Jason Heyward

GGajewski18

The more I think about it, the more I want this kid on the Sox. He fills the lefty bat void that would fit nicely behind or in front of Abreu. Plus, he brings tremendous defense in right field.

That mean's 2/3s of the OF would be solidified by a gold glover and a gold glove nominee.

I then would sign him to a 6 year 90 million dollar contract.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 06:43 PM)
It would be easier to answer who doesn't want Heyward, and having him on a cheap long term deal.

A much more realistic question is whether you'd be willing to trade some combination of "Basically everything in the system other than Rodon" for him and whether you'd be willing to sign him for something closer to a $150 million total deal.

I would jizz my jeans getting Heyward but the reality is that if Atlanta put Heyward on the market, there would surely be other teams with more to offer come into play. The Sox farm just is not strong enough yet. Took me some time to realize that after Balta and I talked about Heyward three or four weeks ago.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 05:35 PM)
The more I think about it, the more I want this kid on the Sox. He fills the lefty bat void that would fit nicely behind or in front of Abreu. Plus, he brings tremendous defense in right field.

That mean's 2/3s of the OF would be solidified by a gold glover and a gold glove nominee.

Thoughts?

He will be available next year. You are a year early

73 win teams don't trade for rents

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 05:35 PM)

Thoughts?

6/$90M won't be nearly enough, probably more like 7/$140M or 8/$160. And honestly, I don't see why he'd sign an extension one year from free agency.

As much as I'd love to have Heyward, he's going to cost too much in terms of prospects and money (if we can extend him), at least right now.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 06:35 PM)

Thoughts?

I would love to see the Sox get this guy more than anyone thats been brought up. He's everything we're looking for.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 11:19 PM)
I disagree. Rodon (yes, as a PTNL), Anderson, Montas, Johnson and Danish are all prospects the Braves would be very interested in for Heyward. Hell, they might even do it straight up for Rodon or two of the latter. The problem is Heyward is a FA after the year and the Sox won't be willing to pay the price for him and rightfully so.

They probably have enough to trade for a MLB star, but a significant trade probably sets back their farm system back down the ranks again.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 11:19 PM)
I disagree. Rodon (yes, as a PTNL), Anderson, Montas, Johnson and Danish are all prospects the Braves would be very interested in for Heyward. Hell, they might even do it straight up for Rodon or two of the latter. The problem is Heyward is a FA after the year and the Sox won't be willing to pay the price for him and rightfully so.

Guess I should clarify. The Sox farm is not strong enough to take a hit like that, IMO. I'm not going to get into what a potential cost for Heyward would be because none of us really know so there's no point seeing as how Heyward is not on the market anyway, as far as we know.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
While renting Heyward would be a pure clown move, the Sox wouldn't have to give up Rodon, Anderson or Montas to do so.

Please identify the top prospect Tampa received for David Price, a player with another year on his deal, in the extreme July sellers market.

Smyly alone put up better numbers in the big leagues than price gave the Tigers.

It would be like if the white sox traded Quintana and prospects for price. A lot of people would be saying the Rays got ripped off just based on reputation of the players involved. Maybe not the most knowledgeable ones but certainly the average fan.

Edited by caulfield12

Money talks, and if the Sox trade for Heyward, and he's their main addition money wise, then the Sox should have a ton of money to throw at him to get him to extend.

Yes, I get the whole giving up prospects and having to pay for him, but the way I look at is what if he was already being paid? Would you not trade for him?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
Smyly alone put up better numbers in the big leagues than price gave the Tigers.

It would be like if the white sox traded Quintana and prospects for price. A lot of people would be saying the Rays got ripped off just based on reputation of the players involved. Maybe not the most knowledgeable ones but certainly the average fan.

They also gave up Austin Jackson and a decent prospect.

I think people are way overrating Heyward. Earlier in the year Atlanta was not very happy with him. He hit 11 HR's and had an OPS of .735. He plays stellar defense but guys with those numbers are not going to cost "the farm". He's a good player but he's no superstar or untouchable by any means. He's a career .262 hitter and has had 1 year with more than 20 HR's. He's definitely attainable.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 05:11 PM)
I think people are way overrating Heyward. Earlier in the year Atlanta was not very happy with him. He hit 11 HR's and had an OPS of .735. He plays stellar defense but guys with those numbers are not going to cost "the farm". He's a good player but he's no superstar or untouchable by any means. He's a career .262 hitter and has had 1 year with more than 20 HR's. He's definitely attainable.

Me too. Good fielder and base runner. In addition to your comments, he doesn't knock in a lot or runs. I don't know his RISP stats but my recollection is that Braves put him at leadoff mid season just for that reason. Doesn't make him a bad guy, but Sox would not be getting Mr. Clutch. Still, He would make the Sox a better team.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
Me too. Good fielder and base runner. In addition to your comments, he doesn't knock in a lot or runs. I don't know his RISP stats but my recollection is that Braves put him at leadoff mid season just for that reason. Doesn't make him a bad guy, but Sox would not be getting Mr. Clutch. Still, He would make the Sox a better team.

He has spent time over the past few seasons in the leadoff spot too though which would lead to less rbi opportunities in the nl. I think hitting in different spots in the order kind of changes your approach as well. Still before his prime too.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 06:06 PM)

.301/.388/.389 W/RISP last year. Slugging% is low but he doesn't look like a rally killer either

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 05:11 PM)

Age 26, elite defender, more than a standard deviation above average at the plate.