Rodon's Role In 2015

Jose Abreu

What would you like Rodon to be in 2015?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like Rodon to be in 2015?

• Begin with Sox as starter
    • Begin with Sox as reliever
    • Stay a starter in minors to develop
    • Start in minors with a call-up once his Super-2 passes
    • Start in minors with a September call-up

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
Rodon should be a starting pitcher with the Sox the moment that he is one of the five best starting pitchers available, regardless of whether that's April 1, June 1, or September 1.

Disagree. When you hire Scott Boras, that thinking goes out the window. Your idea does a disservice to the franchise.

He should unquestionably start the year off in the minors, no matter how well he does during ST.

It only takes a couple weeks down there to guarantee a seventh year of control. However, as wite mentions frequently, the benefit of avoiding Super Two isn't high enough to justify the cost of waiting half the season if he's really ready.

Even if he's the best pitcher on our staff come April 1, he shouldn't be on the 25 man roster until April 20.

EDIT: Also, he should absolutely be starting, not relieving. He should not be a bullpen option at any level until the day it is decided that he cannot be an effective starting pitcher.

Edited by Eminor3rd

I'd start him off in Charlotte getting starts. Gives you a little chance to see if your back-end rotation guys are going to implode (and more importantly, which ones) and it gives Rodon some seriously needed experience. He seems great, but he's relatively untested. You don't want to start him in the majors and have him really get beat up.

I wouldn't put him in the bullpen, but I don't absolutely hate the idea. I prefer that to beer vendor. I do think that it's a difficult transition in both directions for a lot of guys, though. The Sox would have to really feel confident that he can adapt to that change in addition to all the other ones he'll be dealing with.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
Anyone else look back at Sale being in the pen in 2011 as a colossal waste of his talent?

We'll never know if it positively or negatively affected his development in any way, but it certainly should NOT be used as evidence that it's a reliable blueprint for transitioning a pitcher into the Majors.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
Nobody should want him to be a reliever. If "beer vendor" was an option, I would hope it would get more votes than reliever.

the percentage of beer vendors that get Tommy John is very high

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
Disagree. When you hire Scott Boras, that thinking goes out the window. Your idea does a disservice to the franchise.

And I'll disagree with you. If the Sox are serious about competing in 2015(which I think they are) and if Rodon is one of the 5 best starters on the roster(I think he is) then he should be on the opening day roster.

And I know that wont be a popular decision around here but if we're looking to win in 2015 then put the best roster out there, worry about 6 years down the road when it's here.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
And I'll disagree with you. If the Sox are serious about competing in 2015(which I think they are) and if Rodon is one of the 5 best starters on the roster(I think he is) then he should be on the opening day roster.

And I know that wont be a popular decision around here but if we're looking to win in 2015 then put the best roster out there, worry about 6 years down the road when it's here.

Your viewpoint is totally fine and I understand it. I'm just never going to agree because of the variables involved. There is no below market extension with this guy. In fact, there will not be an extension at market value. The Super II date doesn't really matter but it's very important to get that 7th year of control. 7th year of control is much more important than 5-6 starts with the 2015 White Sox.

While I would agree if 2 weeks in the minors actually does get the White Sox an extra season of control, it is well worth it especially early when there are some off days and potential postponements. You are talking 2 or 3 starts.

That said, if he does make the Opening Day roster and 6 years from now we are cussing Hahn and KW out for doing it, he will have had a really nice career.

6 years is a long time. JR will be in his mid 80s. I doubt he still would be running the team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
While I would agree if 2 weeks in the minors actually does get the White Sox an extra season of control, it is well worth it especially early when there are some off days and potential postponements. You are talking 2 or 3 starts.

That said, if he does make the Opening Day roster and 6 years from now we are cussing Hahn and KW out for doing it, he will have had a really nice career.

6 years is a long time. JR will be in his mid 80s. I doubt he still would be running the team.

He isn't going to pitch more than 165-175 innings this year so you just need to figure out how the Sox want to use them.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
Rodon should be a starting pitcher with the Sox the moment that he is one of the five best starting pitchers available, regardless of whether that's April 1, June 1, or September 1.

Not with him, his agent, and 0% chance to sign him to a control deal.

And no wasting him on bullpen duty either.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
He isn't going to pitch more than 165-175 innings this year so you just need to figure out how the Sox want to use them.

It is also why you could see certain scenarios where he does end up spending time in the bullpen, as a way to manage his innings.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)
It is also why you could see certain scenarios where he does end up spending time in the bullpen, as a way to manage his innings.

I think they'd find ways to skip a start about every 6 weeks. A typical season will see 32 starts in a year if a pitcher remains healthy. If you figure 6 innings per start on average - and that is an optimistic projection - a pitcher will typically throw 192 innings. If you skip 5 starts at 6 innings a piece, you are already back down to 162 innings, which is well within that range. You can't be afraid of letting him work through a dead arm period, but if he looks like it's catching up to him too quickly, you can just give him a rest.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 06:50 PM)
I think they'd find ways to skip a start about every 6 weeks. A typical season will see 32 starts in a year if a pitcher remains healthy. If you figure 6 innings per start on average - and that is an optimistic projection - a pitcher will typically throw 192 innings. If you skip 5 starts at 6 innings a piece, you are already back down to 162 innings, which is well within that range. You can't be afraid of letting him work through a dead arm period, but if he looks like it's catching up to him too quickly, you can just give him a rest.

The question is whether hanging the extra 10+ innings per starter on everyone else and the bullpen is really the best thing for them.

The best scenario would be the Sox starters are good enough that Rodon can stay in the minors all season and get called up in September. He can enjoy watching the 2015 Sox in the World Series and then join the rotation in spring 2016.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
The best scenario would be the Sox starters are good enough that Rodon can stay in the minors all season and get called up in September. He can enjoy watching the 2015 Sox in the World Series and then join the rotation in spring 2016.

I kinda like this scenario, especially the part where he watches the Sox WIN the World Series...lol

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)

You're absolutely correct.

And the best scenario for hi8is for 2015 would be waking up to a doctor telling me I've been the first human ever to be medically gifted an eternal life, that I now have a fifteen inch penis, and that anytime I say the word "poop" a million dollars will be deposited into my bank account.

Poop.

You catch my drift, sonny?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)

And the best scenario for hi8is for 2015 would be waking up to a doctor telling me I've been the first human ever to be medically gifted an eternal life, that I now have a fifteen inch penis, and that anytime I say the word "poop" a million dollars will be deposited into my bank account.

Poop.

ahhh me don't understand. explain pls.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 02:54 AM)

Poop.

Wouldn't 10-12" be more ideal?

Lyle Mouton.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 06:09 AM)
Wouldn't 10-12" be more ideal?

Lyle Mouton.

You've gotta improve what you've got in the realm of baseless fantasy.

The thing with fantasy thou - it never pans out in reality.

Meaning, every woman would then be scared for me in an eternity and thus I'd be regulated to mainly anal escapades.

Akin to that Johna Falco fellow.

What the f*** happened?