White Sox sign Adam LaRoche

Bigsoxhurt35

That's what the Oklahoma Song Bird is all about boys! Love it and there's plenty more s*** to come. :)

I actually told my physical therapist ( who hates LaRoche since he always slaughtered his Dodgers ) that I wanted him on the Sox.

The therapist responded, "you know your baseball - he's a great piece on a winning team... But I hate him too much to ever want him in dodger Blue."

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)
Despite a lot of message board posters asserting as fact what the payroll will be, they/we do not know. Why $25 and not $20 and not $30 and not $35?

I don't know what their payroll will be, but all the writers have alluded to a payroll between $95 and $100M. Based on our current commitments including LaRoche, that would put our available money around $25M. Maybe my math is slightly wrong, but the point is we should have a lot of money to spend. And quite frankly, I think we can probably afford a payroll above $100M, but that's just my speculation.

Interesting.

Doesn't make any sense to go halfway in now or this signing is mostly wasted on just 2016.

You could see the Danks/Ethier move back in play...trading Alexei makes less sense now.

They could go Rasmus (two years)/any closer not named Robertson for 2-3 years/Volquez or Brett Anderson and be fairly close to $40 million in new spending.

There's no way they can afford M.Cabrera and still have enough left for two more pitchers.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:24 PM)
I dig it, thought after VMart he made the most sense.

Now LF doesn't necessarily have to a LH hitter....Tomas?

Way too expensive for on the job training at $100 million or so.

They're taking the smarter approach...allocating the money across five players instead of just one or two. It won't drive pre-season sales as much as a big splashy signing but it will lead to a better overall team imo.

Edited by caulfield12

Was hoping we wouldn't go the LaRoche route as the lefty middle of order bat until Headley is off the market.

I think he's an OK signing, not one to get too excited about. 36 year old Konerko was better than 35 year old LaRoche. Would 36 year old LaRoche be better than 37 year old Konerko?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
I wasn't a big Avi fan, but he won me over getting back last year. He obviously wants to be great. I think he will be fine.

I agree, the dedication he showed to get back, when you combine it with his tools, gives you reasons for optimism.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:05 PM)
If they have another 20-25 million left to spend.

Melky 4 years/50 million

Trade for Bruce.

They don't have room for two more outfielders, and don't need two more guys who bat left handed (Cabrera being a switch hitter)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 0won)
Way too expensive for on the job training at $100 million or so.

They're taking the smarter approach...allocating the money across five players instead of just one or two. It won't drive pre-season sales as much as a big splashy signing but it will lead to a better overall team imo.

Tomas might possible take a 4/5 year deal (which won't be over 100) so he can enter free agency at 28/29 and have a chance at at a 6-7 year deal

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
What direction would you prefer?

Keep building for the future. Like I said, it's only 2 years so there isn't a ton to complain about, but I'm just not a fan of stop gap old players at this point. Unless Hahn has something big still hidden under his sleeve that would make us legit contenders...

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:35 PM)
I expect from here, Sox will add at least three more starters (quality outfielder, closer, and a starting pitcher) at a minimum. I also still think a Dodgers / Sox deal makes too much sense.

Not sure about closer, but I think they have a few creative trades coming in the next few weeks.

If I'm wrong, fine. But in three weeks I think Viciedo, Alexei, the Danks Bros, and Flowers are all gone.

2013 opening day lineup will be dust.