Rodon's Role In 2015

Jose Abreu

What would you like Rodon to be in 2015?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like Rodon to be in 2015?

• Begin with Sox as starter
    • Begin with Sox as reliever
    • Stay a starter in minors to develop
    • Start in minors with a call-up once his Super-2 passes
    • Start in minors with a September call-up

Now that we have Zach Duke signed as a LHRP, what do you think Carlos Rodon should do next season? I feel like he could benefit from a reliever role like Sale did, but I know that some of you would want him to start or stay in the minors. What do you think?

(Edit- new, clearer poll)

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
Now that we have Zach Duke signed as a LHRP, what do you think Carlos Rodon should do next season? I feel like he would benefit from a reliever role like Sale did, but I know that some of you would want him to start or stay in the minors. What do you think?

He may not be brought up until June (if that means his free agency clock is pushed out for another season), but whenever he is on the roster, I expect that he'll start off as a #4 or #5 starter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
If it were up to me, he would start at Birmingham and go from there.

I agree with this. I'm pretty sure he'll be starting for the White Sox at some point in June though for sure. Rodon pitching out of the bullpen is a terrible idea.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
I think it depends on Danks this off season. If the Sox somehow manage to trade Danks and Rodon performs well in ST, then I think he will be the #4-5 starter.

If not, he starts in AA or AAA.

I don't think there is any way that Rodon starts with the major league club because of service time.

I would start Carlos at Charlotte to have him work on pitch location as well as work on the change up some more. IMO, its important to build up innings in his arm in 2015 to have him ready to contribute in the rotation for a contending 2016 team so the bullpen is not an option. If he has to stay at Charlotte, fine with me, just keep him as a starter to build up the endurance.

He should start in the minors. I actually think Charlotte makes more sense as a place to refine his breaking and other offspeed stuff, but either Charlotte or Birmingham is fine. He pitches there for a month and if he looks ready, you call him up.

Basically, even in the most fortunate of scenarios for Rodon, he's going to end up getting like 6 mill more over a 6 year period of time if he's a Super 2 player. Still, it may be a way of increasing his load while keeping him pitching on a good limit - perhaps limit him to 3 or 4 innings, or 70 pitches initially, work it up to 5 or 6 innings, or 90 pitches, and then ratchet it up to 100+ pitches for a couple starts before he comes up.

So, of these options, the best one is "starter" but that's with qualifiers.

Start him at Charlotte with a plan on an ~ June ish callup.

The only way he pitches out of the bullpen at all this season is if the team without him goes on a run and wins 92 games, where he can stay at Charlotte most of the year, throw 170 innings there, and become a september callup in the David Price role.

Despite wanting him in AAA, I voted starter to emphasize he should not be in the bullpen.

Starter only. Birmingham's park is bigger than Charlotte's, correct? Giving him 5-6 starts in Birmingham probably would be a good idea, then another 8-10 starts in Charlotte, and then go from there.

I hope it never comes to him being a reliever, but if it means the other five starters are doing well, and the pen has a need, you never know.

Do whatever, just as long as he's ready to make 32 starts and go 190 innings in 2016.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
Anyone else look back at Sale being in the pen in 2011 as a colossal waste of his talent?

A lot of the reasoning behind the decision was that Will Ohman was our primary LHRP, so that needed to be fixed. We already had Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Peavy, and Humber/Jackson in the rotation. So I think you could make the argument for Sale starting over Humber, and if not, Sale definitely should've gotten most of the 11 starts given to Zach Stewart and Dylan Axelrod.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
Poll is back and hopefully easier to understand.

Good deal.

I voted for the middle option. Stay in the minors as a starter. I'm sure the Sox will call him up when hes ready and there's a hole so I'm not at all concerned with a time frame for his call up.