White Sox focused on RH SP, LH bat, bullpen

southsider2k5

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 06:11 AM)
I'm always kind of surprised the quests browsing the forum seem to always outnumber the members whenever I look . Like now even though its late in Chicago 36 people browsing the forum 28 of which are guests.

I guess it is a sense of flattery. coping from the best. the best is

soxtalk. :lol:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
Grandal was pulled from the lineup on July 31st last year. I agree he'd make sense. That is also a place where Tank is actually a fit.

1B - LH Yonder Alonso - .240/.285/.397/.682

LF - LH Seth Smith - Had a great year last year but sucks against LHP.

RF - LH Will Venable - .224/.288/.325./613

The thing that is strange about Hahn's comments in that three way trade is he made it seem like that player was a notable type. The only guys that make sense are Grandal and Ackley. I am not enamored but Ackley but would still love trying to add to the young talent with Grandal. Viciedo + an arm for Grandal would make me very happy. The Padres have plenty of reasons to make that trade too. They have underperforming left-handed options in the corner outfield as well as at 1B. Plus, Rene Rivera was the much better catcher for them this year and Austin Hedges has elite defense at the top of the minor league system. Another thing to consider would be the regime change and how none of these players were acquired by the guy at the helm. Whether the Padres have interest in a guy like Viciedo is uncertain, but they do have three potentially starting caliber catchers in Rivera/Grandal/Hedges. Something has to give there.

The thought of Grandal on the south side excites me, that allows the sox to push everyone back a peg; Flowers to back up and platoon, Nieto down to AAA to hone his defensive ability. To your point I don't know if Viciedo would interest them much but power is in short supply and both players are a good "change of scenery" type. Something like Viciedo + Andre Wheeler or Jordan Guerrero, live arms way off in the distance in A ball makes a lot of sense to me.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)
https://twitter.com/DOBrienAJC/status/534123924477739008

If the Braves are more likely to trade a setup guy, the White Sox probably match up with them pretty well.

Jordan Walden, David Carpenter. Somebody named Anthony Varvaro who I never heard of, or forgot.

IF they are trading a bullpen piece I want Shae Simmons

Simmons

Edited by BigHurt3515

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
Not that it's going to happen, because it's not...but if the Sox announced that they signed matching 4 yr/36 mil contracts for David Robertson and Andrew Miller, what would your reaction be?

My initial reaction would be "What else are they going to do?" You just don't spend $18 million on two relievers and call it quits at that point. They'd have to add at least one starter and one outfielder, and you could argue that they could add another outfielder beyond that and perhaps an additional catcher.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
Not that it's going to happen, because it's not...but if the Sox announced that they signed matching 4 yr/36 mil contracts for David Robertson and Andrew Miller, what would your reaction be?

I'd be genuinely surprised that the White Sox gave up their 2nd round pick for a pricey relief pitcher and expect that they're probably going to look for another major FA signing somewhere as a consequence.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
My initial reaction would be "What else are they going to do?" You just don't spend $18 million on two relievers and call it quits at that point. They'd have to add at least one starter and one outfielder, and you could argue that they could add another outfielder beyond that and perhaps an additional catcher.

Same

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)

How did we get them so cheap, considering what Robertson turned down in NYY.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
How did we get them so cheap, considering what Robertson turned down in NYY.

I think Robertson turned down the QO because something like 4/$40 gives him a lot more guaranteed money. 3/36 as quoted isn't far from that, and it would guarantee him $20 million more.

I for one would be ecstatic about Miller and Robertson if they add 1 more SP to the mix.

Once they add Rodon to the mix with Sale, Q, said SP, and Danks/Noesi/Bassitt that's gonna be a pitching staff, as a whole that's gonna win you a lot of ball games. It might be a lot of low scoring games but a W is a W.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
I for one would be ecstatic about Miller and Robertson if they add 1 more SP to the mix.

Once they add Rodon to the mix with Sale, Q, said SP, and Danks/Noesi/Bassitt that's gonna be a pitching staff, as a whole that's gonna win you a lot of ball games. It might be a lot of low scoring games but a W is a W.

And your OF defense is still pretty terrible overall too. They need to bring in at least one outfielder this offseason and preferably two. Going into the year with your top 5 outfielders being Eaton, Garcia, Viciedo, Danks, and Shuck is not good. The two after that are Mitchell and Thompson.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 02:33 PM)
Ethier and 20 mil from the Dodgers for Danks...?

I don't doubt the possibility that they could deal Danks for Ethier, but I don't think they're getting $20 mill back from LA. They may get a little to offset the cost in the final year, but not $20 million.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)

I'd smile a lot and think we were headed in the right direction. And give Hahn a big ata boy

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
I don't doubt the possibility that they could deal Danks for Ethier, but I don't think they're getting $20 mill back from LA. They may get a little to offset the cost in the final year, but not $20 million.

Ethier is owed a little less than $4Million more than Danks, in each of the next two seasons.

If he could fill the need for another outfielder, and a left handed bat, an even swap might be justified.

The problem is the 3RD year of his contract, when he will still be owed another $17.5 Million, while Danks' contract will have expired.

If the Sox could get a little relief for that 3RD year, it might be worth while.

Does Ethier represent a good enough defensive upgrade in RF to justify acquiring him?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
Ethier is owed a little less than $4Million more than Danks, in each of the next two seasons.

If he could fill the need for another outfielder, and a left handed bat, an even swap might be justified.

The problem is the 3RD year of his contract, when he will still be owed another $17.5 Million, while Danks' contract will have expired.

If the Sox could get a little relief for that 3RD year, it might be worth while.

Does Ethier represent a good enough defensive upgrade in RF to justify acquiring him?

Ethier is an OK defensive outfielder who is probably going to be a bad defensive outfielder at the end of the deal.

The biggest question in my mind, regarding Ethier, is whether or not last year's dramatic decline in offensive performance is merely an aberration, or the beginning of a significant decline. I understand that he was unhappy about not getting more playing time, but was there any other possible explanation for his poor year?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)

Ethier has one more extra additional year (2017) on his deal than Danks at 17.5 mil + a 2.5 mil buyout after that.

If they got 20 mil to offset the final year and the buyout, the Sox owe $4 mil more ($18 mil as opposed to $14 mil) to Ethier per year than Danks in '15 and '16.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)
Ethier has one more extra additional year (2017) on his deal than Danks at 17.5 mil + a 2.5 mil buyout after that.

If they got 20 mil to offset the final year and the buyout, the Sox owe $4 mil more ($18 mil as opposed to $14 mil) to Ethier per year than Danks in '15 and '16.

I just don't see why the Dodgers would do that. Why are they going to pay $20 million for Ethier to play elsewhere in 2017? I think Danks for Ethier makes a lot of sense, but if the Sox want the Dodgers to eat some of that 2017 salary, they're going to need to include another body or else the Dodgers could likely find someone else with whom to trade.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)

Yes. I thought that was precisely what I said. Do the Sox really need $20 Million to offset the difference? Wouldn't half of that be sufficient? I would rather have Ethier than Danks the next two years, and he is probably worth the extra $3.7 Million in each of those years.

If the last year of his contract cost the Sox around $7 Million, after accounting for $10 Million from the Dodgers, don't you think that would be reasonable?

Reclamation projects like Hochevar and Morrow hasn't been mentioned a lot around here. I think both can be had for around 1 year $5 mil deals.

I think there is a good chance that either, if not both, will bounce back with the Sox. Hochevar, if comes back healthy from TMJ, can be a low cost option at closer. Morrow brings mid rotation stuff to the table, worst case he could be a useful piece in the bullpen.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:52 PM)
Reclamation projects like Hochevar and Morrow hasn't been mentioned a lot around here. I think both can be had for around 1 year $5 mil deals.

I think there is a good chance that either, if not both, will bounce back with the Sox. Hochevar, if comes back healthy from TMJ, can be a low cost option at closer. Morrow brings mid rotation stuff to the table, worst case he could be a useful piece in the bullpen.

both?? maybe 1 and a regular starting pen guy who is healthy. 2 will put the sox

behind the 8 ball. esp in the first month of the season when it is cold and windy,

the team will need healthy arms and also remember the sox will not go with the 5

man rotation until 2 or 3 week of the new season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
I just don't see why the Dodgers would do that. Why are they going to pay $20 million for Ethier to play elsewhere in 2017? I think Danks for Ethier makes a lot of sense, but if the Sox want the Dodgers to eat some of that 2017 salary, they're going to need to include another body or else the Dodgers could likely find someone else with whom to trade.

The Dodger are the one with a glut of overpaid OF's. They can keep them and never get Pederson in the lineup or bite the bullet and eat some salary . No team should want to pick up those full salaries based on Dodger desperation to move those bad contracts.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside