Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
Avisail in RF is not sitting well with me. But you can't have it all and there is the hope he'll improve. It's weird to realize now that...........being win-now.....we suddenly have less patience for Avi coming along than we once did. Were the core of the lineup bashing, I'd want RF locked down defensively. Mid-year.

Be it Avi or a glove-first replacement for him

You mean you have less patience. most people still hvae the patience as he missed most of last year. I haven't heard anyone else mention it.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
@TNT_Mariners: Early on, Melky Cabrera expressed desire not to sign with West Coast club. @Enrique_Rojas1 reports that was a factor in choosing CWS offer.

Flights back to the DR from the West Coast are just a nightmare I'm sure. Not quite as easy as from NYC/East but Chicago is much easier (4 hours closer) than SF/LA/SEA

Enrique Rojas/ESPN ‏@Enrique_Rojas1 45m45 minutes ago Florida, US

Nadie ofreció 4 años y Melky Cabrera escogió oferta de equipo menos alejado del este de USA. Será un #WhiteSox y no #Mariners

Translation: No one offered 4 years, so Melky went with the furthest East team that offered 3. Thus knocking out the Mariners.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
You mean you have less patience. most people still hvae the patience as he missed most of last year. I haven't heard anyone else mention it.

no kidding, the kid suffered a very bad injury and came back and held his own and even showed off his improved sliding techniques. Avi is the least of my worries in 2015. Back end of rotation is way, way, way more dicey than a talented kid like Avi playing his first (knock on wood) full big league season.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 07:43 AM)
I've been an advocate of signing Cabrera but the Sox are only on the hook for three years? Very nice!

So what next, another arm for the pen?

As you know from our discourse in the VMart thread we were telling everyone that if the Sox were going to make big moves that this was the year to do it. The payroll space and protected 1st round pick combined to give Hahn a rare opportunity to be a major player. Even being as nice and logical about as could be others didn't see 2015 as a contention year.

I hope those who doubted are now convinced that what I said could be accomplished by not handing out contracts of more then 3 years. Robertson got 4 but he probably was a guy the Sox wanted badly if their plan was going to take shape .

Even though I advocated it ,deep down, I really didn't expect Hahn to pull it off since FA's have a lot of choices. Major props and kudos to the whole front office . Looking forward to contending ever so much .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
As you know from our discourse in the VMart thread we were telling everyone that if the Sox were going to make big moves that this was the year to do it. The payroll space and protected 1st round pick combined to give Hahn a rare opportunity to be a major player. Even being as nice and logical about as could be others didn't see 2015 as a contention year.

I hope those who doubted are now convinced that what I said could be accomplished by not handing out contracts of more then 3 years. Robertson got 4 but he probably was a guy the Sox wanted badly if their plan was going to take shape .

Even though I advocated it ,deep down, I really didn't expect Hahn to pull it off since FA's have a lot of choices. Major props and kudos to the whole front office . Looking forward to contending ever so much .

Absolutely. I have to admit, I did not think the Sox would be able to pull it off but on paper, they look like they have.

Eaton, Melky, Abreu, LaRoche, Avi, Gillapsie, Alexei, Flowers, Sanchez looks much better than the 2014 lineup.

I wonder if the Sox will still add another arm in the pen?

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
Its cute that people on Twitter think the Sox and Cubs' off-seasons are comparable.

The Cubs' doesnt have to be ..because of the wealth of talent in the system. That's the difference and why we did what we did. But hey keeping Tim Anderson and the other top flight ones....that is the biggest victory of all. We redefined things and held onto our win-laters as well.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
Its cute that people on Twitter think the Sox and Cubs' off-seasons are comparable.

That so called GM over at ESPN gave Cubs the highest off season grade all teams, factoring in the Maddon acquisition of course. Sox came in second with a solid A, but that was pre-Melk Man.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
Absolutely. I have to admit, I did not think the Sox would be able to pull it off but on paper, they look like they have.

Eaton, Melky, Abreu, LaRoche, Avi, Gillapsie, Alexei, Flowers, Sanchez looks much better than the 2014 lineup.

I wonder if the Sox will still add another arm in the pen?

It's possible but the bench is still an area of concern. Need a backup RH INF who maybe has some OBP abilities and RH OF with good defense maybe a little pop. Maybe the Twins are tired of Aaron Hicks. He takes a lot of walks, some pop, speedy and really good CF. It should also be noted wasn't exactly in the Twins good graces by showing up later than expected for a day game. Not sure if there's any lingering effects from that.

He's also a switch hitter.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
It's possible but the bench is still an area of concern. Need a backup RH INF who maybe has some OBP abilities and RH OF with good defense maybe a little pop. Maybe the Twins are tired of Aaron Hicks. He takes a lot of walks, some pop, speedy and really good CF. It should also be noted wasn't exactly in the Twins good graces by showing up later than expected for a day game. Not sure if there's any lingering effects from that.

He's also a switch hitter.

I think the Sox may go with Saladino as the backup RH MI, depending on how his elbow recovers from TJ surgery.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
wink.

Yeah, I'm not even going to bother making a steroid joke, but if you're making the last 2 moves you have to make this one.

the steroid era was great. now my kids can make heroes out of people who actually deserve it

and these jocks can just be exposed as jocks (not humanity's saviors) who entertain me and nothing else.

melky's past is just a red flag in the same way other players have red flags. if he's suspended then our LF goes back to being equal to what Viciedo's WAR was going to be. 0. So we just bank on it not happening as we would any other injury flare up. That's where we're at.

It's a red flag of no larger importance than another.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
melky's past is just a red flag in the same way other players have red flags. if he's suspended then our LF goes back to being equal to what Viciedo's WAR was going to be. 0. So we just bank on it not happening as we would any other injury flare up. That's where we're at.

It's a red flag of no larger importance than another.

The part of the steroid red flag you haven't acknowledged is the guys who have their production fall off a lot once they're off the steroids.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
The part of the steroid red flag you haven't acknowledged is the guys who have their production fall off a lot once they're off the steroids.

It's a red flag with its own specific particulars, yeah. Conversely, we can pay Rios to just be Rios. Clean and meh. I think any way you factor it in, 3 yrs is great. If he's caught then we're out of the consequences in pretty quick fashion.

Over the next three years we are most likely not a WS winner, so this is our stab at it. If we're not the champs then this contract was just another 3 yr way of losing, like anything else was.

The roid aspect doesnt give it any extra/less weight more than anything else.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 07:39 PM)

Okay, but the suspension happened in 2012. Last year should have cleared those concerns

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
Okay, but the suspension happened in 2012. Last year should have cleared those concerns

Yeah, but then the "WTF was his 2013 season" worry hits, where he put up a .682 OPS right after the suspension and didn't last a full season. With how his career has gone, I could easily convince myself that was the year he was clean & that last year he went back on something to try to get another contract.

But anyway, still a move they had to make.