Max Scherzer

GGajewski18

Surprised there isn't a thread about him yet. Surprisingly, the Sox have been linked to Scherzer by Hayes and Heyman so far as a dark horse to sign him.

The money and years he is going to command is definitely scary, and I really hope the Sox don't sign him to a long lucrative contract.

What are your guys thoughts on Scherzer?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
Surprised there isn't a thread about him yet. Surprisingly, the Sox have been linked to Scherzer by Hayes and Heyman so far as a dark horse to sign him.

The money and years he is going to command is definitely scary, and I really hope the Sox don't sign him to a long lucrative contract.

it would be a great investment. will make the sox a force to

be reckon with for yrs. esp when Jose, Sale, Q, are in there

prime yrs.

now on the other side of the coin, can the sox get that results

from a pitcher like Lester?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)

On the one hand, Scherzer is an undeniably good pitcher.

On the other hand, a guy with his batted ball profile doesn't fit well at the Cell; bottom 10 of qualified pitchers in GB/FB last year.

On the third hand, a strikeout guy fits well with the Sox defense.

On the final hand, signing the most expensive pitcher in a given offseason is a bad idea and you should never ever do it.

Adding a Scherzer or Shark to this rotation would be great, however, the cost, years, and tail risk is tough to swallow for a team with a payroll that won't exceed $100M. That said, the Sox are in a position, with other cost controlled arms, to technically be able to sign one picture to a big money deal. Potential for a front 4 long-term of Sale / Q / R / Scherzer (or Shark) is very nice. However, if you are talking Scherzer, you then are talking 2 guys with what would be deemed more high risk mechanics in your rotation (Sale being the other). Again, hard to predict cause you never know what will happen.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 03:41 PM)
On the one hand, Scherzer is an undeniably good pitcher.

On the other hand, a guy with his batted ball profile doesn't fit well at the Cell; bottom 10 of qualified pitchers in GB/FB last year.

On the third hand, a strikeout guy fits well with the Sox defense.

On the final hand, signing the most expensive pitcher in a given offseason is a bad idea and you should never ever do it.

niccceeeeee i like the breakdown.

I'd be all for going after Scherzer. Not only do you take a big piece away from a division rival, but you build a filthy rotation for the next 5 years atleast. I know the money and years arent popular, but I honestly think he is one of the safer picks in this years free agent class. If they dont sign him, I would really like them to spend that money of a LF and bullpen.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
Is it possible this is the one time where the hype over how much a star player will get will not at all match-up to what people pay him?

I can't remember a time when the contract for a front line starting pitcher didn't live up to the hype.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)
Yeah, I can't remember a time where the top pitcher on the market didn't get a contract that made people think "WTF are they thinking?!?!??!"

but a contract to a major sp like this is saying, "look out here

we come"

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
I'd have zero problem with this, esp. if Danks is traded. Either way I'd have no issue with it.

I firmly believe that within a couple years the salary will be back up around 120M so I'm fine with making this move that would put it up around 75 before anything else.

it may even be next yr. with a trip to the playoff to boot.