Dave Cameron Predicts the Free Agents

shysocks

He has the Sox going big on quantity and small on dollars, scooping up outfielders Rasmus (3/$36), Bonifacio (2/$12), and Chris Young (1/$5) while signing Kendrys Morales (1/$9). I have no violently negative reactions to any of those names at those prices, including Rasmus. No arms, but he limited his guesses to 55 top guys and a lot of the available relief pitchers weren't on that list.

Bonifacio is a name that I haven't seen brought up around here much. Not sure how much of a fit he is. He's a good utility guy to have around as he can pretty much play every position and he would be especially useful as Eaton injury insurance, but a two-year deal seems unlikely to come from the Sox. I also can't see both Bonifacio and Young; I feel like the Sox would rely on someone internally rather than bringing in a second guy who doesn't move the needle much.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2015-free-agent-predictions/

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
He has the Sox going big on quantity and small on dollars, scooping up outfielders Rasmus (3/$36), Bonifacio (2/$12), and Chris Young (1/$5) while signing Kendrys Morales (1/$9). I have no violently negative reactions to any of those names at those prices, including Rasmus. No arms, but he limited his guesses to 55 top guys and a lot of the available relief pitchers weren't on that list.

Bonifacio is a name that I haven't seen brought up around here much. Not sure how much of a fit he is. He's a good utility guy to have around as he can pretty much play every position and he would be especially useful as Eaton injury insurance, but a two-year deal seems unlikely to come from the Sox. I also can't see both Bonifacio and Young; I feel like the Sox would rely on someone internally rather than bringing in a second guy who doesn't move the needle much.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2015-free-agent-predictions/

I don't like Rasmus, but if Martinez is unattainable, Morales makes sense to me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
LaRussa hated Rasmus. The Sox could have had Rasmus when they trade EJax but didn't want him when he was cheaper and more highly thought of as a prospect. I have a hard time believing JR signs off on Rasmus, especially for 3 years. This guy has a lot of issues.

I think these are the telling signs. I'd personally have no problem gambling on Rasmus' talent on a one year deal, but there's no way I'd go 3 years and I doubt the Sox are even going to show interest.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
I can see the Sox going after Rasmus, Morales as a fall back option if they cannot find something somewhere else but Young and Bonafacio I just don't see.

Young is a guy the White Sox have pursued at least a little bit I think last year. I think that plays into the prediction. But it really doesn't make much sense unless there are some trades.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
Chris YOung is a fly ball pitcher. Not happening.

Not Chris Young the pitcher, Chris Young the outfielder.

There's a lot to dislike about Rasmus, but there's also a lot that's tantalizing. Can't make up my mind on him. If he ended up with the Sox I think I'd just trust that we did our homework.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
Not Chris Young the pitcher, Chris Young the outfielder.

There's a lot to dislike about Rasmus, but there's also a lot that's tantalizing. Can't make up my mind on him. If he ended up with the Sox I think I'd just trust that we did our homework.

You know RAsmus is a headcase. I just wonder if he keeps it to himself or if he can infect the clubhouse.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
LaRussa hated Rasmus. The Sox could have had Rasmus when they trade EJax but didn't want him when he was cheaper and more highly thought of as a prospect. I have a hard time believing JR signs off on Rasmus, especially for 3 years. This guy has a lot of issues.

I agree with this. We could have had him when he was more promising, and instead we decided we'd rather just be free of Mark Teahen. The ship has sailed there, methinks.

I won't print their stats, but all four of those guys mentioned stunk last year. I know baseball is full of bad players, but the Sox probably should keep their own if it means picking up any one of those four guys.

Rasmus and Kendrys Morales simply aren't the answer; they aren't even full time players. Young has never done it and don't we have enough Bonifacio types on our team already?

~1. Bonifacio - have no opinion on him. I never factored him

for the sox to get him.

~2. Chris Young - same as above.

~3. Kendrys Morales (1/$9) - a 1 yr deal. let him rebuild his value. a win / win

deal.

~4. Rasmus the sox had a chance to get him before. but his baggage that

comes with him deter that. I just don't know. what does anyone think of a

1 yr deal with a clause of the baggage coming into play?

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
~1. Bonifacio - have no opinion on him. I never factored him

for the sox to get him.

~2. Chris Young - same as above.

~3. Kendrys Morales (1/$9) - a 1 yr deal. let him rebuild his value. a win / win

deal.

~4. Rasmus the sox had a chance to get him before. but his baggage that

comes with him deter that. I just don't know. what does anyone think of a

1 yr deal with a clause of the baggage coming into play?

A couple of those interviews with Rasmus near the end of the season would give one the impression he doesn't exactly like playing baseball.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 09:31 PM)
A couple of those interviews with Rasmus near the end of the season would give one the impression he doesn't exactly like playing baseball.

it is simple .... just quit.

interesting thought, if that is his attitude, is the role of his father is to continue

to berate him into playing????

then if by any remote answer is maybe yes, then it is a maturity issue or something

deeper.

kind of remind me a wimpy story.

I like Chris Young only if we get Andre Ethier or someone else in need of a platoon partner.

Rasmus, no thanks, when there are so many options out there via trade.

I think Morales is a smart buy-low option if we still have room for a DH.

I wouldn't want to spend money on a utility guy like Bonafacio until the team is actually competing. Semien can do that (unless he's starting at 2nd).

12/36 for Rasmus? I just can't fathom that for that player.

Bonifacio has had 1 good offensive season in his career. Signing him is like betting to show.

Hard to believe that Chris Young hasn't had a single season with an OPS over .800, but he hasn't. He's been falling apart the last few years. Dpn't see the point.

K Morales has had some good years, but only 1 when he was anything special and that was 2009. I can see him for stop gap I guess.

All the more reason why you need a vibrant farm system.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
This isn't one of Cameron's better efforts, IMO.

Agreed. Volquez back to San Diego was especially laughable. He was absolutely brutal there and they released him because he was so bad. It's rare you see someone get RELEASED by an organization and then signed to a contract by the same team within a year and a half after, let alone a lucrative, multi-year deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
Agreed. Volquez back to San Diego was especially laughable. He was absolutely brutal there and they released him because he was so bad. It's rare you see someone get RELEASED by an organization and then signed to a contract by the same team within a year and a half after, let alone a lucrative, multi-year deal.

Also, he put Josh Johnson to SDP one a 1yr/$3m deal. Didn't they JUST decline his option at 1yr/$4m?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
Also, he put Josh Johnson to SDP one a 1yr/$3m deal. Didn't they JUST decline his option at 1yr/$4m?

Yes. I know both sides were interested in a reunion next season to try and get him healthy and pitching, but why decline it if you're only saving $1 mill?

Seems like it was a piece he put together when he was hungover and just said "f*** it, here it is" and put it out.