the same, and provide two #2's, to round out our top 3 starters. Then, when Rodon

arrives, you could have a staff that makes the Sox a serious contender.

The money available after removing Alexei's $10 million, minus whatever "Shark" gets in arbitration, should be sufficient to land a solid hitting outfielder, with

adequate defense, and even leave a little "change" left over, for another bullpen arm.

Therefore, such a scenario just might be the way that the Sox put together a competitive team for this season, without having to go over their budget, and

without giving up any of their young core, going forward.

Edited by Lillian

Yes, I absolutely have zero problem having 2/$20 tied up in a contract for a "aging" shortstop who is going into his age 33-34 seasons and has constantly outproduced his contract during every year of the deal.

"We could all debate who would be the SS this season" - think about how silly that is. You open up a hole you have no one to fill by trading for a RHP who fills a need this season but who is then either gone as a FA or commanding a 9 figure contract the White Sox are very unlikely to give out. That is exactly backwards.

Samardzija earned $5.3 million last year in his 2nd arb year. He vastly outperformed that deal and will probably command $8-$10 million in arbitration this year. You say that the difference between Samardzija's money and Alexei's would be enough to land a solid hitting OF, what solid hitting OF would be available for $1-$2 million at most? This tells me you didn't really look at the numbers either.

None of that works or makes sense. It barely saves the Sox money, it opens up a gaping hole at the most important defensive position on the diamond, and it costs us a year of control for a guy.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
What is wrong with Alexei for Smardjiza, straight up? The Sox save money this year. They don't have to make a risky long term commitment,

on a pitcher. Next year, they may not need "Shark," and if they are still short a starter, perhaps there will be another pitcher available, who is

similarly in his final contract year.

A #2 or #3 starter, is arguably more valuable than an aging SS, even if he's a good one. Notice, I said good, not great. Just how good Alexei is, seems

to be very debatable. Frankly, I thought that he was better than many on this board assert, but the larger point is that a starting pitcher,

with Smardjiza's performance capabilities, is worth what Alexei normally produces.

The big question is 2016. The Sox would then have neither Smardjiza, nor Alexei, when they could have had their $10 Million, 34 year old SS.

(Actually, he will be turning 35 in September of 2016.

Is that necessarily bad? Would they really want that much money tied up in an aging SS? If he were a DH, first baseman, or even a corner

outfielder, pushing 35 might not be too old. However, at SS his range is likely not going to be more than average, at best. And, remember

that while he is a good hitter, he is nothing special for $10 million. If he were not providing considerably better than average defense, at that point,

there would probably be better options available, especially for the money. Between all of the options available within the organization, and players who might

be available then, I'd take my chances on finding a replacement for Alexei. Anderson will likely be ready by 2016, unless his defense is still rough.

In the meantime, we can all argue about who the SS would be this season. Providing they land another solid bat, to fill the other outfield hole, I'd personally

prefer the best fielding SS available, and not worry much about his offense. However, having that solid RH starter represents the answer to one of this team's

most glaring needs. He and Quintana could very well perform about the same, and provide two #2's, to round out our top 3 starters. Then, when Rodon

arrives, you could have a staff that makes the Sox a serious contender.

The money available after removing Alexei's $10 million, minus whatever "Shark" gets in arbitration, should be sufficient to land a solid hitting outfielder, with

adequate defense, and even leave a little "change" left over, for another bullpen arm.

Therefore, such a scenario just might be the way that the Sox put together a competitive team for this season, without having to go over their budget, and

without giving up any of their young core, going forward.

Amen, sister.

I want Samardjiza extended so the Sox can exploit a new market inefficiency - guys with unpronounceable last names.

Samardjiza, Michelczewski... who's next?

Royals once acquired Grudzielanek and Minentkiewicz within a day or so of each other. I hear the clubhouse uniform guy quit the next day.

Yes, I absolutely have zero problem having 2/$20 tied up in a contract for a "aging" shortstop who is going into his age 33-34 seasons and has constantly outproduced his contract during every year of the deal.

"We could all debate who would be the SS this season" - think about how silly that is. You open up a hole you have no one to fill by trading for a RHP who fills a need this season but who is then either gone as a FA or commanding a 9 figure contract the White Sox are very unlikely to give out. That is exactly backwards.

Samardzija earned $5.3 million last year in his 2nd arb year. He vastly outperformed that deal and will probably command $8-$10 million in arbitration this year. You say that the difference between Samardzija's money and Alexei's would be enough to land a solid hitting OF, what solid hitting OF would be available for $1-$2 million at most? This tells me you didn't really look at the numbers either.

None of that works or makes sense. It barely saves the Sox money, it opens up a gaping hole at the most important defensive position on the diamond, and it costs us a year of control for a guy.

The only way the Sox even think about giving up Alexei for Jeff is if there is a negotiated extension for Jeff, and even then they may not do it.

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant to say that the money saved on Alexei's salary, minus Samardjiza's arbitration salary, plus what they have already

earmarked as available. I must admit that I did not, however, expect Samardjiza to get $8 to $10 Million in arbitration. Is that a realistic number?

Nevertheless, I'd still consider that trade, primarily because I put a big premium on quality pitching at a reasonable salary, without a risky, long term obligation.

The Sox have several middle infielders who appear ready for a shot at the Majors. I would think that one of them would be able to at least fill the SS void.

He wouldn't have to be one of the best players on the team, but rather someone who could play solid defense, and bat at the bottom of the order.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
How not?

What Semien has going for him is some BABIP-fueled minor league stats. First full MLB year was a failure. Beane will not pay us for 2014 Clutch Moments. Semien did walk in the minors, but not here. He's 24, the farm thing is done. The defense is considered limited besides his speed.

Because of the minor league stats i'd see you getting a decent cost controlled reliever-type basically at this point at the absolute most. Semien is not a prospect.