Who does SoxTalk want?

Eminor3rd

Who you got?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which free agents do you want on the team next year?

• Victor Martinez
    • Pablo Sandoval
    • Max Scherzer
    • Jon Lester
    • James Shields
    • Hanley Ramirez
    • Melky Cabrera
    • Russell Martin
    • Yasmany Tomas
    • Nelson Cruz
  2. 2. cont'd

• Ervin Santana
    • Kenta Maeda
    • David Robertson
    • Brandon McCarthy
    • Francisco Liriano
    • Chase Headley
    • Andrew Miller
    • Justin Masterson
    • Colby Rasmus
    • Jed Lowrie
  3. 3. cont'd

• Nick Markakis
    • Adam LaRoche
    • Jake Peavy
    • Hiroki Kuroda
    • Michael Morse
    • Francisco Rodriguez
    • Edinson Volquez
    • Luke Gregerson
    • Billy Butler
    • Nori Aoki

Simple question: Which players do you want on the team the most?

The purpose of this poll isn't to tackle questions like "Well I want player X if we also get player Y and replace player Z," or "Depending on the direction Hahn takes, I'd like Player X or Player Y." No.This is just to identify the "guys the board likes the most."

Do consider:

- Fit with the roster

- Chemistry in the clubhouse

- Cost of each player based on consensus estimate

Do NOT consider:

- Cost in relation to others, so signing one guy would not prohibit you signing another

- Depth chart implications from new acquisitions, so signing one guy wouldn't block another. Don't consider Sandoval as an obstacle to Headley, but do consider Sandoval as replacing Gillaspie.

I selected Sandoval, Martin, McCarthy, and Miller. I am not trying to corner the market on players whose last names start with the letter "m." This is just what comes to mind initially and my bare bones gut instincts. As the wind changes, my mind may change tomorrow too.

Here's my thoughts:

-Sandoval represents an upgrade defensively at 3B and, aside from struggling against lefties this year, a better all around hitter than Gillaspie. I still like the idea of Gillaspie getting significant playing time both as a DH, a 1B, and some 3B too. You can try him in LF or RF, but I wouldn't count on him being a significant contributor out there. That allows the Sox to better pick their matchups with Gillaspie instead of needing him to play against LHP where he's always been a blackhole.

-Martin represents the biggest upgrade you can have. This is the one that I think I probably had the toughest time making, but I think it's an area where the Sox could reap the most benefit. I don't mind what Tyler Flowers does at catcher as a significant contributor whatsoever, but it's an area of the team where a significant upgrade can absolutely be made. Bringing in Martin allows the Sox to shop Flowers or use him in a more traditional backup role. It also provides them some depth at the catcher position, which really makes you say "WTF? They never have depth at catcher" but they finally would.

-McCarthy is a fairly solid #3 starter with previous injury concerns which I think allows you to get him for 3 years instead of 4-5 (which is what a pitcher would normally get at that age and stage). This limits your overall risk and provides you with a very possibly high upside pitcher, which decreases the need for guys like Carroll to give significant innings.

-Miller is the best LH reliever on the market and likely to get way too much money for a reliever, but he is also a guy who's shown good command, good control, high velocity, and good breaking pitches. Guys who can do those kinds of things on the mound I think can provide some more long-term sustainable success as relievers. You always worry about injury, but I think even that over 4 years is not a bad investment.

Of course, this is also only the top 30 or so free agents on the market, and I think there are going to be a lot of other moves made and a lot more interesting guys. I don't think Martin is a guy they will get as I think the Cubs will pay him 5/$75 or something absurd just to assure he signs. Sandoval may get 6 years guaranteed and that's not a step I'm willing to take with him (I have him at 5/$90 - 5 years at $17 mill per with a vesting option for, say, $20 million for year 6 with a $5 mill buyout). McCarthy seems like a guy who will re-sign with the Yankees and he could ultimately get $12-13 mill per year, where I'm really only willing to go to $11 and would prefer him at $10 mill, and Miller could easily get 4 years at $10+ mill per (that is a contract I'm really, really interested in seeing).

(Also, I added Mike Morse because it doesn't hurt to have a guy who can hit LHP plus a few other positions around the field. His last name coincidentally (or not) starts with "M" and I had to take someone from the latter list, so those are the reasons)

I voted for McCarthy and Headley. I would also add Jose Fernandez and Joe Thatcher.

McCarthy would fit in as an innings eater that would provide some balance to the rotation. Headley would fit in well at the Cell and would upgrade the IF defense. Fernandez is an elite bat that could end up being a huge table setter for Abreu. Thatcher is a LHRP average to above average that will not break the bank.

Then package Sanchez or Johnson along with Gillaspie and a pitcher to see what you can pull in to upgrade a corner OF spot.

None of these guys are attached to draft compensation and would allow the Sox to keep re-inforcing the farm system so that they can graduate talent to replace the guys that they are signing now.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
Yeah, I had to make some cuts because the poll limited me to 30. Morse was the last guy I took off, and it's worth noting that there area smattering or relievers that didn't get put in but we should be expected to court.

You should have done one for hitters and one for pitchers! I am extremely disappointed in your creative thinking.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
Pleased to see LaRoche with some early support. I think he's a great fit for us, failing that we come up with a good rotating OF DH situation.

I went with Sandoval, Masterson, and LaRoche.

I too think LaRoche would be a great fit because of his ability to play first and a lefty bat. A 2 year deal would make sense for him.

I like LaRoche, but he's not my favorite option. I think his addition really limits what the Sox can do from a versatility standpoint. It's not quite Paul Konerko last year, where he's a part time DH/1B who adds nothing else, but it would be nice if there was a little more that could be done. That's why I'm as big of a proponent as I am for Sandoval - his addition relegates Gillaspie to the DH position, which is not a bad thing whatsoever because Gillaspie is a guy who can play multiple positions which allows the Sox to matchup with teams a bit better.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
I like LaRoche, but he's not my favorite option. I think his addition really limits what the Sox can do from a versatility standpoint. It's not quite Paul Konerko last year, where he's a part time DH/1B who adds nothing else, but it would be nice if there was a little more that could be done. That's why I'm as big of a proponent as I am for Sandoval - his addition relegates Gillaspie to the DH position, which is not a bad thing whatsoever because Gillaspie is a guy who can play multiple positions which allows the Sox to matchup with teams a bit better.

I am just not sure how much longer Sandoval has before he starts to break down with his Cecil Fielder body type. His defense is pretty limited as well as he doesn't move particularly well at the position and the Giants have been talking about moving him across the diamond for years.

Based on the threads i've been reading this off-season, no one.

Every thread starts with "Are we interested in this player?" and within a page becomes an argument.

"[X] players has [Y] warts and (trading for/signing) him would literally destroy the White Sox entire franchise."

QUOTE (daggins @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
Based on the threads i've been reading this off-season, no one.

Every thread starts with "Are we interested in this player?" and within a page becomes an argument.

"[X] players has [Y] warts and (trading for/signing) him would literally destroy the White Sox entire franchise."

But then there are also people like me who have wanted everyone lol.

In a tough decision I went with VMart, Headley, and KRod....but as I sit here I'm thinkin I really want Andrew Miller....but then

I start to think about having to have Petricka close and am wanting KRod....And then I'm all like lets just keep Conor disregard Headley and get both...but then I'm all like that's a lot of money spent on relievers.....and then I'm all like so, what the problem is....then I'm like this offseason is gonna be fun....or at least it should be.

I have no idea what just happened....just like I have no idea what's gonna happen this offseason.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
The first three to triple digits: Sandoval, Miller, Gregerson.

So SoxTalk DOES want Hahn to spend on the bullpen.

I wouldn't say we -want- to as much as we all see there is no reasonable in-house alternative

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
I wouldn't say we -want- to as much as we all see there is no reasonable in-house alternative

Bassitt, Petricka, Putnam, and probably Guerra are reasonable pen options next year. I wouldnt mind seeing Miller brought in as a closing option. Move him to the 8th if it's heavily lefthanded.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
The first three to triple digits: Sandoval, Miller, Gregerson.

So SoxTalk DOES want Hahn to spend on the bullpen.

Gregerson is a guy I really don't like whatsoever, and I think the Sox in-house options plus cheap alternatives on the market for right handed relievers is plentiful enough that they shouldn't spend significantly.

I've already let it be known that I don't mind spending a lot on Miller, but I think he's going to get even more than I am comfortable with. I am assuming he's going to be worth 7 WAR over the next 4 years, but I also want to spend less than the AAV/WAR in a free agent scenario as I do not believe the wins he will add will justify it in the short-term and you'll see diminishing returns over the course of the contract, though he should still be a valuable and capable reliever.

My absolute max contract for Andrew Miller would be 4/$40, and I would be extremely hesitant to give that to a non-closer. I'd prefer to get him around 4/$32. And, in reality, I have absolutely no idea whatsoever to expect for him with regards to a contract.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)

I know many don't agree, but our pen didn't lack for talent. Our biggest problem was the domino effect of missing guys from the back of the pen, and pushing guys who clearly weren't ready to be late inning guys got into those roles.

If you get a real closer at the back end, and move guys back into the middle innings that belong there, the pen gets a whole lot better, very quickly.