Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:22 PM)
Shark is a 1 year rental, right?

IF we don't sign him, yes. Word on the street when Cubs moved Shark was that it would take a deal similar to the 6yr 105M deal Homer Bailey signed a year ago. I presume his cost has increased a bit since then, but if he was willing to take some form of a hometown / favorite team discount and still take a deal similar to the above, YAHTZEE!!!

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:21 AM)
I mean, we have to be close to being done right? What do we have left in terms of spending money?

Rick is not going to make all the moves he has and than leave the last couple of holes unfilled. I still see another reliever being signed and a new left fielder. Make those moves and I think we can live with Flowers and Gillispie. Gotta start making plans to attend spring training tomorrow. I'm soooooooo excited!

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:22 AM)
I really don't like giving up the presumptive MLB starting 2B for the next X years for one year of Samardzija. It's well-known, I suppose, that I just don't think Samardzija is that great. I hope the Sox see something in him that hasn't really been there in his past production, which wouldn't merit this kind of return for a one-year rental

I agree, but the sox know more about Semien than we do. I love him as a hitter though. I would never make that trade.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:21 PM)
This has been an awesome day for the baseball fan in me.

It started out with me and Ken Griffey Jr (my favorite player, other than Frank Thomas, as a kid) having a short conversation on an airplane this morning.

And ends with the Sox picking up major needs in Robertson and (likely) Samardzija.

Awesome.

Holy awesome, batman!

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:21 AM)
This has been an awesome day for the baseball fan in me.

It started out with me and Ken Griffey Jr (my favorite player, other than Frank Thomas, as a kid) having a short conversation on an airplane this morning.

And ends with the Sox picking up major needs in Robertson and (likely) Samardzija.

Awesome.

I've said it many times here. Frank was the reason I became a sox fan. Griffey Jr. was the reason I played baseball (CF, left handed, etc.) I'm super jealous of you right now.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:22 AM)
I really don't like giving up the presumptive MLB starting 2B for the next X years for one year of Samardzija. It's well-known, I suppose, that I just don't think Samardzija is that great. I hope the Sox see something in him that hasn't really been there in his past production, which wouldn't merit this kind of return for a one-year rental

It's one year of Shark plus a comp pick or mutliple years of Shark if he agrees to an extension.

If he's a 4 WAR pitcher going forward, this deal is a steal and I absolutely love Semien.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:24 AM)
IF we don't sign him, yes. Word on the street when Cubs moved Shark was that it would take a deal similar to the 6yr 105M deal Homer Bailey signed a year ago. I presume his cost has increased a bit since then, but if he was willing to take some form of a hometown / favorite team discount and still take a deal similar to the above, YAHTZEE!!!

Interesting. Personally, I wouldn't be in favor of that deal. I like Shark, but not for that money. He's nice to split up Sale and Q though.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:28 AM)
Just to put it into text...

1.) Sale

2.) Samardzija

3.) Quintana

4.) Danks

5.) Noesi

CL - Robertson

SU - Duke

SU - Petricka

MR - Putnam

MR- Webb

MR - Snodgress

MR - Guerra

Surkamp over Snodgress. And I would bet we sign another reliever by the end of the winter meetings.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 01:28 AM)
Just to put it into text...

1.) Sale

2.) Samardzija

3.) Quintana

4.) Danks

5.) Noesi

CL - Robertson

SU - Duke

SU - Petricka

MR - Putnam

MR- Webb

MR - Snodgress

MR - Guerra

If we're going all in, gotta believe they won't dick around with the clock on Rodon and let him start in the rotation if he has a good spring.