• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
they are the loveable losers.

the sox need to improve there own system, acquire what is necessary to

win another WS. then keep up the pressure. we as sox fans will

prevail.

Indeed. The Sox were the toast of the town 2005 - 2006 and then 2007 happened. All we have to show for it was Gordon Beckham maddening fans for 4 seasons.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
and oak made it to the playoff. but with that, oak always seems to flip

their players.

the sox have a great core to build from, JR need to spend a little

more. again, i am not talking Bos, Yanks, or even Dodgers salary.

They do because they can no longer afford them, if Oakland had a bigger payroll with Beane as their GM they would be able to keep said players. Yet it's amazing that every year with a payroll around $38-$45m that they're consistently on the better teams and one of best organizations in baseball.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 05:29 AM)
They do because they can no longer afford them, if Oakland had a bigger payroll with Beane as their GM they would be able to keep said players. Yet it's amazing that every year with a payroll around $38-$45m that they're consistently on the better teams and one of best organizations in baseball.

thanks and that is where i am going. Beane has no qualms of trading his players for

prospect and players mix.

the bottom line i was trying to point out the difference in quality in the GM's. however

i am really high on Hahn.

thanks and that is where i am going. Beane has no qualms of trading his players for

prospect and players mix.

the bottom line i was trying to point out the difference in quality in the GM's. however

i am really high on Hahn.

Both GM's have won the same number of pennants.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
and who has had most success?????

Hahn was dealt a pretty s***ty hand and has added a ton of talent to it in 2 years time. That'd be like comparing the Red Sox of the past 15 seasons to the Tampa Bay Rays of the past 2 years and saying "who has had more success?"

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 06:41 PM)
Hahn was dealt a pretty s***ty hand and has added a ton of talent to it in 2 years time. That'd be like comparing the Red Sox of the past 15 seasons to the Tampa Bay Rays of the past 2 years and saying "who has had more success?"

but someone mention that the 2 GM has 2 pennants. that is if the

whole things being equal.

difference of ideas of running a team.

anyway, my whole point is, i like Hahn and he got the team in a state

of complete shambles. the sox didn't even have a decent pot to piss in.

all this success is Hahn doing. he will build a future. As i said, Beane

will constantly trade the successful pieces for younger pieces to maintain

a salary the is set in stone, that salary is agree between him and the owner.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 07:08 PM)
Hahn in the sense that he has only failed to win a pennant twice but Beane has failed to win one 15 times.

ahah come on, you really don't expect to use that stat as a value answer???

there are too many intangibles in any situation that can be compare.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)

Yes he has. Let him keep doing what he's doing. We don't need to revert to the KW philosophy.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
Yes he has. Let him keep doing what he's doing. We don't need to revert to the KW philosophy.

KW philosphy is Hahns philosophy. Remember KWwanted to start the tear down 1 year earlier but JR wanted to try it for one more year with the veteran team. KW agreed with the change in the team direction. He always said there was a time when it was going to need to happen.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 07:41 PM)
KW philosphy is Hahns philosophy. Remember KWwanted to start the tear down 1 year earlier but JR wanted to try it for one more year with the veteran team. KW agreed with the change in the team direction. He always said there was a time when it was going to need to happen.

I ask this honestly and not with sarcasm but was the idea of " rebuilding on the fly" a few years ago KW's idea or was he just going with JR's plan? The "rebuild on the fly" stuff KW used to speak of sounds like the time frame you describe JR wanting to give it one more go.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 6, 2014 -> 01:41 AM)

i really respect your knowledge and general overall skills. however, i will take this with a grain of

salt. i really didn't believe it when it was posted before and i still don't. it reminds me of spinning

a bad situation.

but then again, what the hell do i know. :o

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 6, 2014 -> 02:01 AM)
I ask this honestly and not with sarcasm but was the idea of " rebuilding on the fly" a few years ago KW's idea or was he just going with JR's plan? The "rebuild on the fly" stuff KW used to speak of sounds like the time frame you describe JR wanting to give it one more go.

yeah i know what you mean, to me i would believe he is throwing JR under the bus for the

public consumptions.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 06:42 PM)
Then please explain to me why the Cubs draw well. They've had an even worse situation and yet they've never had any problem drawing fans.

They have an awesome bar [stadium] in a great neighborhood in the middle of the city

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 08:33 PM)
i really respect your knowledge and general overall skills. however, i will take this with a grain of

salt. i really didn't believe it when it was posted before and i still don't. it reminds me of spinning

a bad situation.

but then again, what the hell do i know. :o

This was just from what was reported and I'm taking at face value. KW said from about 2007 on that eventually they would do a complete rebuild when they thought the time was right. At tgat time he said that they still had a number of veterans performung well and they didn't feel it was time.

Thus is not some i side knowledge, just quotes from KW.

The Yankees are going to go with a purely defensive shortstop, to replace Jeter. In trading for Gregorius, they have pretty much

decided to accept the fact that SS will not provide any significant offense.

That approach would be fine with me, as far as our Sox go. I really still don't know just how good Alexei is defensively, at this

point in his career. We have gone round and round on this board, and I don't sense that there is any consensus.

Let me ask the question this way; If the Sox could fill another major hole, by trading Ramirez, is there anyone who could

fill his shoes, defensively? A few of you seemed to think that Saladino is the best defensive SS, who is reasonably close to

Major League ready. That surprises me, as I didn't think that he was more than an average SS. L. Garcia is supposed to be

pretty good with the leather, but his offense is pretty much a "black hole". Although scouting reports say that Diaz is a good

defensive SS, with a very good arm, everyone here completely dismissed the notion that he might get regular playing time,

if Alexei is traded. Semien is not a plus defender, and Sanchez is much better suited for 2ND.

I'm interested in this issue, because it still seems quite feasible that the front office could view Ramirez as one of their only good

trading "chips". With all of the middle infielders this organization has, it's pretty disappointing if none of them are good enough

to fill the hole at SS, that would be created by the departure of Alexei, especially if we are only talking about a really good defensive

SS, with little consideration to offensive production.

If the Sox could acquire a middle of the order bat, for that last outfield spot, is it really that important if they get much production

out of SS? The Yankees don't seem to mind going that route, and they have bigger shoes to fill than the Sox would, if Alexei left.

Ramirez has been good, but he isn't the icon that Jeter has been in N.Y. We all know that Jeter was not really a very good defensive

SS, in recent years. Nevertheless, it is N. Y. and they are replacing a "legend" with a "no hit", defensive wizard.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 6, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
The Yankees are going to go with a purely defensive shortstop, to replace Jeter. In trading for Gregorius, they have pretty much

That approach would be fine with me, as far as our Sox go. I really still don't know just how good Alexei is defensively, at this

point in his career. We have gone round and round on this board, and I don't sense that there is any consensus.

Let me ask the question this way; If the Sox could fill another major hole, by trading Ramirez, is there anyone who could

fill his shoes, defensively? A few of you seemed to think that Saladino is the best defensive SS, who is reasonably close to

Major League ready. That surprises me, as I didn't think that he was more than an average SS. L. Garcia is supposed to be

pretty good with the leather, but his offense is pretty much a "black hole". Although scouting reports say that Diaz is a good

defensive SS, with a very good arm, everyone here completely dismissed the notion that he might get regular playing time,

if Alexei is traded. Semien is not a plus defender, and Sanchez is much better suited for 2ND.

I'm interested in this issue, because it still seems quite feasible that the front office could view Ramirez as one of their only good

trading "chips". With all of the middle infielders this organization has, it's pretty disappointing if none of them are good enough

to fill the hole at SS, that would be created by the departure of Alexei, especially if we are only talking about a really good defensive

If the Sox could acquire a middle of the order bat, for that last outfield spot, is it really that important if they get much production

out of SS? The Yankees don't seem to mind going that route, and they have bigger shoes to fill than the Sox would, if Alexei left.

He's been good, but he isn't the icon that Jeter has been in N.Y. We all know that Jeter was not really a very good defensive SS,

in recent years. Nevertheless, it is N. Y. and they are replacing a "legend" with a no hit, defensive wizard.

I agree. If Alexei goes, it should be the best defensive option available especially if Hahn continues to acquire groundball type pitchers.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 6, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)

Ramirez has been good, but he isn't the icon that Jeter has been in N.Y. We all know that Jeter was not really a very good defensive

SS, in recent years. Nevertheless, it is N. Y. and they are replacing a "legend" with a "no hit", defensive wizard.

Im not sure thats entirely the case regarding the Yankees. If it was, why not just use Brendan Ryan everyday at SS and keep Shane Greene? Gregorius has the ability/potential to hit righties.

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Dec 6, 2014 -> 05:59 PM)
Im not sure thats entirely the case regarding the Yankees. If it was, why not just use Brendan Ryan everyday at SS and keep Shane Greene? Gregorius has the ability/potential to hit righties.

Would they have confidence in Ryan staying healthy as an everyday player?