Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
Well, Robin still makes the lineup.

/wet blanket

By adding in a switch hitting RF, they've pretty much actually given Robin the materials he wants. He can balance lefties and righties throughout.

They just need someone they have confidence in to take some PAs from LaRoche and Gillaspie from the RH side.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 06:37 AM)
By adding in a switch hitting RF, they've pretty much actually given Robin the materials he wants. He can balance lefties and righties throughout.

They just need someone they have confidence in to take some PAs from LaRoche and Gillaspie from the RH side.

Agreed. I wonder if that will be a vet FA signing or if it will be someone we acquire for Viciedo? At this point, we definitely have a very balanced lineup. A lot less easy outs than we had in years past. Defense is still suspect and back end of the rotation is iffy at best. This team should contend and be in the race come the trade deadline, which means, if there is an obvious flaw, they can potentially address it at that point, however, to truly be in a good spot, we need a bit more comfort in the rotation, imo.

Who knows..maybe Danks is that much strong and surprises us all. I dont' want to mention Rodon because I think people have absurd expectations of him. I think everyone just assumes he can do what Sale did and well...they forget...Sale is a top 5 pitcher in the game...probably top 3 when healthy (Kershaw / King Felix / Sale).

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 06:49 AM)
Melky signing does several thing for the sox.

1. he is going to man the final outfield spot and do it well.

2. he will hit at the #2 spot of the lineup with avg.

3. is a switch hitter.

4. comes at the market value for 3 yrs.

the only negative i can think of.

1. spring training is several months away.

That negative is killing me

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
Those guys didnt try to create a fake website to hide their guilt.

Did the crime, did the time. He gets caught again there are penalties. If we penalize players for being idiots or a$$holes, professional sports would not exist.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
Yeah, this is where I am at as well. Melky is a highly-regarded teammate too. They really liked him in the Toronto clubhouse. So maybe he does silly things to protect his ego but at least when he's with the other 24 guys he's not going to be a problem.

I was curious as to how Melky is viewed in the clubhouses. All of our moves to date have been good players, but also have been real pro's / good leaders.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)

Good article. The thing I keep pointing to is right now we are probably an 82-86 win team with the ability to win a few more. You get in the playoffs and take away our weaknesses (e.g., 4th / 5th spot in rotation) and I look at that team on its own, and all of a sudden, I see one of the better teams in baseball. I think over a long season, the key to making playoffs will be health (as is the case with most teams) but the unique aspect will be that of Danks / Noesi. I think as they go, so will the Sox as that will be the unique difference between us being a near .500 team and being a team that is better than that and potentially a divisional winner / playoff team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
So, thoughts on Melky vs. Headley at those contracts?

Both players have red flags, I think both are very likely to be worth their deals. Melky makes more sense for the Sox as he had less of a commitment and we know how he plays in LF, while we have no idea how Gillaspie plays in LF (because he would move).

Both have upside, both have risk, both are good for their respective teams.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 12:50 AM)
Both players have red flags, I think both are very likely to be worth their deals. Melky makes more sense for the Sox as he had less of a commitment and we know how he plays in LF, while we have no idea how Gillaspie plays in LF (because he would move).

Both have upside, both have risk, both are good for their respective teams.

Melky's also a much better fit in the 2nd spot of the lineup, and the Sox probably are hesitant to have another 3rd baseman with back issues.

Release from the White Sox

White Sox and outfielder Melky Cabrera agree to terms

An already exciting offseason produced yet another holiday gift for White Sox fans, as the club officially agreed to a three-year contract with outfielder Melky Cabrera. Cabrera, 30, batted .301 (171-568) with 35 doubles, 16 home runs, 73 RBI, 81 runs scored, 54 extra-base hits and a .351 on-base percentage last season with Toronto.

"Melky provides us with a professional hitter, who reaches base on a consistent basis," said Rick Hahn, White Sox senior vice president/general manager. "We think he slides into Robin's batting order perfectly and adds depth to a very versatile lineup. We are very excited about his addition to our roster."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Very interesting.

Wonder if they spend anymore, because if they are already over projected payroll, why not keep going for it? I'm sure the Melky signing will help even more with sales. It'll be interesting to see what Hahn does, even when Hawk hints that he still thinks one or two moves will happen.