White Sox sign Adam LaRoche

Bigsoxhurt35

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:35 PM)
I expect from here, Sox will add at least three more starters (quality outfielder, closer, and a starting pitcher) at a minimum. I also still think a Dodgers / Sox deal makes too much sense.

Don't think a closer will be needed. But, definitely an outfielder and starting pitcher will be added.

I think OF via free agency and pitcher via trade.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His 2014 splits are crazy....620 OPS against LHP, .890 OPS against RHP. He's going to have to be platooned. I'm not a fan of sinking $12.5M into a platoon player BUT he's quite a dominant hitter against RHP, enough so that he'll change this line-up considerably when he's in it. With that said, unless Viciedo will be his platoon partner, this signing still leaves a hole for a RH DH or 1B.

I also agree that this signals that the Sox plan on being competitive next season which really surprises me. I thought it'd be 2016 before we threw our chips in.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 09:43 PM)
His 2014 splits are crazy....620 OPS against LHP, .890 OPS against RHP. He's going to have to be platooned. I'm not a fan of sinking $12.5M into a platoon player BUT he's quite a dominant hitter against RHP, enough so that he'll change this line-up considerably when he's in it. With that said, unless Viciedo will be his platoon partner, this signing still leaves a hole for a RH DH or 1B.

I also agree that this signals that the Sox plan on being competitive next season which really surprises me. I thought it'd be 2016 before we threw our chips in.

Viciedo is going to get what, like 4-7 million in arb? That's a pretty damn expensive DH platoon.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:39 PM)
awful, uninspired move. When did Kevin Towers take over for Hahn?

Counterpoint: He was very undervalued and with a limited number of landing spots. His age allows for the deal to be 2 years. Limited risk. No compensation pick. Pretty smart getting a guy who put up an .817 OPS last year and still leaving room for upgrades at other positions.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:33 PM)
Keep building for the future. Like I said, it's only 2 years so there isn't a ton to complain about, but I'm just not a fan of stop gap old players at this point. Unless Hahn has something big still hidden under his sleeve that would make us legit contenders...

But LaRoche doesn't prevent us building for the future. He costs us nothing but money and is blocking no one of importance (sorry Andy Wilkins).

Also, I think Hahn believes a lot of key pieces are already in place. We have legit #1 & #2 starters, one of the best hitters in baseball, and a very good leadoff guy. We are obviously not a finished product by any means, but if Hahn can fill our major holes with capable veterans and a few of our young, non-proven players like Avi, Semien, Rodon, etc. take that next step, we have a decent chance of being a playoff team. Burning cost-controlled years of Sale, Quintana, Abreu, & Eaton by refusing to sign/trade for veterans is by far the worst thing we can do IMO.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:44 PM)
Viciedo is going to get what, like 4-7 million in arb? That's a pretty damn expensive DH platoon.

I know....and I don't like Viciedo in the platoon. The last 2 seasons his splits don't show that he's noticeably better against LHP...he pretty much blows against any pitcher.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 09:45 PM)
Counterpoint: He was very undervalued and with a limited number of landing spots. His age allows for the deal to be 2 years. Limited risk. No compensation pick. Pretty smart getting a guy who put up an .817 OPS last year and still leaving room for upgrades at other positions.

After looking at his splits and yea, no compensation pick, it's slightly more defensible. That said, still don't like it, unless it's part of many more moves that all make sense together, which could still happen.

QUOTE (daggins @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:34 PM)
This is just money. There is no deviation from building here.

It does in a way...can't go back from here. The idea of trading Alexei goes out the window, and even dumping Danks for a minimal return is also probably not going to happen either. And if you spend this $ on a 35 year old you pretty much have to spend the rest of whatever may be available the next 2 years or its an extremely pointless signing....I don't doubt we will still continue to build through the draft and international signings with Hahn in control, but I think this definitely signifies that the rebuild is over and they are focused on winning in the immediate future.

And I don't think its quite the time for any of that for the record.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:43 PM)
Not waste 25 million on LaRoche. DH types are a dime a dozen come January. Have no idea what the rush to make this move was. Yea they need a left handed bat, but they need a decent one. Not LaRoche.

How many better left handed bats are available without trading Q or Sale?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
But LaRoche doesn't prevent us building for the future. He costs us nothing but money and is blocking no one of importance (sorry Andy Wilkins).

Also, I think Hahn believes a lot of key pieces are already in place. We have legit #1 & #2 starters, one of the best hitters in baseball, and a very good leadoff guy. We are obviously not a finished product by any means, but if Hahn can fill our major holes with capable veterans and a few of our young, non-proven players like Avi, Semien, Rodon, etc. take that next step, we have a decent chance of being a playoff team. Burning cost-controlled years of Sale, Quintana, Abreu, & Eaton by refusing to sign/trade for veterans is by far the worst thing we can do IMO.

This move certainly makes a lot more sense as part of a push to fill the holes with 1-3 WAR regulars and make a push for the playoffs. If this signals that yea, they really do have 40 some million in payroll to play around with, ok fine.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 09:48 PM)
List any.

Eh, I literally have no idea who is available in a trade and who isn't. I'm not a huge fan of addressing weaknesses like this via FA for a team that's baseline is closer to 75 wins than 85.

As I said, if this is a move towards bumping the payroll the full 40 million or so -- fine. If not, well, it's even more puzzling.

He did mash RHP last year. I just don't like 1 skill players in general though. If he doesn't hit, he's worthless.

To me, this move signals an even stronger possibility that one Mr. Matt Kemp will be the outfielder we eventually get from the Dodgers. Kemp isn't so great defensively himself these days, so with us he would become the DH against LH starters, with a soon-to-be-named RH 4th outfielder starting in LF on those days. Then, in two years, Kemp slides over as the full time DH. Meanwhile, the middle of the order for the next couple of years would feature Abreu, LaRoche, Kemp and Garcia. Not too terribly shabby!

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:54 PM)
People have a bizarre relationship with the word "platoon."

How many starts do you expect/want from your 35 year-old 1B/DH? Does 130 sound OK?

Sure.

That's about what the left side of a platoon gets.

Terrible!! Platoon!!

2 years/$25 million might be bad for the right handed batting side of the platoon (think Jonny Gomes or Cody Ross), but not the lefty bat.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
Eh, I literally have no idea who is available in a trade and who isn't. I'm not a huge fan of addressing weaknesses like this via FA for a team that's baseline is closer to 75 wins than 85.

As I said, if this is a move towards bumping the payroll the full 40 million or so -- fine. If not, well, it's even more puzzling.

He did mash RHP last year. I just don't like 1 skill players in general though. If he doesn't hit, he's worthless.

He also is a plus defender and won a GG a couple of years ago.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:55 PM)
2 years/$25 million might be bad for the right handed batting side of the platoon (think Jonny Gomes or Cody Ross), but not the lefty bat.

Especially when he puts up 26 HRs 82 RBIs with a 817 OPS in a pitchers ballpark

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:06 PM)
Short deal, no draft pick comp, rests abreu, left handed power, doesnt't preclude us from upgrading the OF. Fair money. Love it

This. Perfect move for this team. Something big is on the way, I can feel it in my plums.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:47 PM)
After looking at his splits and yea, no compensation pick, it's slightly more defensible. That said, still don't like it, unless it's part of many more moves that all make sense together, which could still happen.

I think you have to assume more moves are coming. This won't be our big offensive addition, or at the very least there will be one of equal importance.

Also, I'm not a huge LaRoche by any means, but he's been damn good against RHP and the price isn't too crazy. I'm cool with rolling the dice and hoping he can maintain his production during his age 35 & 36 seasons if Hahn is serious about competing next year.