White Sox sign Adam LaRoche

Bigsoxhurt35

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)
Let's hope he can because as a regular, that's the only above average skill he has.

And that's the same point about Victor, Dunn, Abreu or LaRoche....and we've clearly upgraded 1b defensively when Abreu has to rest/is ouchy.

There's not a single player acquisition (and price tag) we couldn't all pick apart.

We have started an interesting trend of integrating more NL guys too, fwiw. Eaton, Davidson, Duke...now LaRoche.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:37 PM)
Yeah, this removes the need for Bruce but the other 2 still make sense unless they are willing to throw the dice on VicieD'Oh for another year.

I think they want to give Vic another year and not sell low on him.

I do hope they move Alexei. Most interested in Van Slyke among Dodger outfielders. Is arc is still heading up.

Don't need complainers on this team, esp with Ventura as manager.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:33 PM)
Why is that??

The dollar figures just don't add up with any of those guys to also be able to address our remaining pitching issues...without trading Alexei...which now makes little or no sense in the context of the LaRoche deal.

Crawford or Ethier and money for a Danks, that's much more likely.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:39 PM)
I think they want to give Vic another year and not sell low on him.

I do hope they move Alexei. Most interested in Van Slyke among Dodger outfielders. Is arc is still heading up.

Don't need complainers on this team, esp with Ventura as manager.

Getting LaRoche, no way you get rid of Alexei now unless an insane deal comes across Hahn's table.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:37 PM)
Yeah, this removes the need for Bruce but the other 2 still make sense unless they are willing to throw the dice on VicieD'Oh for another year.

Maybe Justin Upton is an idea as well.

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:40 PM)
I'm thinking we sign Aoki

The $7 million price tag fits but will he provide enough impact?

He's incredibly streaky offensively and completely unorthodox defensively...albeit he usually gets the job done. It would be an upgrade over Garcia who would probably move to LF.

But nobody will be dreaming at night like KW promised.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:44 PM)
The $7 million price tag fits but will he provide enough impact?

He's incredibly streaky offensively and completely unorthodox defensively...albeit he usually gets the job done. It would be an upgrade over Garcia who would probably move to LF.

But nobody will be dreaming at night like KW promised.

Well the answer to your first question is probably no. Signing Melky would be ideal. I think they'll end up with him and a catcher in the next few weeks.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:43 PM)

Multiply Heyward's cost by 1.5 at least.

For a one year, desperation go for it season? That would be the COMPLETELY the opposite of everything Hahn has preached for three seasons at the helm.

Edited by caulfield12

Smelled this one coming for awhile, and I like it, if he's used properly, i.e. not hitting vs. LHP if at all avoidable. Haven't gone through the thread, and I imagine it's been discussed, but I'm hoping the plan is to NOT have Tank as the lefty-hitting platoon partner at DH, as the last two years have had him performing almost equally crappy against both types.

Has to be someone else obtainable that could better fit the bill. Is Tank even movable in a power-starved market? I guess we'll know soon enough.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 06:52 PM)
Is Tank even movable in a power-starved market? I guess we'll know soon enough.

Hopefully it'll either be he's moved for someone or he's moved out the door for a cool few million dollars of savings... DFA style.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:43 PM)

A rent who will cost more in pitching than Heyward.

This was a solid move. He can hit, he can play the field, they wanted a LH bat, and we didn't have to squander prospects just to make sure we have nothing after 2015, like everyone here seems to want to do.

this is how you get competitive for today without damaging the future.

And the salary is reasonable.

Edited by GreenSox