Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

You all know I love Semien, so I'm frustrated. Shark is a fine pitcher, but I'm frustrated that we gave up the one guy in our system with superlative pitch recognition skills. I understand why we did it, but consider this:

We now have holes at:

-2B (I don't believe in Sanchez...sorry)

-3B

-LF

-Bullpen

That's a lot of holes to fill for a team that is going all in. It doesn't seem like we're good enough to be trading a potentially good starting 2B for a one year rental.

At least I'll get to see Beane use Semien at SS everyday like I was advocating we do...

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:09 PM)
You all know I love Semien, so I'm frustrated. Shark is a fine pitcher, but I'm frustrated that we gave up the one guy in our system with superlative pitch recognition skills. I understand why we did it, but consider this:

We now have holes at:

-3B

-LF

-Bullpen

That's a lot of holes to fill for a team that is going all in. It doesn't seem like we're good enough to be trading a potentially good starting 2B for a one year rental.

At least I'll get to see Beane use Semien at SS everyday like I was advocating we do...

As an FYI, I think the org thinks that Micah Johnson is the 2B of the future and had him penciled in as our starting 2nd basemen. I think Semien fit more in a utility role where he would get some AB's at 2nd and also at 3B.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)

We now have holes at:

-3B

-LF

-Bullpen

Don't forget about Micah at 2nd.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:06 PM)
Dempster was talking about how the Sox could be a Robertson type signing away from competing and the host basically said, "If that happened, what about the Yankees?"

I was watching too, but although he did shift gears from the Sox to the Yankees abruptly, he was said pretty close to what I described in my post, because I was about to post the same thing.

There's no good reason to think Micah Johnson is ready for MLB. He played at a pretty "meh" level in AAA last year. It also remains unclear whether he's an acceptable defender. All indications are that he needs more time.

REally hope this does not happen.

With so few good prospects in this organization (and yes it's improved) I just don't see using them for 1 year of Shark. I know it won't be Anderson nor Montas, but it will be 2/3 of our 2nd tier prospects and we're light on those.

Maybe Beane will give him to us like he gave the Indians Moss.

This will be a good test of the Whitesox brass negotiating ability.

Trade Alexei.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)

We now have holes at:

-3B

-LF

-Bullpen

When I saw you posted, I expected your comment to say "Shark is a f***tard, s***bag bum." Actual analysis was a nice surprise.

Edited by Chilihead90

As an FYI, I think the org thinks that Micah Johnson is the 2B of the future and had him penciled in as our starting 2nd basemen. I think Semien fit more in a utility role where he would get some AB's at 2nd and also at 3B.

I hope Johnson is that good. Sanchez as an everyday player would kill our offense.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:15 PM)
There's no good reason to think Micah Johnson is ready for MLB. He played at a pretty "meh" level in AAA last year. It also remains unclear whether he's an acceptable defender. All indications are that he needs more time.

I agree he needs more time, but he played pretty "meh" because he was pretty much playing injured most of it. I've seen him make some highlight reel plays on duck snorts cause of his speed but I've also seen him make some wtf plays on routine grounders. I trust the sox brass on their assessment on him. His speed is game changing for sure.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:26 PM)
I can't believe they can sleep with this stuff half done.

I agree. I would think Hahn would want to get this done ASAP, so he could work on the next deal fresh tomorrow morning, and not think about it all night and then wake up tomorrow to "Well, Cherington sent me a text last night offering Jackie Bradley Jr. and Raunado, so I've got to go with his offer" or some s***. I mean, it's not even 10 pm there yet.