Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
@scottmerkin·1 min1 minute ago

Could end up being a one year acquisition. Could end up influencing the return. Could not happen all together. Situation is fluid

The sky could fall...I could be turned into a newt and get better...I hate tweets like that

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
Anderson and Rodon better be far away from this package.

Agreed on Rodon but the thing is.....regarding Anderson..........if not him, I dont really know what else we can put together that's of value. In JS, this is still a really good starting pitcher we're talking about here. 1.5 years of this guy cost Addison Russell and that is MLB.com's #5 on the planet spect.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
Anderson and Rodon better be far away from this package.

Rodon isn't going anywhere but if the Sox are able to get an extension done with Shark(which I highly doubt would happen) then I absolutely think Anderson would be on the table.

Edited by Rowand44

With reports coming about Atlanta supposedly not being in a rush to trade Upton (although it could be a ploy by Atlanta to extract last-minute value from him), I'm becoming more skeptical that this is a 3 team deal. It's still a distinct possibility, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were involved at the end. But it sure seems like this is going to be strictly a White Sox- A's trade, with more value coming from the Sox to the A's if Shark were to agree to an extension prior to the trade. I don't know how that would work out, but interesting stuff nonetheless.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
But if Samardzija is willing to sign an extension with the Sox does that entitle the A's to a better return? They own one year of Samradzija's rights so that is what we would be trading for. I am inquiring, but I really don't think that's something that would allow for a larger/more talented package going to Oakland.

It would be nice... if only Samardzija was willing to strong arm his boss for the Sox best interest.

If they allow you a window pre-trade to discuss an extension then I think so. If you get it done, Anderson is the centerpiece, if not then you're looking at a different package of players. Obviously I have no idea but just throwing s*** out there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
No reason the two teams couldn't agree on a PTBNL based on an extention or not.

Is that even allowed? I've literally never heard of a team being able to do that. I can see why the union wouldn't like that - they wouldn't want a players salary offer to be affected by what a team would get as a PTBNL in the trade.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
But if Samardzija is willing to sign an extension with the Sox does that entitle the A's to a better return? They own one year of Samradzija's rights so that is what we would be trading for. I am inquiring, but I really don't think that's something that would allow for a larger/more talented package going to Oakland.

It would be nice...if only Samardzija was willing to strong arm his boss for the Sox's best interest.

Well, if it were me, I'd say this gives you the right to negotiate solely with Shark...you won't get this opportunity in free agency. The A's don't have rights for more than one year but because of the trade situation the White Sox benefit. It provides exclusive rights as well as obscures his true market value. It's a "but for" scenario.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)

It would be nice...if only Samardzija was willing to strong arm his boss for the Sox's best interest.

It does because I don't think oakland has to allow the sox to negotiate with him.

I'm not saying I'd do this but another thing I'll throw out there is if Oakland picks up Shark's 10 or so million this season that we might throw in some higher level guys. That would basically have the Sox putting together an elite level rotation while still having at least 20 mill to spend. Like I said, just throwing that out there.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
Can someone get me up to speed on where the Upton rumors are coming from?

I don't think anyone's said that it was a 3 way deal but reports are that both the Sox and braves are discussing deals for Samardzija with Upton and or Gattis involved from the Braves end. People are just putting two and two together.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
Can someone get me up to speed on where the Upton rumors are coming from?

There's not nearly as much smoke to the Upton rumors as there are to the Shark rumors. There was a tweet (of course) that the A's were in talks with Atlanta about Upton and Gattis. Speculation from here (myself included) started that maybe this would be a 3 team deal, with many salivating at the thought of Upton and Shark in a Sox uniform.

It could be a completely separate deal for Oakland altogether though. But you never know. ;)

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
Yeah, we're on the same page here with the problem being there really is no precedent. I can't really think of any windows to sign in a trade from recent history. Considering how the Sox operate it is much more of a possibility than with other teams.

This has happened before. I remember the window being 72 hours. This team has 72 hours to reach an extension withthe player before the trade is approved. I can't remember the players but I remember the scenarios discussed in the media.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
Yeah, we're on the same page here with the problem being there really is no precedent. I can't really think of any windows to sign in a trade from recent history. Considering how the Sox operate it is much more of a possibility than with other teams.

I think teams have gotten windows to negotiate extensions with players, but I can't remember a case where the players going back have depended on the completion of an extension. If they can't get the extension done the trade doesn't happen.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
This has happened before. I remember the window being 72 hours. This team has 72 hours to reach an extension withthe player before the trade is approved. I can't remember the players but I remember the scenarios discussed in the media.

Johan Santana's Mets trade was a similar 72-hour negotiation window before the trade was final.