White Sox have checked in on Adam LaRoche

Baron

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)
Really want LaRoche, I would sign him to a one year deal with an option for a second. He would really upgrade the team's defense, and he is a left handed bat.

Laroche isn't good defensively.

Looks like Dunn to me...Lots of Ks, not as many homers or walks, bit better batting average, older (than when we had dunn)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm not very excited at the idea of LaRoche. As a fallback plan fine, but I really hate the idea of going multiple years with him. Obviously he had a very nice 2014, but how much longer will he be productive with the bat? He's already a platoon guy with no defensive versatility. It doesn't take much of a decline with the bat to make him essentially valueless.

Yeah, I disagree that this is a guy that the Sox should look at this early. They need to explore a lot of other options and if LaRoche ends up signing elsewhere between now and then, so be it. However, if he's available come about January 15th and the Sox could use an extra bat, I have no problem giving him $8-10 million his way on a 1 year deal. There's no way I'd give him 2 years guaranteed, but an option of some type is definitely possible for a second year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
Yeah, I disagree that this is a guy that the Sox should look at this early. They need to explore a lot of other options and if LaRoche ends up signing elsewhere between now and then, so be it. However, if he's available come about January 15th and the Sox could use an extra bat, I have no problem giving him $8-10 million his way on a 1 year deal. There's no way I'd give him 2 years guaranteed, but an option of some type is definitely possible for a second year.

I would wait to sign him as well and he fills a position of need. And Adam LaRoache is a good defensive player, he won a gold glove in 2013, and if I remember correctly I think that he was a finalist this year too.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 08:59 PM)
And the bidding starts with 2/20M.

I think LaRoche ends up with more but someone has to make the first bid.

Let the Marlins have him. In the NL? He'll be a negative WAR player. Awful deal for the Marlines, might as well have thrown 30 million at Butler if that's what LaRoche gets.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 10:07 PM)
Let the Marlins have him. In the NL? He'll be a negative WAR player. Awful deal for the Marlines, might as well have thrown 30 million at Butler if that's what LaRoche gets.

Last I checked, the Nationals are in the NL. I doubt LaRoche will go from a 1.5 WAR player to a negative WAR player that quickly.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 10:07 PM)

I don't mind the idea of LaRoche but think there's better options/ideas out there that should be explored first.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
Such as....?

for me. and i am interjecting here, i really like any 3 of the catchers

from Oak. they all can play 1b, dh and of course catching.

1 of them can play 3 b and the other can also play the OF. they are

cost control. the thing is, if Oak was needing some young pitchers, and

are incline to trade, would they be interested.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)

If we had any...

We're unlikely to trade Montas or Danish for those guys, and the A's aren't ever going to rely on the likes of Noesi/Carroll/Beck/Bassit/Rienzo, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
If we had any...

We're unlikely to trade Montas or Danish for those guys, and the A's aren't ever going to rely on the likes of Noesi/Carroll/Beck/Bassit/Rienzo, etc.

i just don't know, if the sox were to pkg Danish, Beck and Rienzo, will that

do it?

i know i am being unrealistic here. but who knows.

Jaso has one year before he becomes a FA.

Derek Norris, they're not going to trade him away.

I also don't think they would part with Vogt so easily, either.

So you're basically renting Jason for one season to be part of a platoon with Flowers, then you probably lose him to free agency.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)

Vogt is the only one to play any time at first. Norris only played there once in his career and jaso only twice. Figure jaso and Norris are primary catchers with vogt backing them up and at first would have to imagine pretty hard to pry one lose.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
Vogt is the only one to play any time at first. Norris only played there once in his career and jaso only twice. Figure jaso and Norris are primary catchers with vogt backing them up and at first would have to imagine pretty hard to pry one lose.

They also have Freiman for 1B.

Seem pretty set...except for the back-end of their rotation...and they replaced Cespedes bat (finally) with Butler, at least in their minds.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
They probably still need a shortstop

They're very unlikely to trade Norris, and Vogt or Jaso isn't the type of return we'd be looking for on Alexei.

If they're willing to trade Josh Reddick AND Vogt or Jaso for Ramirez, then it becomes at least a more interesting discussion.

I could see Reddick/Jaso as the offer. Not including Norris and probably not Vogt since they control his rights for a long time.

Edited by caulfield12