Chicago White Sox and WGN-A TV Broadcasts

elrockinMT

I was doing some inquiries of my own on the Sox and WGN baseball broadcasts for 2015 and this is what I just received back today

We anticipate having at least 30 in-season games televised by WGN thru the 2019 season.

Thank you for your interest in the Chicago White Sox.

sent by

Bob Grim | Sr. Dir., Broadcasting & Business Development | Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
I don't believe the games will be broadcast on "WGN-A", as in WGN-America, but rather WGN-TV, local channel 9 in the Chicagoland area.

Seems that local WGN translated to WGN america last season, however no luck in finding any Bulls/Blachhawks games on WGN American when broadcasted by logal WGN. Any idea as to why?

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
I don't believe the games will be broadcast on "WGN-A", as in WGN-America, but rather WGN-TV, local channel 9 in the Chicagoland area.

They always have been on WGN-A. That better not change or there will be 50+ games a year I have no legal way of watching.

I am not real familiar with the WGN and WGNA designation or difference. But, hopefully I am good here with WGNA as our local cable provider just upgraded to HD for that channel

Originally, there was just one WGN. Once WGN picked up a network affiliation (that was the WB and is now the CW), they had to send out a second signal with alternate programming to viewers outside the Chicago area since network programming would be blacked out in any location that had a local CW station. Eventually, the two stations diverged to the point that the only common programming was Bulls/Sox/Cubs games and the evening news.

WGN America (which is what everybody outside the Chicago metro area gets) has decided to stop showing Cubs/Sox games, so they will now only air on the local version of WGN.