Jay Bruce

macsandz

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)
Shelby Miller isn't anywhere near as good as Jose Quintana and, at their peaks, I'd say Heyward is slightly better than Bruce. Bruce is coming off the worst season of his career.

Frankly, if it were up to me, and they said "we want Quintana," I'd hang up the phone.

kind of subtle ..... but i like it. :D

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
Shelby Miller isn't anywhere near as good as Jose Quintana and, at their peaks, I'd say Heyward is slightly better than Bruce. Bruce is coming off the worst season of his career.

Frankly, if it were up to me, and they said "we want Quintana," I'd hang up the phone.

Plus the value of Q's dirt cheap contract that keeps him under team control through 2018 with team options on Q for 2019/2020.

Its not Q+ for Bruce, its Bruce+ for Q or like you said, hang up the phone.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
Plus the value of Q's dirt cheap contract that keeps him under team control through 2018 with team options on Q for 2019/2020.

Its not Q+ for Bruce, its Bruce+ for Q or like you said, hang up the phone.

The value Quintana brings to the table is insane both intrinsically and extrinsically. Frankly, I was struggling whether or not I'd deal him for Giancarlo Stanton 2-3 months ago and then Stanton went and signed a $325 million deal. I'm definitely not trading Quintana for him now, not when he's going to cost $300 million more.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 10:55 PM)
The value Quintana brings to the table is insane both intrinsically and extrinsically. Frankly, I was struggling whether or not I'd deal him for Giancarlo Stanton 2-3 months ago and then Stanton went and signed a $325 million deal. I'm definitely not trading Quintana for him now, not when he's going to cost $300 million more.

a nice thought all around.

but like it was said the other day on the dodgers talk. the rtn for Alexei is huge, I could

envision the same being said on Q as well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)

Well, to be fair, for the same term, it would be more like $60 million more ;)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
Then you would be left with the same issues the Angels and Dodgers are having with Hamilton, Pujols, Ethier, Kemp and Crawford.

Not necessarily. First, he's not going to be 34 until 2025 ;)

Secondly, $30 million in 12 years may likely not be as penal then as it would seem today.

Thirdly, he could opt out in 2020.

But I smell what you are stepping in ;)

Edited by iamshack

the sox are definitely in an enviable position. they have there main players spread

out and sign to nice contract. I keep seeing how the Phillies, Dodgers, and some

others teams who have a burdensome contract with some players and can't get

rid of them.

I want to shout out now, but the sox are no where near that problem, just yet. so

if it come to be, the sox do get Bruce, let him play out his contract and go the FA

route. offer him a QO and get a draft pick the young prospects the sox have, will

be needing room to come on up.

let the natural attrition of players leaving happen.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)

I remember that Wite and I'm with you on that.

Only two things couldl get me on board with the idea of trading Q. 1- the Sox end up admitting they are going to continue to draft/ trade for and develope more talent for one more season thus likely not be contenders in 2015 ( I doubt they will anyway) and 2- it would have to be for a package of top prospects that were within a year of so of being MLB contributors. Guys like Seager, Pederson and possibly Urias, though I think Urias' talent is ahead of his arm endurance and will spend a few more seasons in the minors building up innings even though his stuff is just about MLB ready now according to things I've recently read.

IMHO, trading Q for three years of Bruce who is coming off of his worst season as a MLB ball player is just a stupid dumb f***in idea man. I believe that in the business world you have to maintain good relations, speak well and carry yourself well but if Cincy's GM called me proposing Q + for Bruce, I would fly out to Cincy to cuss his ass out, whoop his rooty tooth candy ass, throw him into the back of my car and drop him off at a pig farm. And that's if I'm in a good mood.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 11:55 PM)
I remember that Wite and I'm with you on that.

Only two things couldld get me on board with the idea of trading Q. 1- the Sox end up admitting they are going to continue to draft/ trade for and develope more talent for one more season thus likely not be contenders in 2015 ( I doubt they will anyway) and 2- it would have to be for a package of top prospects that were within a year of so of being MLB contributors. Guys like Seager, Pederson and possibly Urias, though I think Urias' talent is ahead of his arm endurance and will spend a few more seasons in the minors building up innings even though his stuff is just about MLB ready now according to things I've recently read.

IMHO, trading Q for three years of Bruce who is coming off of his worst season as a MLB ball player is just a stupid dumb f***in idea man. I believe that in the business world you have to maintain good relations, speak well and carry yourself well but if Cincy's GM called me proposing Q + for Bruce, I would fly out to Cincy to cuss his ass out, whoop his rooty tooth candy ass, throw him into the back of my car and drop him off at a pig farm. And that's if I'm in a good mood.

let me ask this, but let me say this first. I do not want to trade Q.

if the sox makes a trade for a prize piece of a missing part of a puzzle, the sox will need to

make that trade. I don't know if Bruce is that piece or not.

next the sox will of course continue to draft to replenish the system, that is understood. now I may have

misread your intention on the bolded.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 06:02 PM)
let me ask this, but let me say this first. I do not want to trade Q.

if the sox makes a trade for a prize piece of a missing part of a puzzle, the sox will need to

make that trade. I don't know if Bruce is that piece or not.

next the sox will of course continue to draft to replenish the system, that is understood. now I may have

misread your intention on the bolded.

I have three problems with trading Q for Bruce. 1- Q+ is the proposal and I don't care who says what, Bruce does not have Q's value so what is the deal with the Sox giving up Q+ for Bruce? 2- if the Sox are going to trade an insanely valuable asset like Q, why for a player coming off of his worst year ever as a major leaguer? Just dumb. 3- The Sox have but two reliable pitchers the rotation and trading one of them is lights years beyond moronic. May as well trade Sale and Abreu and have a top farm like the cubs/ BoSox and Cards.

I'm not against trading any player but the trade has to be a smart trade and as I've said, Q+ for Bruce is an idiot trade. Hahn would be crucified and justly so.

If in fact Cincy's GM asked for Q+ in return for Bruce, I would feed him to the pigs myself.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 12:13 AM)
I have three problems with trading Q for Bruce. 1- Q+ is the proposal and I don't care who

says what, Bruce does not have Q's value so what is the deal with the Sox giving up Q+ for Bruce?

2- if the Sox are going to trade an insanely valuable asset like Q, why for a player coming off of

his worst year ever as a major leaguer? Just dumb.

3- The Sox have but two reliable pitchers

the rotation and trading one of them is lights years beyond moronic. May as well trade Sale and

Abreu and have a top farm like the cubs/ BoSox and Cards.

I'm not against trading any player but the trade has to be a smart trade and as I've said,

Q+ for Bruce is an idiot trade. Hahn would be crucified and justly so.

If in fact Cincy's GM asked for Q+ in return for Bruce, I would feed him to the pigs myself.

for me, #1 I agree, however the baseball pro's may have other thoughts.

#2 is just an extension of 1.

#3 I think the sox brass knows there is a limited time of assembling a good team to compete.

I trust them they have a pict and a game plan and I am sure they are following it.

I agree about the value of Q, btw nice way of getting rid of a body without any traces.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 12:30 AM)
Just throwing it out there, but the Nationals are reportedly making their starters available to make a run at Scherzer.

This whole Q+ thing gets me thinking of Bruce and one of Fister/Zimermann/Strasburg. I think the Nationals could be that third team.

interesting...... but how can the sox help there beside Q. what will come back to the sox??

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 06:41 PM)
There is no way the Nats are going to trade Strasburg and in order to go after Scherzer. For one, the fans would form a mob. And a 1-2 punch of those two in a rotation is downright nasty. If they are going to shed salary, it's going to be Fister or Zimmermann.

I agree, just throwing it out there. I would love Zimmermann (with an extension) and Bruce in a Sox uniform.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:21 PM)
Sox get Jay Bruce

Reds get Jordan Zimmermann, Dayan Viciedo

Nats get 2 of these three: Danish, Montas, Adams

Nats get the salary relief they so desperately crave to sign Scherzer. Reds get their good SP. Sox get their LF.

Reds aren't looking to add payroll.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 05:21 PM)
Sox get Jay Bruce

Reds get Jordan Zimmermann, Dayan Viciedo

Nats get 2 of these three: Danish, Montas, Adams

Nats get the salary relief they so desperately crave to sign Scherzer. Reds get their good SP. Sox get their LF.

I don't think the Nats are looking to move Zimmerman for a bunch of guys who won't help them this year. I also don't think they would trade Zimmerman for all three of those guys you mentioned, let alone 2 of the three. I think the Sox would strong consider trading 2 of the 3 + Viciedo for Bruce though.