Pirates DFA Ike Davis

Eminor3rd

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/pira...on-cabrera.html

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...amp;position=1B

Ok, I know, he hasn't been "good."

But, even though he's been replacement-level-ish when you factor in everything, he's only had one season where his bat was below average. He walks a lot and -- get this -- doesn't strike out a lot. His K rates have been around league average, and were actually below league average last year.

He's basically been like Adam Dunn in terms of total production, but getting there with less power and MUCH fewer strikeouts, too. His not-so-good year last year was characterized by a really low BABIP, and he still managed a 108 wRC+.

I don't know. The pro is that he'd basically be free, but the con is opportunity cost. If you got him, would you then give up on someone like LaRoche? Maybe not -- he's only going to cost like $4m or something, so you could theoretically acquire him and just DFA him if you land a bigger fish. This might be a better "insurance policy" than paying Viciedo the same salary.

This would be a much cheaper alternative to an old DH, but his performance is obviously riskier. But if you think that the Sox really aren't ready to "push in" this year, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to play for some upside in 2015. I mean, you can argue that it should be easy to go and get a DH next year if the team is a piece or two away going into 2016.

What do you think? Savvy or just "settling"?

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 12:16 AM)

But, even though he's been replacement-level-ish when you factor in everything, he's only had one season where his bat was below average. He walks a lot and -- get this -- doesn't strike out a lot. His K rates have been around league average, and were actually below league average last year.

He's basically been like Adam Dunn in terms of total production, but getting there with less power and MUCH fewer strikeouts, too. His not-so-good year last year was characterized by a really low BABIP, and he still managed a 108 wRC+.

I don't know. The pro is that he'd basically be free, but the con is opportunity cost. If you got him, would you then give up on someone like LaRoche? Maybe not -- he's only going to cost like $4m or something, so you could theoretically acquire him and just DFA him if you land a bigger fish. This might be a better "insurance policy" than paying Viciedo the same salary.

This would be a much cheaper alternative to an old DH, but his performance is obviously riskier. But if you think that the Sox really aren't ready to "push in" this year, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to play for some upside in 2015. I mean, you can argue that it should be easy to go and get a DH next year if the team is a piece or two away going into 2016.

I think is a good move on 2 reason.

1. isn't there a rule that if someone claims a player then you can pull back

the rest of the players?

2. the Pirates have some interesting names there. like Ramon Cabrera cat / dh

and I believe 1b.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 12:34 AM)
I'm not sure if this is a good move or not, but I like finding alternatives to paying decent players $15M a season. I have a bad feeling if we take that route, we're going to be stuck with players not worth their contracts and little/no flexibility.

it all depends on the player the sox are picking. so far Hahn been made smart

moves. it is how the sox look at the players. like an example, Cory Hart,

is a 1b, dh (by default) and RF. last yr, 2014 he didn't hit too good. 2013, he was

injured but all the yr before then was 270+ batting avg and nice hrs.

well is he worth the gamble?? how bout salary??

it is on how people will look at it.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)

I like Ike. Sorry just wanted to say that and see if any of the youngsters know what it means. Heck it was 6/7 years before I was born when that sayng became popular. Too early for Mr. Davis unless it's a minor league deal . Still have the major pieces to add . But after that the Sox can look fore spare parts and what they will get paid.

I like "Crash" Davis too . Is he available ?

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 09:49 PM)
I'm not against scooping up Ike Davis if the Sox have a platoon in mind, sadly that probably means the platoon would be with Tank. No matter what it must be a platoon because Ike Davis CANNOT hit lefties and makes Gillaspie look good.

That would be okay for a cheap stopgap.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 11:02 PM)
I would mind. Could certainly do worse.

Edit: so long as at least one other major bat is added such as Melky or Sandoval.

L Eaton (CF)

S Cabrera (LF)

L Davis (1B)

R Abreu (DH)

L Gillaspie (3B)

R Garcia (RF)

S Semien (2B)

R Ramirez (SS)

R Flowers (CA)

The Orioles aren't just going to give us Chris Davis.

He's coming off a troubled 2014, and they're not going to get 2013/prime value for him, so why would they sell at his lowest value and put all their eggs in the Pearce (a guy waived/DFA'ed a number of times, even last year) basket?

It just doesn't make much sense.

Another name to consider in the Ike Davis category is Garrett Jones, if the Marlins make another move on the infield to go with the Stanton extension.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 12:53 AM)
The Orioles aren't just going to give us Chris Davis.

He's coming off a troubled 2014, and they're not going to get 2013/prime value for him, so why would they sell at his lowest value and put all their eggs in the Pearce (a guy waived/DFA'ed a number of times, even last year) basket?

It just doesn't make much sense.

Another name to consider in the Ike Davis category is Garrett Jones, if the Marlins make another move on the infield to go with the Stanton extension.

Who said anything about Chris Davis?

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 06:42 PM)
I'd rather have Davis than LaRoche.

I would too, it's a much better upside move. Just keep him away from lefties and you've got yourself a good hitter, and cheap.

And Davis isn't good enough to force you to scrap any potential rotating DH plan if you brought him in, so that could still be a possibility.

Normally not one for rosterbating but here we go.

Lineup:

L Eaton

S Melky (4 years, $60 million)

R Abreu

L Davis

R Avisail

L Gillaspie

R Alexei

R Flowers

R Semien

Bench:

R Viciedo

S Sanchez

S Nieto

L JorDanks

L Shuck

Rotation:

L Sale

L Quintana

R McCarthy (3 years, $42 million)

L Danks

R Noesi

Bullpen:

R Petricka

R Putnam

L Duke

R Guerra

L Surkamp

R Carroll

That's a .500 team with room to get better, no?

A middle of the order hitter, who is virtually an automatic out versus LH pitching, is problematical. If the opposing manager brings in a lefty to face him late in the game, you really almost have to

pinch hit someone for him. Pulling your clean up hitter for a pinch hitter is a tough way to go.

That said, Ike Davis has been a pretty good hitter, vs. RH pitching.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
Normally not one for rosterbating but here we go.

Lineup:

L Eaton

S Melky (4 years, $60 million)

R Abreu

L Davis

R Avisail

L Gillaspie

R Alexei

R Flowers

R Semien

Bench:

R Viciedo

S Sanchez

S Nieto

L JorDanks

L Shuck

Rotation:

L Sale

L Quintana

R McCarthy (3 years, $42 million)

L Danks

R Noesi

Bullpen:

R Petricka

R Putnam

L Duke

R Guerra

L Surkamp

R Carroll

That's a .500 team with room to get better, no?

Hm. Mayyyybe. I mean you're still really grasping for straws with both Noesi and Danks in the rotation. And while McCarthy is good, he's got a higher than normal chance to be injured. And Davis is an upside guess, and that's still a weak bullpen.

I guess I just think that McCarthy should go to a team looking for a short-term boost.