Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
Just submitting for general consideration: After seeing the return the A's got for 2 years of Moss, if I think "Hey, I'll miss that guy" for more than five seconds about whoever we give up for Samardzija, I'm gonna be pissed.

proven starting pitching with his amount of career pitches is a TOTALLY different ballgame.

If we do trade Anderson, we better get more than just Samardzija back. I'd love to have Josh Reddick in RF as opposed to Garcia next year. Plus he's a left handed bat you can stick near the bottom of the order to space out our right handed hitters down there. He's also got good pop. He can probably hit 20+ homers with ease at the Cell. Oakland is terrible for hitters.

1. Eaton CF (L)

2. Ramirez SS

3. LaRoche DH (L)

4. Abreu 1B

5. Reddick RF (L)

6. Garcia LF

7. Gillaspie 3B (L)

8. Semien 2B

9. Flowers C

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
proven starting pitching with his amount of career pitches is a TOTALLY different ballgame.

No question he's a better player than Moss but it seems Oakland is just giving their guys away like Oprah. In light of that, if it seems like we've overpaid for Samardzija it will just be upsetting, that's all.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
No question he's a better player than Moss but it seems Oakland is just giving their guys away like Oprah. In light of that, if it seems like we've overpaid for Samardzija it will just be upsetting, that's all.

I am okay with giving up Anderson "IF" his is the only major piece we are giving up (lesser prospects included) AND we are getting back Reddick and one of the A's bullpen arms

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
Do we have any reason to suspect that Anderson knows the details of the potential trade? It always seems to me that players are caught off guard when they are traded.

Could it be that he is just getting himself all worked up because he keeps seeing his name mentioned?

Probably the latter. But I have a crazy conspiracy theory that even though Beane keeps publicly denying it he would grant a window for an extension, the players in the deal are agreed upon and the Sox have been off the record negotiating with Shark. Which would explain the smoke, the hold up, and the cryptic tweets.

If 1.5 years of Shark cost Addison Russell, it makes sense that one year (plus the advantage of being Shark's hometown team) ... would equal Tim Anderson.

This is not from an i-like-the-Sox perspective but from the perspective that you need to believe there are multiple Shark offers out there. We have to beat other offers, and you dont beat them with Marcus Semien+Ravelo or whatever. You need to offer something of worth.

From the A's perspective, which again you have to consider-- Tim Anderson helps Oakland save some face for losing Addison Russell.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

Has there be any discussion that we may not actually be the "leader" in all of this, but may actually be behind Boston, who is waiting on a Lester decision? They probably have more tradeable pieces to throw at Beane than we do. I only mention that because it would seem that, if not Boston, what is Beane waiting for??

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
If 1.5 years of Shark cost Addison Russell, it makes sense that one year (plus the advantage of being Shark's hometown team) ... would equal Tim Anderson.

This is not from an i-like-the-Sox perspective but from the perspective that you need to believe there are multiple Shark offers out there. We have to beat other offers, and you dont beat them with Marcus Semien+Ravelo or whatever. You need to offer something of worth.

From the A's perspective, which again you have to consider-- Tim Anderson helps Oakland save some face for losing Addison Russell.

Russell+ got them 1.5 years of Samardzija AND a rental of Hammel (who was having one hell of a year at that point).

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)

This is well-reasoned but I don't think it placates me. Just because the A's overpaid for him in the first place doesn't mean the Sox need to get involved in a rebound overpayment.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
Has there be any discussion that we may not actually be the "leader" in all of this, but may actually be behind Boston, who is waiting on a Lester decision? They probably have more tradeable pieces to throw at Beane than we do. I only mention that because it would seem that, if not Boston, what is Beane waiting for??

There is no leader IMO in a trade until the trade happens. Anyone can slide in at the last minute.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
This is well-reasoned but I don't think it placates me. Just because the A's overpaid for him in the first place doesn't mean the Sox need to get involved in a rebound overpayment.

I said this earlier today and stand by it.

If the White Sox were an 87 win team last year, Tim Anderson for Jeff Samardzija would make perfect sense. Prospect with talent who is raw, ~top 50 in the big leagues, 2-ish years away from being a big league rookie and 3 years away from probably making a difference, decent bust potential, in exchange for pitcher who outperformed contract last year, no injury history, could easily push team to 90 wins and into the playoffs, fits in the rotation, and could be offered a QO/return of a draft pick at the end of the year if he's unable to be resigned.

That's a perfect deal for a team right on the cusp of winning a division/right on the cusp of competing to make. Even an 85 win team last year, that's perfectly sensible for the White Sox and fair value for the As.

The problem continues to be we're closer to a 75 win team than an 87 win team. For that reason in my eyes there continues to be literally no version of this that makes sense to me.