Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
Man the last few pages of this thread have been terrible. Go cry somewhere else. The White Sox upgraded in a big way. I'm going to choose to be excited about that.

Agreed. Granted I ragged about when we kept hearing about being aggressive and nothing happening.We heard that for so many years. But NOW they are putting their money where their mouth is and making a splash and trying to put together a solid competitive team for Sox fans to gete excited about. I don't get all of the nay saying. Geeez pretty soon ya know it..........some fans...you can give them a 5 million fdollar winning laottery ticket, and then they would say in return. "Yeah biut LAST MONTH it was 7 million...and NOW I have to pat taxes!" Hahn, KW JR regardless whatever happens in 2015 (Whether its a success or it all backfires) THANK YOU for GOING FOR IT and getting us a real reason to want to watch and go to games and talk excitedly about our home team again. I know that on this board and also with my friends off of the board, that there has been MORE talking discussing and enthusiasm about what has been talking place in the last 2 weeks than I remember in a LONG TIME. SO FUN to talk, dream, hope, with VERY high anticipation about what has been taking place and also what we HOPE will take place in the 2015 season. KW...you said you bring us excitement again. YOU DID. Hahn you said you would get aggressive YOU DID ONE LAST piece. JR said he wants another championship. Hopefully his part gets filled as well. Dont know...but at least they are making a serious effort. That's all that we can ask on our part.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 05:35 PM)
He'll be too busy moping about himself.

Granted Gillaspie is ok at 3rd and Ok with the bat.............but geez if I was on a good team, would i really want a team mate with a personality of that that has the equivalency of a bowl of oatmeal?. Heck no. Show some friggin enthusiasm for others on your team. Leave the friggin "puss-face" at home and be a team member will ya? Lets face it, do either you or I like to be around someone with an attitude that sucks and never seems happy about anything? Then how much more does that go into effect when you have teammates that you play, gel with, and travel with for 6 months at a time and are around each other all of the time? If anything I would like to see him go if only for the sake of his Rosey O Donnell attitude to go bye bye.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
Granted Gillaspie is ok at 3rd and Ok with the bat.............but geez if I was on a good team, would i really want a team mate with a personality of that that has the equivalency of a bowl of oatmeal?. Heck no. Show some friggin enthusiasm for others on your team. Leave the friggin "puss-face" at home and be a team member will ya? Lets face it, do either you or I like to be around someone with an attitude that sucks and never seems happy about anything? Then how much more does that go into effect when you have teammates that you play, gel with, and travel with for 6 months at a time and are around each other all of the time? If anything I would like to see him go if only for the sake of his Rosey O Donnell attitude to go bye bye.

My take on his attitude is that he's just very cerebral, competitive, young, and hard on himself.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 11:31 PM)
I love the signing. Melky will be a huge upgrade in LF.

The hate and distaste for the signing because he was caught juicing baffles me unless those expressing the hate can say the same about all of the others who have been caught. Furthermore, if anyone thinks they're weren't juicers on the 2005 World Series championship team, they are deluding themselves.

I shake my head in disgust whenever there's a revelation somebody used or uses steroids.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 03:00 AM)
Man the last few pages of this thread have been terrible. Go cry somewhere else. The White Sox upgraded in a big way. I'm going to choose to be excited about that.

Nobody seems to be crying. Some of us would rather not sign the guy because of his past. I also don't think he's worth the money, but it's not my money, so I won't lose sleep over that. Isn't this guy getting as much or more than Dunn got from the Sox? Man, salaries are skyrocketing more and more, even since the Dunn signing. Cmon. Melky is not worth that kind of money. Sox overpaid greatly at least as far as what he's worth. Whether you want to believe this or not, Butler MIGHT hit better and produce more runs than Melky this year. Melky ain't no Mickey Mantle.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 04:13 AM)
It happens with EVERY signing or trade. Go look back at the Abreu thread and there's complaints there about the money / his "ability to hit the inside fastball"... Meh... If they signed Scherzer - there would be complaints.

Some of us don't like the signing. No biggie. I'm not going to root for him to fail, or anything like that.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:59 PM)
He's now the 3rd White Sox player who has been suspended for PEDs.

I know but none of those were involved in the biggest PED scandal in recent memory.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 07:13 PM)
It happens with EVERY signing or trade. Go look back at the Abreu thread and there's complaints there about the money / his "ability to hit the inside fastball"... Meh... If they signed Scherzer - there would be complaints.

:lol: I totally bought into that claim that his bat was only slider speed.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:50 PM)
I shake my head in disgust whenever there's a revelation somebody used or uses steroids.

Nobody seems to be crying. Some of us would rather not sign the guy because of his past. I also don't think he's worth the money, but it's not my money, so I won't lose sleep over that. Isn't this guy getting as much or more than Dunn got from the Sox? Man, salaries are skyrocketing more and more, even since the Dunn signing. Cmon. Melky is not worth that kind of money. Sox overpaid greatly at least as far as what he's worth. Whether you want to believe this or not, Butler MIGHT hit better and produce more runs than Melky this year. Melky ain't no Mickey Mantle.

Some of us don't like the signing. No biggie. I'm not going to root for him to fail, or anything like that.

Would you have been happy with Aoki for half that money?

All things considered, we were lucky to get three years instead of four, and lots of projections were in the $15 million range for four seasons.

Billy Butler can't be compared to Melky. If you want to argue we should have signed Butler INSTEAD of LaRoche, that's a valid argument, although...at the time, Melky wasn't a sure thing (for us to sign) and the most important priority seemed to be a middle-of-the-order power bat to replace Dunn.

Melky signing does several thing for the sox.

1. he is going to man the final outfield spot and do it well.

2. he will hit at the #2 spot of the lineup with avg.

3. is a switch hitter.

4. comes at the market value for 3 yrs.

the only negative i can think of.

1. spring training is several months away.