Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
My understanding is that they're trying to position themselves to compete for many years. It will be interesting to see how rents comport with that...unless they are confident that they can get extensions without them hitting the open market (which I have seen only once, and that was Garcia who had an in house connection).

I still don't see why you think this is such an out there thing to do....I'm sure there's other examples....And I'm sure we'll see another example with Heyward and the Cards. I doubt they traded a guy like Shelby Miller who could be a front of the rotation guy for 1 year of Heyward.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 11:54 PM)
Id keep an eye on one of those guys that are free agents next year as well. There are a few that fit with what they are trying to do.

Im not sure there is much of interest in next years crop that fit the plan besides Upton and Zimmerman IMO.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 05:45 PM)
While I think Alexei is a valuable asset to the sox(and not really that expensive), it would be foolish to not listen to offers. Especially if LAD offers mad cash in conjunction with a major leaguer.

i think that is what the whole thread is about.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
I'd be extremely happy if they picked up Jordan Zimmerman from Washington. Since coming back from TJ surgery he has been extremely consistent.

Sale

Q

Zimm

Rodon

Noesi

That would be filthy

Good bye all prospects of note

For what it's worth Buster Onley ranked the top 10 SS's in baseball in an insider article today. http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/post?id=8669

According to the article he ranked them...."Through conversations with team evaluators, general managers and our own statistical analysts" to come up with this list.

The list...and I'll put a breif synopsis of why each guy is ranked where they are according to Buster

1. Simmons- Basically he's by far the best defensive SS in the game is still young and fairly cheap.

2. Peralta- He's top 5 in both OPS and defensive runs saved among SS's the past 3 years.

3. Desmond- His combo of speed and power makes him a "dynamic" player

4. Tulo- If it wasn't for injuries he would be clear cut #1

5. Hardy- GG defense and 20 HR power make him one of the best

6. Crawford- Didn't say much....just that he's consistent and saves runs on D

7. Aybar- Consistent hitter who puts the ball in play and doesn't K

8. Alexei- (copy and pasted whole excerpt) He has some value in the trade market (see below). Justin Havens of ESPN Stats & Info sent along this note about his defense and offense: “He may be slipping defensively, at least as measured by defensive runs saved -- he’s gone from +14 to +1 to -4 since 2012. Also, through the end of May, he was hitting .329 with a .479 slugging percentage; after that, he hit .243 with a .370 slugging over a span of 423 plate appearances."

9. Escobar- Likened him to Hardy...consistent all around

10. Castro- shows flashes but his D is bad and isn't consistent enough

Well there it is....feel free to pick it apart. And remember to save all rude comments for Buser Olney. I'm just the messenger.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
For what it's worth Buster Onley ranked the top 10 SS's in baseball in an insider article today. http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/post?id=8669

According to the article he ranked them...."Through conversations with team evaluators, general managers and our own statistical analysts" to come up with this list.

The list...and I'll put a breif synopsis of why each guy is ranked where they are according to Buster

1. Simmons- Basically he's by far the best defensive SS in the game is still young and fairly cheap.

2. Peralta- He's top 5 in both OPS and defensive runs saved among SS's the past 3 years.

8. Alexei- (copy and pasted whole excerpt) He has some value in the trade market (see below). Justin Havens of ESPN Stats & Info sent along this note about his defense and offense: “He may be slipping defensively, at least as measured by defensive runs saved -- he’s gone from +14 to +1 to -4 since 2012. Also, through the end of May, he was hitting .329 with a .479 slugging percentage; after that, he hit .243 with a .370 slugging over a span of 423 plate appearances."

Well there it is....feel free to pick it apart. And remember to save all rude comments for Buser Olney. I'm just the messenger.

Jhonny Peralta is the 2nd best SS?? Haha ok Buster

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
everything on this front seems to have died down. anyone heard anything?

The Oklahoma native Song Bird likes to clean it's young hatchlings by brushing s*** all over its feathers. Specifically, this ritualistic event takes place in the winter months and blood stained s*** is commonly refered to as the best available s*** for cleaning purposes. One should note that the Oklahoma Song Bird is eight feet high when standing on its hind legs. Residents living around their nests have been warned by the CDC to wear hasmat suits while outside.

I agree with him.

That's why, with Semien in tow, it would be nice to trade Lexi before his value falls off the cliff. Don't think Hahn doesn't know it, either.

Edited by Andy the Clown

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 09:27 PM)
The Oklahoma native Song Bird likes to clean it's young hatchlings by brushing s*** all over its feathers. Specifically, this ritualistic event takes place in the winter months and blood stained s*** is commonly refered to as the best available s*** for cleaning purposes. One should note that the Oklahoma Song Bird is eight feet high when standing on its hind legs. Residents living around their nests have been warned by the CDC to wear hasmat suits while outside.

and i had to ask :crying

Like, I get that Simmons is good and Tulowitzski is injury prone and all that. I mean, I really, really do. But if I had any of those shortstops, and you offered me Tulowitzski for them, I am snatching him up in a New York minute.

Tulo is easily the best shortstop in the game right now and it's not even a question.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
I agree with him.

That's why, with Semien in tow, it would be nice to trade Lexi before his value falls off the clip. Don't think Hahn doesn't know it, either.

And he will. It doesn't mean he has to deal him.

I did notice the offensive point as the year was going on for alexei. He hit .300 through abut the end of June and just fell off. He pretty much had 3 good months and 3 crappy months. Hit .342 in april, .305 may, .230 june, .235 july, .291 august, and .209 in September.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
And he will. It doesn't mean he has to deal him.

Sooo what's the alternative? You let him play out his contract and watch him decline like all SS's do in their 30's and watch him walk?

Honest question....is it a sentimental thing with Alexei? He's been here for a while so people don't want to see him go? Or is it that people think we are gong to compete next year?

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
Sooo what's the alternative? You let him play out his contract and watch him decline like all SS's do in their 30's and watch him walk?

Honest question....is it a sentimental thing with Alexei? He's been here for a while so people don't want to see him go? Or is it that people think we are gong to compete next year?

People, in general, aren't good at conceptualizing the difference between what a guy has been versus what he will be going forward.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)

It's that he's still a good shortstop and it's not out of the realm of possibility for the White Sox to be a competitive team next year. Alexei Ramirez can be apart of that. There are also no real good alternatives behind him on the depth chart. As such, the White Sox have no internal motivation to trade Alexei Ramirez. However, because he is older, the Sox should explore the idea of trading him, and if someone matches their asking price, you really can't say no at this point.

Ideally, the Sox would get some value via trade out of Alexei, but if he plays 2 more years and then leaves as a free agent, that's really not a bad thing at all.