The Winter/Spring Weather Complaint Thread

knightni

So our first school cancellation of the year was today. 3½ inches of snow. Worst thing is that it came on the worst possible day for my wife. She works 6:30pm-7:00am 3 nights/week at a hospital, and the normal routine is I leave for work as soon as she gets home, she stays up until the kids are off to school, and then sleeps while the kids are at school. She works again tonight, so just staying up until I get home isn't an option, and I have things going on at work today that I couldn't miss so I couldn't just call in. She's having to leave the 7 and 6 year old mostly unsupervised while she sleeps, setting an alarm every 90-120 minutes to get up and check on them.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:03 AM)
So our first school cancellation of the year was today. 3½ inches of snow. Worst thing is that it came on the worst possible day for my wife. She works 6:30pm-7:00am 3 nights/week at a hospital, and the normal routine is I leave for work as soon as she gets home, she stays up until the kids are off to school, and then sleeps while the kids are at school. She works again tonight, so just staying up until I get home isn't an option, and I have things going on at work today that I couldn't miss so I couldn't just call in. She's having to leave the 7 and 6 year old mostly unsupervised while she sleeps, setting an alarm every 90-120 minutes to get up and check on them.

My wife did that quite a bit when our kids were little and we had no babysitter for one reason or another. Barney and Teletubby videos, N64 games and lots of barbie dolls typically kept them entertained. They knew to stay inside and not try to cook anything on the stove themselves.

We had schools close around here yesterday not because of any snow, but because they couldn't get the buses started. :lol:

Edited by Iwritecode

• 5 weeks later...

I need dry weather from 8:30 am until about 3pm tomorrow. The golf tournament fundraiser will cover about half my budget for next year. Last year we had to cancel and I'm running on fumes. The rainy day fund was cut into deeply. The rain is suppose to stop overnight. :pray

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)
The change in weather is giving me mad migraines.

What do you take? I've had chronic migraines since I was a kid, the weather gets me too. I started as an Imitrex user (made me sick) now I am on relpax but my mom swears by this dissolvable tab that just came out. My doc only gives me 4 pills per refill which is bulls***.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 05:15 PM)
Any must see/do's? Going on a bachelor party for 5 days. I think the only activity planned so far is spearfishing.

well the obvious places like seeing Old San Juan and El Morro were very cool.

Being that you are going for a bachelor party it may not be the same type of trip that I took with my wife. LOL

The El Yunque rainforest was awesome. Drive up to the almost the top of the mountain and hike the La Mina trail to get to the La Mina waterfall. It is about a half hour drive and about a 45 minute hike but its worth it to swim in the falls. That was my favorite part of the trip. If you do anything outside of partying that is a must do.

Also eat a Kan Kan pork chop with some mofungo at Raices in Old San Juan. It is great.

If you have time also hit up one of the biobays, but again you probably arent going to be looking for stuff like that doing the bachelor party.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 05:29 PM)
I am really hoping they are over playing the storm that is coming. Give me like 3 inches and I will be happy with that outcome.

They have moved the bullseye about 50 miles west in the last 24 hours, which puts the worst of it over Michiana. Chicago doesn't look to be set to get it as bad, especially the further east and north you go.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
well the obvious places like seeing Old San Juan and El Morro were very cool.

Being that you are going for a bachelor party it may not be the same type of trip that I took with my wife. LOL

The El Yunque rainforest was awesome. Drive up to the almost the top of the mountain and hike the La Mina trail to get to the La Mina waterfall. It is about a half hour drive and about a 45 minute hike but its worth it to swim in the falls. That was my favorite part of the trip. If you do anything outside of partying that is a must do.

Also eat a Kan Kan pork chop with some mofungo at Raices in Old San Juan. It is great.

If you have time also hit up one of the biobays, but again you probably arent going to be looking for stuff like that doing the bachelor party.

El Morro is awesome. If you're there on a nice Sunday, you'll see hundreds of people flying kites on the lawn leading up to it.

I'd recommend La Bombonera for breakfast, but I was disappointed to find out a month ago that they closed permanently. Lots of places have mallorca breakfast sandwiches, though, so definitely find somewhere to try one. Not everyone loves mofungo (big ball of mashed and fried plantains served with delicious meats/seafood/vegetables), but I thought it was delicious.

I haven't done the Bacardi tour, but my wife, mom and mother-in-law did and didn't think it was worth the trip. Maybe on a bachelor party it'd be more fun, though.

El Yunque was pretty cool. Arecibo is about an hour west of San Juan. That's the huge radiotelescope that they used in both Contact and Goldeneye. It's a nice drive through the mountains, but not sure if it's really a bachelor party thing unless you've got some sciency nerds in the group (plus you'd need to rent a car).

edit: this is appropriate for the winter weather thread because it makes us think of places that don't have crap weather

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
El Morro is awesome. If you're there on a nice Sunday, you'll see hundreds of people flying kites on the lawn leading up to it.

I'd recommend La Bombonera for breakfast, but I was disappointed to find out a month ago that they closed permanently. Lots of places have mallorca breakfast sandwiches, though, so definitely find somewhere to try one. Not everyone loves mofungo (big ball of mashed and fried plantains served with delicious meats/seafood/vegetables), but I thought it was delicious.

I haven't done the Bacardi tour, but my wife, mom and mother-in-law did and didn't think it was worth the trip. Maybe on a bachelor party it'd be more fun, though.

El Yunque was pretty cool. Arecibo is about an hour west of San Juan. That's the huge radiotelescope that they used in both Contact and Goldeneye. It's a nice drive through the mountains, but not sure if it's really a bachelor party thing unless you've got some sciency nerds in the group (plus you'd need to rent a car).

edit: this is appropriate for the winter weather thread because it makes us think of places that don't have crap weather

I know we're definitely making a trip to Old San Juan/El Murro. I'll have to talk them into Arecibo. We are renting a big 15 passenger van, so it may be worth a drive. We're not nerds, necessarily, but if you can see the satellite from a road or whatever I think most of the group would at least think it was cool based on Goldeneye alone.

I know we're also doing a food and drink tour, so that should be fun. We were debating doing the Don Q tour but that's in Ponce and we'll be in San Juan.

And yeah, i'm looking forward to the weather. 84 and sunny for 4 days. Now I just have to hope I get there. Tomorrow could be a 14-15 hour travel day if the weather sucks and I get delayed.