White Sox sign Zach Duke, 3 years, $15 million

oneofthemikes

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
Anyone think they may have something else to announce later as well? What's the point of waiting to announce it?

Finalizing fine print, getting a jersey with his name on it ready, taking a quick physical, getting the room set up for a press conference, allowing time for media personnel to get there. There could be a zillion reasons logical or ridiculous.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
I'm surprised by the third year, but if he can repeat his success from last year, it's not a bad contract at all.

Yeah I guess it's the going rate for being left-handed and being decent. I don't mind the AAV, just the third year. But he's relatively young and lots of former starters figure out and have long, effective bullpen careers.

Had to be done, there's no way we could go into next year without adding another bullpen lefty and have any hope of a tolerable pen and this is the price you pay for a tolerable lefty on the FA market right now, like it or not.

Let's just hope they've done better homework with this signing than they did with Downs.

Duke's splits as a reliever only...129 IP, 3.28 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, Opponents BA .249, 2.74 K/BB, 73.3 LOB%

He'll be a good addition....as long as the contract isn't crazy. But I trust Hahn enough for him to do anything stupid on a guy like Duke.

Edit: Just saw the contract and its not a great deal necessarily but nothing to complain about either. Not bad at all

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

Ya I have a hard time getting angry about the 3rd year, if we have to eat 5.5 mill then oh well. That said, definitely a bit of an overpay but as others have said we were going to have to spend a little money on the pen and I'd rather go with Duke for 15 total than Miller for 40(if he gets around there of course).

I just hope that whatever he did last year is sustainable. I mean you want to talk about an outlier...

I know they aren't related at all, but I think I have some irrational worry leftover from the very, very similar Keppinger deal, who was also coming off of a strange, late-career breakout.

Overall, I'm into it. We needed a lefty who has some idea how to pitch, and we got him for $5m per year. Fine.