Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 08:48 PM)
I just get the feeling Semien is going to make us regret trading him.

Nah. He could be a decent player, but the Sox are much more counting on Tim Anderson in the long run. Plus they have the 8th pick in the draft next year. I know the Beckham jokes are coming, but Semien is the guy to trade now for one year of Samardzija. And then you hope he likes it here, and they can lock him up for 5-6 years.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 08:48 PM)
I just get the feeling Semien is going to make us regret trading him.

I do think Semien is the better of the MI glut we have between him, Micah and Sanchez. But, by building that depth and players performing we can do that trade and try to compete again.

As far as an extension goes with Samardzija, I know for a fact he loves Chicago and would love to continue playing here in this city.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 06:51 PM)
Yes.

That's comforting I guess.

I dunno, I'm usually all for moving prospects for proven commodities but something about Semien, despite his struggles, is appealing.

Probably because he's a good ball player and not just "toolsy."

This is going to sound cocky and it's really not meant to be, but honestly since Magglio, or to a degree Crede, who is the last White Sox position player to come up through the White Sox farm system and contribute in a meaningful way for multiple seasons?

I know someone has to do it eventually, but until proven otherwise, I have a hard time getting too attached to White Sox position prospects. I'm fine dealing Anderson as well, I just think he has more value than Samardzija right now.

The Sox were not drafting well until pretty recently. Saying the Sox never have any position players come up doesn't fly with me.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 06:53 PM)
This is going to sound cocky and it's really not meant to be, but honestly since Magglio, or to a degree Crede, who is the last White Sox position player to come up through the White Sox farm system and contribute in a meaningful way for multiple seasons?

I know someone has to do it eventually, but until proven otherwise, I have a hard time getting too attached to White Sox position prospects. I'm fine dealing Anderson as well, I just think he has more value than Samardzija right now.

Yeah, I hear you, but we can't allow logic to be tainted by recent history.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)

Big Frank is the last that I can remember

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)

Rowand, Mike Morse. The Sox were consistently drafting pitchers in the first round which must affect that as well. Before Beckham, 8 of the prior 10 1st rounders were pitchers. Since then, Beckham's a below average starter, Mitchell's leg injury may have helped make him a bust, Phegley still might be able to hit enough for a catcher and the other guys are still too young.

Semien's been the most impressive Sox minor leaguer in years to me for his ability to control the strike zone- something our prospects seemingly never are adept at. I'd personally rather trade Avisail than Semien. I could be wrong. We'll see.