Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
I agree wholeheartedly. In my mind, I think the best - and possibly only - deal for Alexei would be with the Mets, and only for Zach Wheeler. That would give us a young cost controlled RH starting pitcher, would also allow us to chase either Headley or Melky, and would allow us to add a closer, or even go after Shields. How about a rotation of Sale, Shields, Quintana, Wheeler and Danks (unless we could move him for Papelbon!)?

Everything looks awesome except James Shields. If they got Wheeler for Alexei, they'd use Danks and Noesi as the 4th and 5th starters to begin the year with Rodon waiting in the wings whenever the organization deems he's ready.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
And let's also not forget that the Dodgers just lost an important player on the left side of their infield with Ramirez going to Boston. It could put a little more pressure on them to bid up for Alexei.

Not necessarily. It depends what the Red Sox plan w Ramierez. If they think he can play SS for a few years, they could be taking offers on Bogaerts . Then Alexei may take a step down in value.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
There is no way, IMO, that the Dodgers are going to trade Pederson or Seager without getting some salary relief in the form of one of the high-priced veteran outfielders, probably Ethier. So, if there is a "package", it would possibly be Etheir and Pederson or Seager.

Ethier and Pederson won't happen because the Sox have the DH spot filled with the signing of LaRoche so there's no way to have Pederson, Avi, Eaton and Ethier in the same lineup and all four should be starting every day. Assuming Pederson is ready which I believe he is.

A package of Ethier and Seager makes more sense though if the Sox feel one of their middle infielders can play a decent SS but that's a big if.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 06:57 AM)
(Juan Diaz Stuff)

Just so we can get this stuff in the open-

In 9 seasons in the minors leagues: .259/.314/.371/.685, 3936 plate appearances

Juan Diaz is minor league filler. If he has anything more than 100 plate appearances for the White Sox, they're screwed.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
Why does this point still have to be made? Juan Diaz is irrelevant.

It shouldn't and yes he is unless the Sox are hit by the deepest of injuries. It'd be sweet if they found their JD Martinez, but I feel safe saying no, that's not going to happen.

The Dodgers are NOT trading Corey Seager. This would be like the White Sox trading Tim Anderson for 2 years of Alexei Ramirez if he weren't already on the team.

The Dodgers want a stopgap player until Seager is ready for MLB, trading Seager for a stopgap veteran makes exactly ZERO sense.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
The Dodgers are NOT trading Corey Seager. This would be like the White Sox trading Tim Anderson for 2 years of Alexei Ramirez if he weren't already on the team.

The Dodgers want a stopgap player until Seager is ready for MLB, trading Seager for a stopgap veteran makes exactly ZERO sense.

That's assuming Seager can play SS at the MLB level. We can safely do that for now.

Yeah, I don't see any way that Alexei Ramirez ends up in LA.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)

If the White Sox were a team that had just won a division and made the playoffs 2 years in a row and lost a key part of their infield to free agency, then Tim Anderson for 2 years of Alexei Ramirez would sound pretty decent to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
If the White Sox were a team that had just won a division and made the playoffs 2 years in a row and lost a key part of their infield to free agency, then Tim Anderson for 2 years of Alexei Ramirez would sound pretty decent to me.

Or you could just give money, acquire a slightly inferior player in Asdrubal Cabrera or Stephen Drew, and keep your prospect of the future.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)
Or you could just give money, acquire a slightly inferior player in Asdrubal Cabrera or Stephen Drew, and keep your prospect of the future.

And if the Dodgers are willing to let their playoff hopes next year ride on those 2 guys, I say more power to them.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 09:21 PM)

they the Dodgers got this huge TV deal and they want to field a team now. a team

who can make the playoff and possible win it. with their money, they could dive into

the free agent market next yr or the yr after to get their missing positional player.

if not they have a player name Sweeney who can be a temp until something develops.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
And if the Dodgers are willing to let their playoff hopes next year ride on those 2 guys, I say more power to them.

They clinched a playoff spot by 12 games and the division by 6 games (and the 2nd place finisher, who won the World Series, also happened to lose a 3+ WAR player to the Boston Red Sox, so those cancel each other out to some extent).

I think they'll be OK.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 09:35 PM)

I read today, the reason why some teams are passing on Drew is that his offensive

numbers have been unsteady. that is the best summation I can do.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
I read today, the reason why some teams are passing on Drew is that his offensive

numbers have been unsteady. that is the best summation I can do.

He was terrible last year and if the Sox did trade Alexei, he'd be a really nice buy low option for the Sox. He's only a year removed from being a 3.5 WAR player, but he has been an inconsistent player throughout the course of his career.

You'd only want to sign him for a year and he'd only want to sign for a year too.

On Stephen Drew

Stephen Drew had a .237 OBP in 2014. That ranks as the 15th-worst single-season OBP by a 2B since 1914 (300 plate appearances min.).

https://twitter.com/BtBScore/status/535302550778413057

Stephen Drew regarded one of best free agent shortstops, but his numbers since 2011 season lend pause: 1,000 at-bats, 220 hits. https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/537606668318961664

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
On Stephen Drew

Stephen Drew had a .237 OBP in 2014. That ranks as the 15th-worst single-season OBP by a 2B since 1914 (300 plate appearances min.).

https://twitter.com/BtBScore/status/535302550778413057

Stephen Drew regarded one of best free agent shortstops, but his numbers since 2011 season lend pause: 1,000 at-bats, 220 hits. https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/537606668318961664

In 2013, Stephen Drew had a 3.4 WAR for the Boston Red Sox. During that season, he hit the ball fairly well, drew his fair share of walks, and hit for power. He's a good defensive player and a guy who can hold his own at the plate. As a buy low option, he's perfectly acceptable.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 10:55 PM)
In 2013, Stephen Drew had a 3.4 WAR for the Boston Red Sox. During that season, he hit the ball fairly well, drew his fair share of walks, and hit for power. He's a good defensive player and a guy who can hold his own at the plate. As a buy low option, he's perfectly acceptable.

as I said before, I will never dispute yous guys with the stats.

but for the sox, maybe, but the dodgers seems to want a better steadier

player at SS.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)

The Dodgers are in win now mode. Inthinkbthwy can part with a prospect if it helps them go over the hump in the postseason. Alexi helps them in that regard.

For the record, I'm not disagreeing with what you guys are saying, but it's a hell of a lot harder to justify trading those insanely talented prospects for a shortstop when the rest of their team is still very good. I'm not saying they won't, and I'm not saying the Sox shouldn't ask for those guys. What I am saying is that I think there will be other shortstops available, either through free agency or available via trade, that will cost them less and will replicate similar numbers to Alexei Ramirez.

If the Dodgers offered, hypothetically here, Zach Lee to the Twins for Eduardo Escobar, with the Twins girth of offensive prospects and a guy like Danny Santana who is also capable of playing shortstop, do you think the Twins are in a position to turn that down? Maybe they negotiate the price up a bit, but then the Dodgers have a control of the player for a lot longer, don't pay as much, and have a similar though inferior player without giving up one of their top prospects.

That is primarily why I don't see any way a deal is worked out between the Dodgers and the Sox that involves Alexei Ramirez. His value to the Sox right now is too great. They are on the verge of competing and dealing your starting shortstop for a package of prospects just doesn't seem to be the best use of resources. If you get the right player, you make it in a second and ask questions later, but I don't foresee that as a possibility.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 11:20 PM)
For the record, I'm not disagreeing with what you guys are saying, but it's a hell of a lot harder to justify trading those insanely talented prospects for a shortstop when the rest of their team is still very good. I'm not saying they won't, and I'm not saying the Sox shouldn't ask for those guys. What I am saying is that I think there will be other shortstops available, either through free agency or available via trade, that will cost them less and will replicate similar numbers to Alexei Ramirez.

If the Dodgers offered, hypothetically here, Zach Lee to the Twins for Eduardo Escobar, with the Twins girth of offensive prospects and a guy like Danny Santana who is also capable of playing shortstop, do you think the Twins are in a position to turn that down? Maybe they negotiate the price up a bit, but then the Dodgers have a control of the player for a lot longer, don't pay as much, and have a similar though inferior player without giving up one of their top prospects.

That is primarily why I don't see any way a deal is worked out between the Dodgers and the Sox that involves Alexei Ramirez. His value to the Sox right now is too great. They are on the verge of competing and dealing your starting shortstop for a package of prospects just doesn't seem to be the best use of resources. If you get the right player, you make it in a second and ask questions later, but I don't foresee that as a possibility.

a great informative post. good work.

now, my only counter or addition is they were talking about a pkg for the sox

to be entice, so I am assuming that one of the other players will be one of their

heavy laden contracts that is choking them.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 06:20 PM)

I buy all of this except for "it's harder to justify....when the restive their team is still very good". I think that's exactly the time you make that type of aggressive move to fill in the gap in your roster with the best player available. It makes a helluva lot more sense for the Dodgers to trade a top flight prospect for a player to fill a hole than it does for the White Sox to do it because that guy who can contribute right now may well put them over the top when the prospect's peak is probably several years away.

yes, the Dodgers can make moves that fill the void without giving up their top flight guys, and if they're convinced they're sitting on the next 4 rookies of the year again that's exactly what they should do, but ask yourself this question; how much are you willing to risk on missing the playoffs by 1 game?