Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
I just want to move away from his "head" and more into his talent and fit with the Sox . His upside, if realized, is very high and a potential 4.5 WAR guy who's done it before and is only 28 can't be ignored . If I had to pick one or the other sure it would be Cabrera but I'm greedy I want both unless it costs the Sox a chance to add a quality starter.

He doesn't seem like a bad guy and he knows he is to blame more than anyone. http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/201...y_la_russa.html

LaRussa too has his critics but if wins are the most important things then I guess that makes his personailty a winner too. SO simple so in depth.

Except there is a pretty good chance the two are directly related.

Honestly if the Sox were interested in Rasmus, he would already be on the team. Instead they chose to work the deal so that they didn't get him. That tells me that we aren't going to have any real interest level in the guy.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 09:07 PM)
I just want to move away from his "head" and more into his talent and fit with the Sox . His upside, if realized, is very high and a potential 4.5 WAR guy who's done it before and is only 28 can't be ignored . If I had to pick one or the other sure it would be Cabrera but I'm greedy I want both unless it costs the Sox a chance to add a quality starter.

He doesn't seem like a bad guy and he knows he is to blame more than anyone. http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/201...y_la_russa.html

LaRussa too has his critics but if wins are the most important things then I guess that makes his personality a winner too. SO simple so in depth.

i am sorry but his head will take over for whatever talent he has. Ask any 90's sox or

sox fans ask them about Belle or Clayton.

but LaRussa is a HOF.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)

LaRussa too has his critics but if wins are the most important things then I guess that makes his personality a winner too. SO simple so in depth.

That was a fluff article was from the Spring of 2012

In 2012 he hit .223/.289/.400

His dad being more "positive" and his being more "comfortable" didn't help that season.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 09:08 PM)
All that stuff is 3 years old . He has had good working relationships with a few of his hitting coaches since then.

and it is still a problem.

edit.... oops i did not this was somehow posted by another.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
Except the same stuff seemingly led to him being benched down the stretch last year after another terrible season.

Toronto wasn't going to win the division and had young OF's to look at. What same stuff are you alluding to besides his bad season ? The thing most responsible for his bad season was use of shifts against him . His LD% was good . He is a lot like Dunn hitting wise with the low average and high K's and trouble with the shift except he offers defensive versatility which the Sox badly need in the OF. He was also pretty beat up with hip and hamstring injuries.

I'm not really all that high on him as it may seem. He's much like Beckham and Viciedo as far as untapped potential goes except that he HAS had 2 very good years and it's not all that unreasonable to think he has a few more in him.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)
and it is still a problem.

edit.... oops i did not this was somehow posted by another.

Maybe you can give me links to his problems with other coaches since LaRussa sad he didn't listen to them 3 years ago. So a father likes to talk about his sons. I don't think Rasmus dad could be nearly as bad as Ozzie's kid(s)

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
Maybe you can give me links to his problems with other coaches since LaRussa sad he didn't listen to them 3 years ago. So a father likes to talk about his sons. I don't think Rasmus dad could be nearly as bad as Ozzie's kid(s)

And the Sox let Ozzie walk away to Miami so....

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)
That was a fluff article was from the Spring of 2012

In 2012 he hit .223/.289/.400

His dad being more "positive" and his being more "comfortable" didn't help that season.

So "fluff" pieces we can't trust but pieces knocking him can be ? Why is it pieces that look for the postitive in things are "fluff" any way ? There is something more fascinating or more true about negativity ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
So "fluff" pieces we can't trust but pieces knocking him can be ? Why is it pieces that look for the postitive in things are "fluff" any way ? There is something more fascinating or more true about negativity ?

I gave it to you in the previous post. Your article was spring training fluff 2012. He was awful in 2012. In 2014 he blamed his BABIP. It was .294. His career BABIP is .293. In 2013 it was .356. There is your outlier.

The guy said he has a love/hate relationship with baseball. It is great he is being honest, but that really isn't the type of guy you want to pay millions to play, and then if he struggles, Steverson tried to help him out, but...................

And why deal with the father when he is not such a good bet to be any good? His defense was bad last year. He blamed the turf. He blamed shifts for his lack of hitting. He blamed the Blue Jays for firing the previous hitting coach, If he is this way when he is a major leaguer, I could just imagine what good old dad was like when Colby was a kid. It is so Todd Marinovich to me.

Deep down, Colby probably isn't a bad guy. I saw him throw some balls to fans at USCF. I just think his head is screwed up. His dad wants to blame LaRussa. I think it probably started much earlier than that.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
I gave it to you in the previous post. Your article was spring training fluff 2012. He was awful in 2012. In 2014 he blamed his BABIP. It was .294. His career BABIP is .293. In 2013 it was .356. There is your outlier.

The guy said he has a love/hate relationship with baseball. It is great he is being honest, but that really isn't the type of guy you want to pay millions to play, and then if he struggles, Steverson tried to help him out, but...................

And why deal with the father when he is not such a good bet to be any good? His defense was bad last year. He blamed the turf. He blamed shifts for his lack of hitting. He blamed the Blue Jays for firing the previous hitting coach, If he is this way when he is a major leaguer, I could just imagine what good old dad was like when Colby was a kid. It is so Todd Marinovich to me.

He had 2 good years, one with a 3.6 WAR the other 4.6. I really don't see his Dad as much of a problem or his own attitude, If he can produce 2 decent years in the past he can do it again. The list for improving the team with decent defensive OF's is very short who also provide offensive upside. I think some of you guys are being way too conversative . Too much money, daddy is an issue . Would any of you ever pull the trigger on FA's without getting a great deal ? That is just not how FA works.

DA I know you wanted VMart so we agreed on that so to speak since yrs and money might've ultimately led to not wanting him and I know you disapprove of the Duke signing so just who are you interesting in getting ?

I'm just throwing things out there that have the potential to be creative ways to improve the team . Risk is part of the equation and if we're all looking to minimize risk it sure isn't going to come from free agency. That leaves trades and where is the hope there with so little to trade currently on the roster ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
He had 2 good years, one with a 3.6 WAR the other 4.6. I really don't see his Dad as much of a problem or his own attitude, If he can produce 2 decent years in the past he can do it again. The list for improving the team with decent defensive OF's is very short who also provide offensive upside. I think some of you guys are being way too conversative . Too much money, daddy is an issue . Would any of you ever pull the trigger on FA's without getting a great deal ? That is just not how FA works.

DA I know you wanted VMart so we agreed on that so to speak since yrs and money might've ultimaely led to not wanting him and I know you disapprove of the Duke signing so just who are you interesting in getting ?

I'm just throwing things out there that have the potential to be creative ways to improve the team . Risk is part of the equation and if we're all looking to minimize risk it sure isn't going to come from free agency. That leaves trades and where is the hope there with so little to trade currently on the roster ?

I'd try one of the Dodgers OF. If the Sox sign Melky, I wouldn't be opposed. I used to be a PED, no way guy, but at this point, I gave that up. LaRoche would be OK. It would be interesting to know who all the good players available in trade KW was referring.

As for Rasmus, the Sox could have had him before, when he younger and cheaper and they didn't want him. I just can't see JR signing a guy who hates Tony LaRussa and Tony LaRussa hates as much as him. His dad said you can't even say Tony's name around him without Colby getting angry. And you really wonder if the guy enjoys playing. He seems to enjoy doing well, but it is a game of failure and you have to deal with it a lot. We will probably never know to what extent growing up in a baseball bootcamp affected him. In some way, reading these articles, I feel kind of bad for him. I always assumed he was a jerk, but he seems like a decent guy who probably has some father issues.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 09:45 PM)

1. http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011...ssa-after-trade

2. http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/...dinals-coaches/

three yrs after the trade to tor. in the season of 2014.

3. http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/548803

no more you can look it if you want to.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
with all due respect, name me a player who doesn't play for the

money and love of the game.

I think there was a Not in there...He also tried to lie his way out of his ped use..Sorry I just don't like the guy an can't root for him, and it's just my opinion.

Edited by AlSoxfan

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
I'd try one of the Dodgers OF. If the Sox sign Melky, I wouldn't be opposed. I used to be a PED, no way guy, but at this point, I gave that up. LaRoche would be OK. It would be interesting to know who all the good players available in trade KW was referring.

As for Rasmus, the Sox could have had him before, when he younger and cheaper and they didn't want him. I just can't see JR signing a guy who hates Tony LaRussa and Tony LaRussa hates as much as him. His dad said you can't even say Tony's name around him without Colby getting angry. And you really wonder if the guy enjoys playing. He seems to enjoy doing well, but it is a game of failure and you have to deal with it a lot. We will probably never know to what extent growing up in a baseball bootcamp affected him. In some way, reading these articles, I feel kind of bad for him. I always assumed he was a jerk, but he seems like a decent guy who probably has some father issues.

I like Melky too but if trhe Sox refuse to go 5 years they probably don't get him which means a much less talented list of FA's left to sign. There's still Saunders who can be traded for especialy if it's the Mariners who sign Melky.

I think Rasmus would be much better off just being one of the guyts rather then "The" guy he was always supposed to be. Still rather have Melky and Rasmus or Melky and Saunders than Melky and LaRoche even if it means Rasmus trying to re-establish his value on a short term deal. LaRoche has been consistent but not sure I trust Robin to bench him against LH's and he is 35.

I value 4 good OF's being fresh playing DH or sitting out a day per week as a way to keep them healthy and productive. Rasmus would benefit greatly from that since he might be more like Eaton in that the daily grind in CF is just too much to handle. At this point Rasmus should be a corner OF where I think his defense will be much better but can also play CF to rest Eaton. He wouldn't be the 1st athelete that needs to be coddled and appreciated rather than blamed for everything. LaRoche just doesn't do it for me as far as age and overall team versatilty . Rasmus and Cabrera are youngerish vets who fit better with the core.

If Melky signs elsewhere you know the next articles we see will be " Sox interested in Colby Rasmus. " How far down the FA agent list will the Sox have to go before they actually sign someone who has any amount of talent and upside ? Sox have interest in VMart, Sox have interest in Sandoval, Sox have interest in Miller, LaRoche etc etc until we're settling for scraps once again and the compete year is pushed back to 2017 .

The only bit of light I'm still capable of seeing is the Sox getting a good piece or 2 for Alexei and some, if not most, of this website will be saying "well ,there goes competing for 2015 down the tubes."

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
1. http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011...ssa-after-trade

2. http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/...dinals-coaches/

three yrs after the trade to tor. in the season of 2014.

3. http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/548803

no more you can look it if you want to.

I don't see see any other coaches mentioned in those articles . All those are about his thing with LaRussa and his father speaking his mind about it. I specifically asked for anything since then where he has the same problem with other coaches.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 11:29 PM)
I don't see see any other coaches mentioned in those articles . All those are about his thing with LaRussa and his father speaking his mind about it. I specifically asked for anything since then where he has the same problem with other coaches.

you can spin it anyway you want. its is all there. esp his problems in Tor. that was according

to his father Tonly LaRussa fault????

get real.

i am done

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)
Not sure where you are getting the $10 million remaining number from. The Sox could go anywhere from $90 to $100 million total payroll. Right now, including Viciedo's estimated $4.5 million, the total is about $ 62 million. that could leave them with as much as $40 million to spend - $14M for Melky, $9M for Kendry Morales, $12M for McCarthy, Masterson, Maeda or Hammel, and $5M for Luke Gregerson is one way of spending that money.

Getting Cabrera as a switch hitter, and getting Kendry Morales as a switcher, greatly improves the overall lineup and its flexibility.

Gregerson's going to be more pricey than Duke in this market, especially if his agent can market him as a potential closer option.

BTW, I thought someone said we were at $66 million with Duke added?

Maeda's probably going to be over that $12 million....McCarthy at or below, Masterson below and Hammel a bit below. They're not going to shell out any more than $6-8 million for Kendrys Morales based on his aging and performance last season with the Twins and M's.

At any rate, I don't see how they can make all their fixes this offseason without going well over budget, which most are projecting at around $90 rather than $100 million, based on attendance/overall revenues/diminished ratings from Comcast/lost sponsorships, etc.

They could PERHAPS jump that high, but only for the right players at the right prices, and that's unlikely in the FA market. Not without trading Ramirez, Danks (which means taking back another bad contract, or adding more payroll ostensibly) or one of our better prospects (Montas, Danish, Hawkins or Anderson).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
I like Melky too but if trhe Sox refuse to go 5 years they probably don't get him which means a much less talented list of FA's left to sign. There's still Saunders who can be traded for especialy if it's the Mariners who sign Melky.

I think Rasmus would be much better off just being one of the guyts rather then "The" guy he was always supposed to be. Still rather have Melky and Rasmus or Melky and Saunders than Melky and LaRoche even if it means Rasmus trying to re-establish his value on a short term deal. LaRoche has been consistent but not sure I trust Robin to bench him against LH's and he is 35.

I value 4 good OF's being fresh playing DH or sitting out a day per week as a way to keep them healthy and productive. Rasmus would benefit greatly from that since he might be more like Eaton in that the daily grind in CF is just too much to handle. At this point Rasmus should be a corner OF where I think his defense will be much better but can also play CF to rest Eaton. He wouldn't be the 1st athelete that needs to be coddled and appreciated rather than blamed for everything. LaRoche just doesn't do it for me as far as age and overall team versatilty . Rasmus and Cabrera are youngerish vets who fit better with the core.

If Melky signs elsewhere you know the next articles we see will be " Sox interested in Colby Rasmus. " How far down the FA agent list will the Sox have to go before they actually sign someone who has any amount of talent and upside ? Sox have interest in VMart, Sox have interest in Sandoval, Sox have interest in Miller, LaRoche etc etc until we're settling for scraps once again and the compete year is pushed back to 2017 .

The only bit of light I'm still capable of seeing is the Sox getting a good piece or 2 for Alexei and some, if not most, of this website will be saying "well ,there goes competing for 2015 down the tubes."

Pretty much agreed.

This is where you have to look at remaining asset allocation.

I'd prefer to trade Viciedo (since he's not going to improve with us at this point) for Saunders, bring in Rasmus and sign Morse for DH.

That gives you two younger players who have underperformed expectations but have upside and a solid/experienced veteran bat in Morse to solidify the middle of the order and take some of the pressure off Avisail. Same with Rasmus. And you just don't want to go into the season without a decent fix for a possible Eaton injury again.

With Rasmus, you don't have to surrender that 2nd round pick that turned into one our more exciting prospects in Adams. I could be misreading things, but Cabrera at $48 million for 3 years or $60 million for 4 just isn't enticing enough because of the PEDs, his so-so defense, erratic results (and sure, Rasmus has been equally inconsistent), in general being leery about overpaying another veteran who could quickly decline and the fact that main reason we're chasing him is that he hits LH.

If the main reason is that you could feel confident putting Cabrera behind Abreu in the line-up...that's not enough.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
you can spin it anyway you want. its is all there. esp his problems in Tor. that was according

to his father Tonly LaRussa fault????

get real.

i am done

What's with you thinking I'm spinning things . You didn't give me what I asked for . The only thing I can find about coaches is that he really liked Chad Mottola a lot but they fired him and he didn't have quite the same relationship with Kevin Seitzer and I didn't get that from anything you sent me.

The first 2 articles were from 2011 regarding LaRussa and the last one was Colby's dad rehashing what happened in St. Louis . Those are facts not me distorting or spinning the facts.

The 3rd article said this about his time in Toronto :

Rasmus has endured a volatile tenure with the Blue Jays, and the impending free agent has struggled through much of the 2014 campaign. The 27-year-old missed time earlier this season with a hamstring injury, and is hitting .219/.281/.441 (97 OPS+) with 14 home runs and a 32 percent strikeout rate through 75 games.

That's it nothing else about any other problem with coaches. Isn't that what I asked for or are you spinning your own version here ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside