Dioner Navarro?

BlackSox13

Now that Toronto has Martin, Navarro and Thole for catchers, its likely one of Navarro or Thole gets moved. Any Sox fans interested in Navarro?

I think Navarro is the likely catcher to be moved since he's owed 5M going into 2015 so that would save some money for Toronto plus Thole catches for Dickey and his knuckler.

Thoughts?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
Wouldn't mind having him, but wouldn't give up anything of value to get him.

Agreed. I know 5M is a bit expensive for a platoon player but still a guy I would inquire about which I'm guessing Hahn has done. One idea that came up in another thread was seeing if Toronto would be interested in a Tank for Navarro swap since Toronto has a hole in the outfield.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
AA is a pretty good GM. He got a nice season out of Navarro for $3 million and now will deal him when he costs $5 million and his performance most likely will drop.

I don't know if I want anyone named Navarro on the White Sox anymore.

Nice! :lol:

I think Navarro would platoon well with Flowers and should Flowers miss time, Navarro hits well from both sides of the plate.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
If we intend on being very serious contenders, I think the move could be a beneficial one. If we are going to give it a conserted effort but more focused on long-term targets, then I think we are better served sticking with Flowers.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a platoon with Flowers. Navarro hits right handers better so it could work.

Agreed. I know 5M is a bit expensive for a platoon player but still a guy I would inquire about which I'm guessing Hahn has done. One idea that came up in another thread was seeing if Toronto would be interested in a Tank for Navarro swap since Toronto has a hole in the outfield.

I'm not very high on Tank, so I would do a Tank/Navarro swap.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
I'm thinking more along the lines of a platoon with Flowers. Navarro hits right handers better so it could work.

I know. My point was if the org is planning to contend, but more if most everything goes right, then I wouldn't tie-up 5M in resources for a platoon and would instead invest more at bats into Flowers and his development (cause we have more potential long-term upside). If we think we are going to be legit contenders, then I think the $5M spent to have an effective catcher platoon would be valuable.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
I'm still hoping this is Jason Castro. Seems like a completely logical White Sox move.

I think Castro is overrated. I'd like him and like to take my chances but I don't know that he can't kill you at the plate. I very much think he can. It is all in a matter of how he ultimately develops. Good thing about catchers is, they tend to develop more slowly so you can see more guys that were once highly touted eventually pan out and be productive.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
I'm not very high on Tank, so I would do a Tank/Navarro swap.

Same here. The nice thing about a move like that is it would only add 1M more to the payroll. This is based on Toronto having interest in Tank which, for some reason, I kinda doubt but who knows?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
I know. My point was if the org is planning to contend, but more if most everything goes right, then I wouldn't tie-up 5M in resources for a platoon and would instead invest more at bats into Flowers and his development (cause we have more potential long-term upside). If we think we are going to be legit contenders, then I think the $5M spent to have an effective catcher platoon would be valuable.

OK, I follow you. Saving the 5M could go towards another reliever like Duke while sticking with Flowers.

I'm actually fine with Flowers and will not complain if he's the primary catcher again in 2015.

It would be nice to see the Sox get a quality left handed hitting backup. No offense to Nieto but he has more to learn yet.

I like the idea of a Tank for Navarro swap but I'm not so sure the Jays would feel the same way.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
Same here. The nice thing about a move like that is it would only add 1M more to the payroll. This is based on Toronto having interest in Tank which, for some reason because he is terrible, I kinda doubt but who knows?

I clarified the reason. If Toronto makes that trade, I promise I will eat my hat.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
I am holding you to that one because there is a bit of logic behind that deal.

There is - it's almost a perfect storm.

1) Toronto is crowded at catcher and the odd man out has an easily movable contract.

2) The Sox are a team that would benefit from having two catchers splitting time.

3) Toronto is losing an incumbent outfielder.

But it's still predicated on somebody thinking Viciedo is not terrible, which I cannot imagine. It's like if I tried to speak Hungarian - my brain just can't make sense of it.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
I clarified the reason. If Toronto makes that trade, I promise I will eat my hat.

:lol:

I take you feel rather confident the Jays won't make a deal like that?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
I am holding you to that one because there is a bit of logic behind that deal.

Logic behind the deal of shysocks eating his hat or the Tank for Navarro swap? :P

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)

1) Toronto is crowded at catcher and the odd man out has an easily movable contract.

2) The Sox are a team that would benefit from having two catchers splitting time.

But it's still predicated on somebody thinking Viciedo is not terrible, which I cannot imagine. It's like if I tried to speak Hungarian - my brain just can't make sense of it.

Two of them actually. Melky and Rasmus.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
AA is a pretty good GM. He got a nice season out of Navarro for $3 million and now will deal him when he costs $5 million and his performance most likely will drop.

I don't know if I want anyone named Navarro on the White Sox anymore.

Jaime was enough for me too.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)

The thing is, it's not a stretch to say that both Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion sucked when they went to Toronto too and somehow, Toronto got through to them. It's not inconceivable.

Oh, and if the White Sox were offered Dioner Navarro straight up for Dayan Viciedo, and they turned it down without some shred of logic (like "we got a better offer for him" and not "we think Viciedo has more value than Navarro"), I may make the 837 mile trek to US Cellular Field and protest nude in January.

Compare the career stats for Navarro and Viciedo. Then, take into consideration that Navarro has had 5 years, in his prime, between ages 25 and 30.

Viciedo is just 25, and has his prime years ahead of him. I think it's reasonable to assume that Viciedo should improve his career stats over the next 5 years, while Navarro is likely passing his prime.

I'm not at all opposed to trading Dayan, but I'd think that they can get a better player for him. He still holds promise, which Navarro lacks. Navarro is what he is. I don't see any reason to expect him

to improve going forward. There are probably teams who believe Viciedo can still become a potent offensive player. That may, or may not be the case, but a 25 year old, who has already had two

seasons of 20 plus homers, one in fact with 25, might be tempting to a GM, looking for a RH power hitter.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 05:30 PM)
I think if the Sox could have gotten a better player for Tank, they would have by now.

And what is to say that they haven't been offered a better player than Navarro, and turned that down, as well?

What exactly is so special about Navarro?