Scott Carroll DFA

flavum

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 07:07 PM)
Because he might pass through, where another team won't take him. That way they can keep him, and outright assign him to Charlotte.

I'm surprised this wasn't Wilkins.

If they simply DFA could another team have signed at any point, even after the Sox assigned him?

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 06:07 PM)
Because he might pass through, where another team won't take him. That way they can keep him, and outright assign him to Charlotte.

I'm surprised this wasn't Wilkins.

Me too, considering the signing was LaRoche. Maybe they felt Carroll was a better bet to go unclaimed?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
If they simply DFA could another team have signed at any point, even after the Sox assigned him?

He hasn't been assigned yet. He was Designated For Assignment, which means he is currently on the waiver wire. If he passes through, he can then be assigned outright (which I think he can then reject if he wants to, but I'm not sure on that one).

Nothing special about Carroll.

Thing about Wilkins is that, while he's unlikely to hit in the majors, he could, and it would be at a higher level than Carroll pitches. Plus, there are no hitters on the 40 other than the Major League starters.

And presuming that report on future sox was wrong about Rondon, the Sox don't seem to have much Rule 5 vulnerability.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 11:34 PM)

Thing about Wilkins is that, while he's unlikely to hit in the majors, he could, and it would be at a higher level than Carroll pitches. Plus, there are no hitters on the 40 other than the Major League starters.

And presuming that report on future sox was wrong about Rondon, the Sox don't seem to have much Rule 5 vulnerability.

I can see that positional players may be on the agenda come next draft.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
no, give up who and can the sox get actual value from that trade.

I can't think of a reason why they can't get actual value. I would think that, considering the market, that they would get plus value. Good prospects are currency, so I consider that value.

and it's not like the Sale situation where if you traded him and the prospects crapped out, you've really messed yourself up.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 12:22 AM)
I can't think of a reason why they can't get actual value. I would think that, considering the market, that they would get plus value. Good prospects are currency, so I consider that value.

and it's not like the Sale situation where if you traded him and the prospects crapped out, you've really messed yourself up.

I would Sale is close to untouchable as they come., any who, there is a huge entertaining debate

going on about Sale on another thread.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
He hasn't been assigned yet. He was Designated For Assignment, which means he is currently on the waiver wire. If he passes through, he can then be assigned outright (which I think he can then reject if he wants to, but I'm not sure on that one).

This isn't necessarily correct. As far as we know Carroll has not been waived, he's in purgatory for the next 10 days by the end of which the Sox must release or trade him they may also place him on waivers within 7 days with the intention of outrighting him to Charlotte. It's a minor distinction but possibly an important one, designating a player for assignment simply buys a team time when they need to immediately clear a spot on the 40 man roster, nothing more, the other options come after the DFA.

If the Sox feel he has some value and may be claimed on waivers they have 7 days to find a trade partner before waiving him.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
This isn't necessarily correct. As far as we know Carroll has not been waived, he's in purgatory for the next 10 days by the end of which the Sox must release or trade him they may also place him on waivers within 7 days with the intention of outrighting him to Charlotte. It's a minor distinction but possibly an important one, designating a player for assignment simply buys a team time when they need to immediately clear a spot on the 40 man roster, nothing more, the other options come after the DFA.

If the Sox feel he has some value and may be claimed on waivers they have 7 days to find a trade partner before waiving him.

Suppose we execute a trade that opens up spots on the roster before those deadlines pass. Could we add him back to the roster without risking him to waivers?

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
Suppose we execute a trade that opens up spots on the roster before those deadlines pass. Could we add him back to the roster without risking him to waivers?

A player can be optioned to the minors after being DFA though that wouldn't be an option at present time since there is no 25 man roster to option him from, also a player cannot be optioned if he was replaced on the 40 man roster with another player which Carroll was today by LaRoche.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 06:08 PM)
Scott Carroll is a guy you can't help but like and root for. Wish he could somehow still stay in the organization. Best of luck to him regardless.

Agreed. I usually don't care for that sappy stuff with pro athletes, but definitely rooting for him because of how long he fought to get to the majors.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 05:34 PM)

Which report was that? Did we report something on Rondon regarding this? Want to make sure we fix it if needed.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 06:40 PM)

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 07:16 PM)
A player can be optioned to the minors after being DFA though that wouldn't be an option at present time since there is no 25 man roster to option him from, also a player cannot be optioned if he was replaced on the 40 man roster with another player which Carroll was today by LaRoche.

Thanks for the clarification, always appreciated.