White Sox have checked in on Adam LaRoche

Baron

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
Where "White Sox have interest in Andrew Miller" made me roll my eyes, "White Sox have interest in Adam LaRoche" makes me think it makes a lot of sense. Everything I have head is him being a January type signing so I hope his market doesn't heat up quickly. The team should be keeping all options open for a young, impact bat and then add a LaRoche type after that guy is acquired.

I agree with so much of this post it's unreasonable.

162 Game Averages (Sorry if the spacing is a tad bit off)

G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP

162 641 566 78 149 35 1 27 92 1 1 66 140 .264 .340 .472 .811 114 267 13 - Adam L.

162 674 557 89 132 27 1 37 95 5 2 107 193 .237 .364 .490 .854 123 273 8 - Adam D.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 06:02 PM)
Where "White Sox have interest in Andrew Miller" made me roll my eyes, "White Sox have interest in Adam LaRoche" makes me think it makes a lot of sense. Everything I have head is him being a January type signing so I hope his market doesn't heat up quickly. The team should be keeping all options open for a young, impact bat and then add a LaRoche type after that guy is acquired.

Yep.

There are many reasons not to like this:

1) He just turned 35. He's coming off of a season (one of his better ones) when he slugged .455. How well do you think his slugging percentage will age? Steamer has him projected for .431 next year.

2) He basically doesn't have a defensive position, and would clog up the DH slot.

3) He has a projected offensive WAR of 6.5 next year. From a guy with only one skill, that is unacceptable.

We like him because he's...left handed? Who cares? Let's get some good players in here, regardless of handedness. This would be just another cheap, second rate post-prime pickup that we grew to expect from KW over the years.

Edited by Andy the Clown

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:56 PM)
There are many reasons not to like this:

1) He just turned 35. He's coming off of a season (one of his better ones) when he slugged .455. How well do you think his slugging percentage will age? Steamer has him projected for .431 next year.

2) He basically doesn't have a defensive position, and would clog up the DH slot.

3) He has a projected offensive WAR of 6.5 next year. From a guy with only one skill, that is unacceptable.

We like him because he's...left handed? Who cares? Let's get some good players in here, regardless of handedness. This would be just another cheap, second rate post-prime pickup that we grew to expect from KW over the years.

I think we'll have a hard time getting the two corner OFs we really need to do the lineup right. This is a nice, short-term backup plan, IMO. If it comes at more than 2/25 though, I'd walk.

I'm not against signing him, I would prefer Morales even with his down year because he'll be cheaper but both of these players markets I would assume will be slow to develop. That should allow Hahn to check in on all of the recent cuban defectors that should be cleared by the OFAC in the not too distant future as well as Maeda provided he gets posted.

QUOTE (beautox @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 03:04 AM)
I'm not against signing him, I would prefer Morales even with his down year because he'll be cheaper but both of these players markets I would assume will be slow to develop. That should allow Hahn to check in on all of the recent cuban defectors that should be cleared by the OFAC in the not too distant future as well as Maeda provided he gets posted.

The problem is that none of those Cubans are going to give us the impact offensively that will justify Abreu +++ money.

Tomas, it just doesn't fit.

Moncada would be perfect, if we didn't need to allocate that money over these next two offseasons in order to have a contender out of the gate in 2016.

He's a luxury/gamble that about 6-8 big market teams can take right now, and the White Sox aren't one of them...not with their current broadcast rights deal. It's going to be a case of the rich getting richer, unfortunately.

QUOTE (beautox @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)

I was in on Morales in a big way, this was before Hahn made the mention of the Sox

could compete and the sox paying for talent. this doesn't really make sense in how

I am trying to compose this.

the point is while I like the gamble of getting Morales and dealing with his agent, will

he be the best option here. this is a gamble in many ways for some savings and a seeing

if he can rebound.

I will need to see if the sox address the sp / rp.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
The problem is that none of those Cubans are going to give us the impact offensively that will justify Abreu +++ money.

Moncada would be perfect, if we didn't need to allocate that money over these next two offseasons in order to have a contender out of the gate in 2016.

He's a luxury/gamble that about 6-8 big market teams can take right now, and the White Sox aren't one of them...not with their current broadcast rights deal. It's going to be a case of the rich getting richer, unfortunately.

while fans are just assuming everything from a limited source of a scouting report, we has fan

do not have the luxury of really seeing him nor reading a full scouting rpt.

no one would have guess the success of Jose A. so with every Jose A the downside will be DV

kind of growth.

doesn't this kind success seems resemble the success of a drafted player?

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 03:32 AM)

I agree that none of the cubans outside of possibly Jose Fernandez will have an immediate big league impact and that Tomas isn't what Hahn wants for this club. '15 is our dark horse year if things come together and we're a year ahead of the time line great, if not no big deal we weren't supposed to be ready yet.

I think Moncada would be perfect as well and lines up nicely with the perceived future of this franchise. Both Moncada and Anderson should be ready by opening day '16 if not both a potential call up in september. If the sox don't go big this offseason they would be well served going all in for Moncada and possibly Fernandez, the only impact bats next year on the right side of 30 are Justin Upton (right handed) and Jason Heyward and both are going to cost a ton. I honestly think Hahn will do more than kick the tires on Moncada and Fernandez this year. 100+Mil for Panda doesn't seem very palpable. Our '16 core could be a bright spot for a long time to come.

DH -?

C - ?

1B - Abreu RH

2B - Fernandez LH / Semien RH / Sanchez SH / Johnson LH

SS - Anderson RH

3B - Moncada SH

LF - Garcia RH

CF - Eaton LH

RF - ?

SP - Sale

SP - Quintana

SP - Rodon

SP - Montas / Danish / Adams / Noesi / FA

SP - Montas / Danish / Adams / Noesi

Edited by beautox

QUOTE (beautox @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
I agree that none of the cubans outside of possibly Jose Fernandez will have an immediate big league impact and

that Tomas isn't what Hahn wants for this club. '15 is our dark horse year if things come together and we're a year ahead of the time line great, if not no big deal we weren't supposed to be ready yet.

I think Moncada would be perfect as well and lines up nicely with the perceived future of this franchise. Both Moncada and Anderson should be ready by opening day '16 if not both a potential call up in september. If the sox don't go big this offseason they would be well served going all in for Moncada and possibly Fernandez, the only impact bats next year on the right side of 30 are Justin Upton (right handed) and Jason Heyward and both are going to cost a ton. I honestly think Hahn will do more than kick the tires on Moncada and Fernandez this year. 100+Mil for Panda doesn't seem very palpable. Our '16 core could be a bright spot for a long time to come.

DH -?

C - ?

1B - Abreu RH

2B - Fernandez LH / Semien RH / Sanchez SH / Johnson LH

SS - Anderson RH

3B - Moncada SH

LF - Garcia RH

CF - Eaton LH

RF - ?

SP - Sale

SP - Quintana

SP - Rodon

SP - Montas / Danish / Adams / Noesi / FA

SP - Montas / Danish / Adams / Noesi

I could see that you really thought a lot for this post. very nice.

there are a couple of problems I see, no knows what the sox intentions are with Tomas. however

this is a forum where fans can post what on their mind and as I said you really did a nice job.

Second is Jose Fernandez. I hope he emerge from where ever he is and comes out healthy. reading

more on Jose A and Puig escape, those who are using the smugglers, this is a dangerous

trip.

so when he show up, he will need to get posted and all that.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 07:36 AM)
I could see that you really thought a lot for this post. very nice.

there are a couple of problems I see, no knows what the sox intentions are with Tomas. however

this is a forum where fans can post what on their mind and as I said you really did a nice job.

Second is Jose Fernandez. I hope he emerge from where ever he is and comes out healthy. reading

more on Jose A and Puig escape, those who are using the smugglers, this is a dangerous

trip.

so when he show up, he will need to get posted and all that.

Thanks

Agreed no one knows exactly what the sox intentions are with Tomas, but Hahn has said numerous times that they want a young, left handed power bat for the outfield.

Yeah I hope Fernandez comes out unscathed as well once he is cleared i feel alot of the market will have dropped one way or another and the sox are able to wait because they have three in house options for second base outside of Fernandez, where as other teams are going to need to figure out what the hell they're doing in signing the likes of lowrie and cabrera.

QUOTE (beautox @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
Thanks

Agreed no one knows exactly what the sox intentions are with Tomas, but Hahn has said numerous times that they want a young, left handed power bat for the outfield.

Yeah I hope Fernandez comes out unscathed as well once he is cleared i feel alot of the market will have dropped one way or another and the sox are able to wait because they have three in house options for second base outside of Fernandez, where as other teams are going to need to figure out what the hell they're doing in signing the likes of lowrie and cabrera.

those comments from Hahn may have change with other fa's signing. I am looking at the reevaluation

of those wishes and address them accordingly. if Tomas is the best options, then the sox will need to

address lh hitting for the DH.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
Really want LaRoche, I would sign him to a one year deal with an option for a second. He would really upgrade the team's defense, and he is a left handed bat.

The fug? He's only -122 runs for his career in the field. He's 35. He's a DH. Not a very good one at that. Pass, pass, pass.