white sox heavily in the left handed relief market

Whisox05

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)
If Hahn can somehow pull off signing Miller, that would be amazing.

The comments underneath are interesting, what about Bastardo from the Phillies. He's an interesting arm to look at too.

I don't even need Andrew Miller. I'd be happy with Zach Duke. Real happy.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
Jon morosi

White Sox heavily involved in market for left-handed relief pitching. Currently hreplace y 2 LH relievers on roster (Surkamp, Snodgress).

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/534029271740993536

i believe the Braves have 3-4 guys on their 40 man roster that could be available to as I read the other day they are looking to move relievers for backend starters to replace Santana innings and Beachy/Medlen innings

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
i believe the Braves have 3-4 guys on their 40 man roster that could be available to as I read the other day they are looking to move relievers for backend starters to replace Santana innings and Beachy/Medlen innings

it was also said then, maybe by another source that the Braves will look for max

return.

so again at what price?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 08:33 PM)
I don't like giving any reliever more than 2 years.

i guess i would be a SOB as a gm and i would run the team into a drain.

i too am against that for a reliever esp one in their 30+ yrs. if it was a

young pitchers, it needs to be a situation by situation case.

whether the sox thinks like that, it all depends on the market and what

team are willing to spend.

hence supply and demand.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
Knowing they have at least $40 million to spend this off-season, I'm resigned that they are going to overpay whether it's on middle relievers or veterans past their peak years.

I don't think they're getting Andrew Miller.

I think Joe Thatcher may be a better/cheaper move for the Sox. Posted a 9.4 K/9 and a 1.1 BB/9 last year w/ the Diamondbacks and a 2.63 ERA. He finished the year w/ the Dodgers and was terrible in only 6 innings.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 09:07 PM)
I don't think they're getting Andrew Miller.

I think Joe Thatcher may be a better/cheaper move for the Sox. Posted a 9.4 K/9 and a 1.1 BB/9 last year w/ the Diamondbacks and a 2.63 ERA. He finished the year w/ the Dodgers and was terrible in only 6 innings.

that will be a very good option. remember the team, the overall team and their performance

will be much better than last yr. the sox have a great foundation set and with new additions,

the team is going to be better. with all that, the sox don't need a kick arse closer, but very good

pitchers who can pitch.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
You almost invariably overpay for the top guys in the reliever market, but there are always great values just after that first tier

Sure and obviously getting more than one reliever is probably in the works. I think if they dont sign Miller it wont be for a lack of trying. I just dont think they'll try what they did last year again.

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
Sure and obviously getting more than one reliever is probably in the works. I think if they dont sign Miller it wont be for a lack of trying. I just dont think they'll try what they did last year again.

Yeah I think it will certainly look like we tried to address the pen by the end of the offseason, which likely means signing at least one recognizable name to a contract

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
Yeah I think it will certainly look like we tried to address the pen by the end of the offseason, which likely means signing at least one recognizable name to a contract

That is kinda what they did last year, Scott Downs is at least a consistent name who had been around for a decade+ and quite reliable.

I'm with Baron on this. The Sox blew 21 save opportunities in 2014 and have money to spend so spend it wisely and not on some cheap s*** fresh off the bargain basement scrap heap.

If they converted just half (10/11) of those opportunities, they end the season with 83-84 wins and fan base with a much more positive outlook on 2015.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
I'm with Baron on this. The Sox blew 21 save opportunities in 2014 and have money to spend so spend it wisely and not on some cheap s*** fresh off the bargain basement scrap heap.

If they converted just half (10/11) of those opportunities, they end the season with 83-84 wins and fan base with a much more positive outlook on 2015.

I know it sounds like a nice easy thing to do, oh just don't blow 1/2 of those saves, but go a step deeper. Exactly 1 team in all of MLB had 11 blown saves or fewer - the Padres. Even the Royals tallied more blown saves than that.

So to say yours a different way, "If their bullpen was replaced by a bullpen even better than the Royals, they'd have been above .500!".

Does that put into context how truly huge of a jump that would require?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
They can also afford Max Scherezer, that doesn't make signing him financially prudent.

Except they dont really need a Max Scherzer. They need relief pitching in the worst way and it seems they understand they have to put funds that way. How much do you want to bet that when they sign a relief pitcher it's going to be a hefty sum of money for over 2 years?