Scott Carroll DFA

flavum

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
I'm guessing they have a handshake deal with Carroll to stay in the organization and be one of the first callups if needed.

I hope you're right.I like the idea of Carroll pitching out of the pen since he did well in limited time last year.

Loved Carroll's backstory, and I loved getting to help him edit the post he wrote for FutureSox. He's good people, and I'd say the Sox would love to keep him if no one picks him up on waivers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
I would have figured someone would take on Carroll.

They still might. He'll be on waivers for a while - this wasn't an outright assignment (yet).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 07:37 PM)
Loved Carroll's backstory, and I loved getting to help him edit the post he wrote for FutureSox. He's good people, and I'd say the Sox would love to keep him if no one picks him up on waivers.

They still might. He'll be on waivers for a while - this wasn't an outright assignment (yet).

this is one of those stories that people can think about. also this also show the horrible

side of baseball, the business side of it.

I will still be his fan.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)

Strategically, why waive instead of an outright assignment?

Good guy, good story. Got his service time for the pension so pretty much whatever else he can squeeze out of his arm is gravy. Certainly a testament to the power of hard work and perseverance.

That said, pretty much a dime a dozen long man with zero upside. Sox might be looking to find someone with a little more upside for the last pitcher on the roster in '15.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
Sox might be looking to find someone with a little more upside for the last pitcher on the roster in '15.

I think that's true - that's why guys like Cleto are still around.

Still, they keep around position players that have very little upside.