Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
I think Anderson has more value than that. Especially since Samardjia isn't even signed past 2015. It worked out trading highly thought of prospects for Freddy Garcia. Even though 2 of 3 were busts, it didn't work out trading for Nick Swisher.

The way pitching is really starting to dominate, I think the Sox are better off keeping Anderson, signing a back end guy, and if they still want Samardjia, sign him next winter.

I agree, if there is no contract extension however if the sox get an extension, proven top end starters are more valuable.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
I think you far over valuing Anderson. I'm not saying he can't be a star but he is a years from even being brought to chicago.

You don't trade a consensus top 100 prospect for a one year rental starting pitcher unless he signs an extension. Even with that, I would be pissed I think.

Give me Samardzija and Upton, different story. Gotta give to get.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
Just noticed the A's top prospect is a AA SS. Kinda odd they'd be looking at adding another, esp. after adding Barreto.

Maybe Barreto would be part of the trade, if this is even something. Or maybe even Lawrie. Lawrie seems like the type of player the White Sox would have been coveting.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
You don't trade a consensus top 100 prospect for a one year rental starting pitcher unless he signs an extension. Even with that, I would be pissed I think.

Give me Samardzija and Upton, different story. Gotta give to get.

No I don't. But I admit I'm not as high on prospects as many others are as I think they bust as much has they become stars. Again this is only if the sox get an extension. I would not do it for the rental.

Sale, Q, JS. Is a top of the line rotation

Edit:wow that was bad typing from my tablet as I am at my daughter's dance e classes.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
Maybe Barreto would be part of the trade, if this is even something. Or maybe even Lawrie. Lawrie seems like the type of player the White Sox would have been coveting.

This sounds familiar.

If we're getting Shark & Upton, then we're giving up a f***ton more than just Anderson. And why would we empty half of our system to acquire two rentals?

At least Shark is from the Chicagoland area and grew up a Sox fan. There's some chance he'd agree to extension here, the same can't be said for Upton.

For better or worse, I think this Shark deal is really happening. But if more pieces are included it will be a guy like Reddick, not Upton.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
Just noticed the A's top prospect is a AA SS. Kinda odd they'd be looking at adding another, esp. after adding Barreto.

Stocking your minors with quality SS prospects is like burying gold for later

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
Samardzija WAR by year:

This would be like trading for Gavin Floyd in 2010/11, except Floyd was better

Those first 4 seasons is when he was a reliever. Last 3 when a starter full time.

You are way off here.

Edited by SoxPride18

I wonder if KW's remarks are foreshadowing the Sox making some major moves, some of which might irk the fans similar to the Carlos Lee trade.

“I don’t want to hear any more talk about rebuilding and certainly don’t want to take it on the chin any longer,” Williams said. “We’ve got to start making progress with more wins, and we’re going to have to do what we’ve got to do to get there.”

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
Samardzija WAR by year:

This would be like trading for Gavin Floyd in 2010/11, except Floyd was better

I know you love WAR, but start valuing 33 starts and 215 innings too. It helps the bullpen, and you know, the team.